Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ethanol content in fuel raised to 15%
I just heard on the news the maximums for ethanol in your gas has been raised. Be aware. I wonder how many tunes will be affected or how many engines will pop due to this underhandedness.
Eat corn, burn dead dinosaurs.

·
Innovator of the Bombassani exhaust
2,428 Posts

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
This chaps my ass so bad....

Need a retune

get worse milage

get water in my tank..

grrr...

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take my word for it....I dont bullshit.
I wonder who would need a retune.
Just the most radical?
If everybody needed a retune it would be a boon for tuner$.
Does the ethanol affect the octane rating?
My flip chip might come in handy for this, I can flip back to the 91 oct. tune.

·
Undisputed Re-Post Master
14,354 Posts
Damn it!
Already got a new tune when they went to 10% in our area...
Now this.

Yea theres a bunch of us who run it to the edge, so any change in percentage can screw us up. I was just about to get a new nitrous tune.(was even thinking this weekend at one point). Now I think I might just wait....
or have to start buying Torqo or some shit....
WTF.
If we had E85 around here, I would just switch to that in a heartbeat, but they dont offer it anywhere withing a 3 hour radius of me.

·
Dam it feels good to be a Gangsta
511 Posts
If you read the article it states for vehicles of 2007 and newer model years. So my guess would be that gas stations will need to carry both E10 and E15. From the article "The new E15 limit only applies to cars and light trucks built since 2007, the EPA said."

·
Undisputed Re-Post Master
14,354 Posts
Correct which I think means there making sure vehicles from 2007 or newer to run fine on it with there factory tunes.

But what this most likely means is those nice little stickers you see on the pumps saying may contain up to 10% ethanol, will soon read 15%.

Either that or some small gas stations are going to be in some serious trouble when they only have room for two pumps on there premises, and there required by law to offer E15...

·
CORNFED
2,579 Posts
We have both E20 and E85 around here. The E20 actually does performs really well. I believe it is around a 96 octane fuel.

MM Shaggy, we use to haul E85 about 3.5 hours from Either Dallas, TX or Wichita, KS after the only gas station in OKC went out of business about 4 years back. Luckily we have several more choices that have been built over the last 2 years. I have three stations within a mile of my house that offers E10, E20 and E85.

·
Back In A Big Boy Truck
5,395 Posts
Theres only one gas station that just happens to be down the street from my house that is still all pure fuel that i go out of my way to get fuel there. All the others are E10. For anybody that is pushing there trucks a retune would be on my to do list.

Just to give you an idea of what this means here the stoichimetric values of some of the fuels talked about in this thread! Each of these stoichimetric values are also represented as a lambda of 1.00

Unleaded 93 octane: 14.64
E5 93 octane: 14.35
E10 93 octane: 14.08
E15 93 octane: 13.79
VP C16: 14.77
e85: 9.76
e100: 9.00

Wayne

·
Registered
14 Posts
I really dont see what all the fuss is about?? E15 is going to raise the Knock Threshold or regular pump gas. so what if you get a little bit less gas mileage? you drive a 5.4 supercharged 4800+lb truck with a crappy coefficient of drag and huge frontal area! I for one think in a peak power of "pump gas" aspect this is awesome and am all for it. heck i would like it just fine if they only carried e85 at gas stations, i would get VP Import (20+ dollars a gallon) knock protection for 1.85 a gallon for e85 without killing O2 sensors like crazy.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dang man, yall know some stuff.
So ethanol is a knock inhibitor by raising the octane which slows flame propagation?
I guess the days of 101 Low Lead are gone. :smt089

·
Poor driver mod
1,414 Posts
yeah e5 has a higher octane then e0, and e15>e10>e5>e0 in octane rating, but e15<e10<e5<e0 in in btu per lbs of fuel, so you will need to re-tune for the new fuel to have the same power level, if you are running at/near the edge of safety for your motor, you will need a re-tune for it to still be safe, you might need more then a re-tune you might have to go to larger injectors or higher psi on your fuel rails.

Hope you dont have a old carburetor motor running around, it will need new jets to run right.

Dont like it E anything is bad in a performance car, lets ignore that E from corn is a bad way to do it(its an energy loss to make it).

·
Back In A Big Boy Truck
5,395 Posts
Look at my thread on page 1, the stoich(may be misspelled)is different and will require a retune. The octane boost is great and helps but the issue is it has a leaner stoich reading at 1 lambda and requires a different tune for different ratings.

Wayne

1 - 20 of 35 Posts