Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[smilie=ughug.gif] hello out there in gearhead land.. i was wondering, is it actually worth puttin an aftermarket tachometer on the "L" or is the factory tach acurate enought to leave it alone? i noticed some differences while doing diagnostics with my predator tuner, for example 2,000 RPMs is like 2,750 RPMs.. so tell me please does anyone know? if nobody knows, then i will try to find out when i drop off my "L" to PSP for my Stage II cams tomorrow.. thanks

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm not sure either? I do suspect mine is a little lower than actual. Only about 200 rpms at redline though.

Rich

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
the only people i know running aftermarket tach have monster tachs mounted on their dashboards next to the pillar. they are bracket racers, and it helps them see the tach to get it to the same launch rpm, without having to look away from the tree very much.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I can say that the last time I dynoed my truck I told the guy we'd run to 5700 rpm. So I let off at exactly that rpm and his dyno showed just over 6000 rpm. I've also noticed the same thing when datalogging that the rpms on the datalog/computer are always higher than what the tach shows. So I'd say my tach reads low.

Jody

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've also noticed the same thing when datalogging that the rpms...
I was datalogging Sun and saw the same thing for the first time. I believe I hit the fuel cutout? Going to the track tomarrow and will pay closer attention.

Rich

·
Banned
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
then i guess its pretty safe to say that putting an aftermarket tach in is not only a good idea but safer so your not over revving. and sure enough i went to PSP today drop my "L" off for the cams install and i forgot to ask Sal.

·
Registered
158 Posts
In this day of sensors measuring hundreds of things a second they could get a stupid tach on the money.
Seems since they are not mech. and are run off of ele. they could be dead nuts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts