11.42 @119.87 Stock Block
2,955 Posts
Comp R was
made by Bassani

Reactions: Dusten

·
Registered
66 Posts
I hqve stainless wors 3" hihh quality not to loud ,have tje quieter of two mfflers offered.but not cheap

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Does anyone really know what the difference(s) is/are between the ARH and the 'super special' JLP ARH systems? Tips sound to be the same size, mufflers, at least externally, look the same, headers don't appear to be stepped.

Curious what the real differences are from the original ARH and what would make it better than JLP's previous CompR, which he touted as the best possible exhaust one could ever grace an L with...until his ARH came out, that is.

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,602 Posts
Does anyone really know what the difference(s) is/are between the ARH and the 'super special' JLP ARH systems? Tips sound to be the same size, mufflers, at least externally, look the same, headers don't appear to be stepped.

Curious what the real differences are from the original ARH and what would make it better than JLP's previous CompR, which he touted as the best possible exhaust one could ever grace an L with...until his ARH came out, that is.
The bassani comp r was plagued with leaks. The header design made it very hard to get a mid pipe fit without leaks.

As for the jlp arh. The muffler is externally the same, but that doesn't mean it is. Arh and jlp even have special badges.

The tips are different
These are the jlp tips

These are my arh tips

The headers are clearly stepped.

·
Registered
847 Posts
The other thread says that jlp changed the internals for a deeper sound. Both have 4 inch tips. I cant tell much dif in the 2 pics of the tips? And as stated they are stepped at the headers

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,602 Posts
The other thread says that jlp changed the internals for a deeper sound. Both have 4 inch tips. I cant tell much dif in the 2 pics of the tips? And as stated they are stepped at the headers
The jlp look single wall. The arh are double wall.

I'm referring to the tips

Reactions: dameon911

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The bassani comp r was plagued with leaks. The header design made it very hard to get a mid pipe fit without leaks.

As for the jlp arh. The muffler is externally the same, but that doesn't mean it is. Arh and jlp even have special badges.

The headers are clearly stepped.
I remember the Comp R and how once you got it to seal you never took it apart again, which is one of the reasons I went with the ARH in the first place.

So a muffler badge, maybe a different muffler, different and what I would call 'cheaper' tips ,in that they aren't double-walled', and I hadn't noticed the stepping on the headers when I originally looked at the picture.

Any idea what they're stepped from/to? I'm not wholly convinced a stepped header is a huge benefit and I imagine any gain is going to be very dependent upon the truck, amount of boost, cam profiles, type of heads, etc. I know Johnny is a pretty big proponent of worked PI castings so I'm curious what kind of gain one might see in going from a truck with worked PI heads to another truck with full-blown Trick Flows.

Marty's truck tells me that the 'old' ARH's seem to work just fine...

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,602 Posts
Marty's truck hasn't had exhaust for a while.
I have no idea what benefits the JLP system has. I personally won't buy his shit.
I have an ARH system I installed over the past summer. It's top-notch, the headers are kind of a bitch due to a few bolts, and honestly, at 2500 rpm and part throttle(very common due to my converter), it sounds like a wet towel flapping.
At idle it's quiet and I like it. At wot, it's unbelievably loud.

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,552 Posts
My truck went deep into the 9's with the full ARH system, I pulled the cat back off and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have no idea what benefits the JLP system has. I personally won't buy his shit.
That makes two of us and I was more curious than anything as I'll never buy anything from him either after buying his 'cold air intake' with the vacuum tubing and Home Depot 'inlet scoop' and the spot welds on the airbox were awesome.
My truck went deep into the 9's with the full ARH system, I pulled the cat back off and haven't looked back.
Kind of backs-up my claim...

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,602 Posts
That makes two of us and I was more curious than anything as I'll never buy anything from him either after buying his 'cold air intake' with the vacuum tubing and Home Depot 'inlet scoop' and the spot welds on the airbox were awesome.

Kind of backs-up my claim...
I had to beat his ic res and coolant res into place.

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,602 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
There are fabrication shops that could do much better job for that price, A friend has a full titanium system on his nova paid half that and is all vband

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,602 Posts
There are fabrication shops that could do much better job for that price, A friend has a full titanium system on his nova paid half that and is all vband
He paid $1500 for full titanium vband, long tubes, exhaust, tips and mufflers?
I need a receipt.

Reactions: Struck in AZ

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
And my neighbor's brother-in-law's mailman's cousin had four full systems made completely from Inconel and the shop that did them only took 29 minutes and charged $8.88 total, including shipping.

I needed a Ti O2 sensor bung welded into a mid-pipe for a motorcycle and the Ti bung was $30.00 and the welding was another $125, which included removal of the smaller bung sized for the OEM narrowband O2 sensor.

No one is getting a full Ti system for a car for that price...hell, full Ti systems for my bikes, which only happen to have a single header, were $1,800 for one and the other was $2,500. And there is a huge amount less material in a bike exhaust.

Two feet of Ti tubing in a 1.5" diameter is $75, give or take, so just in piping, not including collectors, flanges, V-bands, etc. you'd have roughly $900 (assuming each head pipe is roughly 36" and not factoring in any waste) and then add in some Ti V-bands at roughly $150 each.

I'll call BS on this one...unless that 'fabrication shop' is into doing charity work I'd say the only thing fabricated is the story.

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,602 Posts
And my neighbor's brother-in-law's mailman's cousin had four full systems made completely from Inconel and the shop that did them only took 29 minutes and charged $8.88 total, including shipping.

I needed a Ti O2 sensor bung welded into a mid-pipe for a motorcycle and the Ti bung was $30.00 and the welding was another $125, which included removal of the smaller bung sized for the OEM narrowband O2 sensor.

No one is getting a full Ti system for a car for that price...hell, full Ti systems for my bikes, which only happen to have a single header, were $1,800 for one and the other was $2,500. And there is a huge amount less material in a bike exhaust.

Two feet of Ti tubing in a 1.5" diameter is $75, give or take, so just in piping, not including collectors, flanges, V-bands, etc. you'd have roughly $900 (assuming each head pipe is roughly 36" and not factoring in any waste) and then add in some Ti V-bands at roughly $150 each.

I'll call BS on this one...unless that 'fabrication shop' is into doing charity work I'd say the only thing fabricated is the story.

View attachment 543237
Especially since you can't bend ti.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts