Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
this all started last saturday, i rolled a zo6 on the way home. got to a red light and noticed truck wasn't runnig quite right. pulled over and noticed i seemed to have developed a loud exhaust leak and thought maybe the (OBX clamps) had come loose and i would tighten once i got home. well i went to pull off and under any load the truck pops and backfires like hell. i drove it to randys and let him look at it, it was on my way home. he says that clamp had come loose and it sounded like i blew out drivers side exhaust manifold gasket. also saw that i sucked the rubber pcv valve grommet into the plenum. checked #1 and #8 plugs. plugs looked good and put a piece of high heat tape over opening for grommet. drove it home and stayed out of boost whole way and barley gave it gas. got home and checked plugs. #6 was ate up pretty good and #7 was a little messed up. replaced and re gapped at .25 and checked the rest and they were all good. cranked it and still raising all kinds of hell under load, popping and just not running right. changed drivers side manifold gasket(s) and checked all exhaust couplings for leaks and found on pass side (HI FLO) cat, the top stud by the 02 sensor, the nut had come off and had a fairly large opening from doing so. found a nut to tighten everything back up and in process, stripped nut or stud,not sure which (called it a night after that) but it closed it up almost all the way and no air seems to be coming out. but its still popping and raising hell under load and just doesn't idle smooth in gear like normal and still has loud "exhaust leak" sound. not a tick, more of a big ass leak sound. but i don't know where or what it is, I'm stumped. while in park truck sounds fine fine other than noise, only under load does it do all the popping. is it possible that one of the coils has gone bad?? would that have been evident when i pulled plugs?? I'm off call tonight so I'm going to mess with it more tomorrow and i don't want to keep bugging randy as he's helper me A LOT as it is and don't want to be "that guy" that only calls when he needs something. just wondering if anyone had ideas or suggestions. ill get a video up tomorrow too. thanks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Compression check the chewed plug cylinders for sure, bore scope them if you can. This sounds like a bent/burnt valve when spark plug shrapnel got caught in the seat on exit. Sorry, not good news but a place to look for the problem.
This. And, a leakdown test.

Do you have a picture of the plugs?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also today i checked the coil packs by removing them one by one as truck was running and noticed number 6 had no effect when unplugged but all others did, so i replaced with cheap durmast, all i could get my hands on at time. noticed no immediate difference, it still idles fine, no skips or anything, but give it gas and it pops and backfires like in the video, i got called back into work and haven't had a chance to mess with since. i have a few more questions. is it possible that when the chain of events took place a coil pack could have also "gone out"? i also had no CEL during this whole ordeal until i unplugged coils, but even at that, i didn't get 8 codes after unplugging 8 coils, only got 3. shouldn't i? i cleared them and they never lit up again... I'm going to get the entire OBX system welded tomorrow and see if the "exhaust leak" noise goes away, also going to see if he can do a smoke test while I'm there, heard a lot of things about the guy and not one bad thing. also the guy I'm taking it to has a drag car, so maybe he's somewhat mechanically inclined... and has a few ideas...

·
Whipple Powered
3,850 Posts
My truck was doing the same thing a while back. I replaced the donut collector gaskets between collector and mid pipe and used all new hardware to fasten it back down. Cleared right up.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My truck was doing the same thing a while back. I replaced the donut collector gaskets between collector and mid pipe and used all new hardware to fasten it back down. Cleared right up.
Thanks, that's something I would think it would be, I Reilly don't believe a ground strap from a tr6 would cause a bent valve. Not impossible, but not very likely either in my opinion

·
Registered
329 Posts
The bigger question is, did you beat the Z06? ;)
I am with the other guy... How many miles are on your build.. I just went through a non sealing valve issue... rough idle at start up, and while idling... No tach fluctuating and the truck ran well.. Ended up doing a complete valve job... I would not rule it out...

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bigger question is, did you beat the Z06? ;)
I am with the other guy... How many miles are on your build.. I just went through a non sealing valve issue... rough idle at start up, and while idling... No tach fluctuating and the truck ran well.. Ended up doing a complete valve job... I would not rule it out...
Lol yea I beat it by about 3 cars,, 60 roll to about 130 2 times. Haven't ruled it out.. Just doing a few other things before I test it down for something like thst. Exhaust nerds to be welded up anyway. Has clamps on it now. No idea on miles on build. Bought it with all mods and Irish owner (too slow) is being a douche and won't tell me anything about it for some reason. Long story.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts