Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
2010 Sport Trac Adrenalin Saleen SC
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm having second thoughts about trading my Lightning for a Saleen supercharger conversion on my Sport Trac Adrenalin.

I'm wondering if I could just have the stock powertrain completely rebuilt with forged internals for max power output on the Eaton and for long term reliabilty.

It's not my primary driver so I'd be ok with just leaving it somewhere for a month.

Anyone a 100 miles from 12901 would be ok. Rebuild downtime could be a month. What should I expect to spend?

·
Registered
173 Posts
To have that quick of turnaround time, it would have to be an off the shelf piston and rod. A lot of machine shops can't turnaround a motor like that unless you drop the motor off to them disassembled. I currently have mine at a machine shop, and it took them over a month to start on it because everyone is busy this time of year.

·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really don't care how long it takes. I have no idea. It could be gone all winter for all I care lol. Is a couple months a better expectation?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I really don't care how long it takes. I have no idea. It could be gone all winter for all I care lol. Is a couple months a better expectation?
oh yea def, I would expect 2 months if you drop the motor off to them. I would say that's a typical wait time. If they aren't busy, they could do it in a month or so. I have a local machinist that does all Ford performance machine work, hopefully you have someone like that around that does quality work.

·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking of basically dropping the entire truck off and washing my hands of doing anything myself :0

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was thinking of basically dropping the entire truck off and washing my hands of doing anything myself :0
You would need a performance shop to do something like that, they would disassemble and pull the motor, then take it to a machine shop. I have one here locally that can do that, but I assume you are nowhere near Ky lol

·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's untra annoying because I just bought the truck in KY and drove it back to NY a month ago lol!

You're too far away man. I'm not doing that drive/distance again.

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
Where in upstate. That means alot of different things to alot of different people. Many people thing any north of NYC is upstate. When I think of upstate I think Syracuse to Plattsburgh, Watertown, Massena areas.

On that note I really don't know any performance engine builders I would personally trust up there. Most I know are used to NA engines and don't build or tune as much for boosted applications. JLP is down in PA though which isn't as far as Kentucky.

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,411 Posts
Give Paul Albino [mr12volt] a call. Paul owns total induction tuning solutions in CT and he's 30 minutes south of the Mass Pike/Springfield. Definitely knows Lightning's and modular motors, has a chassis Dyno and can tune with the best in the country. He's a supporting vendor here.

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
Good call I forgot he wasn't to far away either.

That would be my main reservation. Easy to get built motor shipped in and installed. There are a number of guys who can do it in the area. But I don't know of any with good face time tuning our trucks or really any boosted application. Getting it tuned up there is a whole other story.

I was just up in Potsdam and Star Lake a few weeks ago on vacation. Nothing like a couple weeks out on the lake to relax from over working.

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
I thought those guys built primarily for import motors. I am in no way saying they can't build a good mod motor. I have no real experience with them first hand. But last I remember they focused on imports more than mod motors. Hell I didn't even know they messed with em.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
You can give us a call for pricing..I'll be in Upstate Ny on August the 25-27th! @ Hammondsport Keuka Lake.For my wifes family reunion she's an NY Upstate gal!..:smt042.We would take it from there and drive it to the shop and save you the time and get it ready to roll...If not no problem!...:smt023JL

·
Administrator
18,748 Posts
I thought those guys built primarily for import motors. I am in no way saying they can't build a good mod motor. I have no real experience with them first hand. But last I remember they focused on imports more than mod motors. Hell I didn't even know they messed with em.
LOL!!! JDM Engineering is in Frehold NJ and does only Ford products. Their Mod motors have been in my Lightning for years. Runs pretty good...

JL's offer is a nice one. You would only have to arrange pickup of the truck when done. Alternatively you could buy a motor from JLP, JDM, MHP, WMS or any number of builders and have Paul at T.I.T.S. install and tune it. Much closer in Northern Connecticut.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
Wrong JDM man there is one in NY City also. Just goes by JDM or JDM Engines or something. Not JDM Engineering with Jim, company I am talking about is import people usually. Google will bring them up if you are wondering.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.