Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Her name Bubbles
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I put a ported Eaton on my truck with new maf, sbtb,60 lb injectors, new plugs, lower 6lb pulley with a new tune. So there is a really really loud whistling sound now, so loud it actually hurts my ears. Any ideas what I may have messed up on and what this could be?

·
Her name Bubbles
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put all new gaskets on it except the plenum to the super charger gasket, just reused the old one wich wasnt in the best shape. I'm thinking that is my problem.

·
Her name Bubbles
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a video of it at the moment, truck is at a buddy's shop at the moment. I will post a video of it tomorrow tho. Truck idled fine for a few and as soon as I took of for a test run, the noise showed up. Going to replace the gasket thay I'm suspecting to be the culprit tomorrow as well

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Plenum to sc

·
Her name Bubbles
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vacuum lines will all be checked tomorrow when I have the plenum off. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm hoping to have this fixed tomorrow.

·
White Lightning!
3,584 Posts
Its been my experience that if an unmetered air leak happens somewhere between the MAF and lower intake, it will set the CEL and you'll likely have a lean code. Are u seeing any codes?

·
Her name Bubbles
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygi1bwepr2g&feature=youtu.be

I took this video today after I changed the plenum to blower gasket and checked all my vacuum lines. It continues for a second or two after I shut the truck off, like it is bleeding off. If I missed a vacuum line, you guys have any idea which direction this would be pointing to? The truck is also not throwing any codes yet.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
that is not coming from a vacuum line...im guessing either bearing inside is damaged or something is rubbing inside.....pull the blower belt off and see if the noise is still there.

·
playing in the dirt
1,440 Posts
you might try taking that breather off the oil fill, since your PCV is still connected.

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,411 Posts
Once you get the belt off, and perhaps the sound is gone, try spinning the idlers to see if there's any resistance or noise. If you're lucky, it's a bad idler bearing. Spin the blower while the belts off too. Listen carefully, it could be the blower. I might even check the accessory belt and idlers too. And don't forget the tensioner idlers.

That whistle is louder than my cogs and it's so high pitched it'd drive most people nuts.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I had a noise just like that earlier this year. My midplate gasket flattened out in the front behind the blower pulley (lost the stamped ridge). Smoke test found the leak real quick. I think air is passing by your steel gasket and causing a whistle. I would pull the blower and inspect all steel gaskets.

Post a video of it running then turn it off. I would like to hear the noise as the engine stops.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Vacuum leak friend of mine had same issue, it was piece of grit between metal gasket and blower. Sounded exactly like that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts