Lightning Rodder banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Member Senior
161 Posts
Your friend must be installing carpet at Ford because he obviously doesn't know engines.
To really know if the parts are "worn out" or not usable will require precision measuring tools and and NDI inspection, not a visual. And the sprockets will wear faster than the cam lobes due to the fact that the chains are exerting the force on them in a way that will generate wear patterns far faster than the lubricated roller on a rocker arm will on the cams. Run those cams and sprockets and you will be fine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #102 (Edited)
Well that was what my gut instinct told me, but again, I'm not overly familiar with these motors so I figured it was worth asking.

Edit: I don't know what he does at Ford. I know he's in the engineering department and that's it. Like I said, he was a friend of a friend.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I work at ford also and agree with using what u got the sprockets look good to me and yes the sprockets would wear faster than lobes. I would replace springs and followers tho.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
IT'S HAPPENING!!! Thanks to this country's 'quarantine' I was able to drop off the engine at the machine shop today! 3 weeks or less from today, I should have a new shortblock and fresh heads!

Which does bring us back to our current question; what to do about the cams. Sure, I could run the stock ones, and aftermarket ones, at least the ones I'm looking at, really won't give me much of a hp or torque increase, but... I'm this far into it.

The XE262-AH seems to be a popular one for street trucks and cars. It sounds decent from the few clips on youtube (which is what this is really about) and doesn't have a high rpm range. Would I really be wasting money if I bought these? I'm running a 34" tire with 4.56 gears, if any of that matters in your decision.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If ur after the sound install cams. But if ur after good lowend torque for towing then i would use the stock cams or get custom cams cuz any of the off the shelf cams are for street/strip cars and truck. They dont make a towing cam that i have seen for the 5.4 modular motors

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Damn, I was afraid that's what this would come down to: practicality vs fun.

Okay, I've got a few days before I really have to decide, so I'll think on it and let you guys know which way I decide to go.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Look what I've got!!!

That's also an 8# Metco quick change pulley in the background as well. It fits perfectly over my balancer, and it's slightly larger in diameter than the old one too. So I'm thinking the old one may belong to a Terminator Mustang and was mislabeled in the sale.

Anyways, now I'll be able to get the new connector spliced into my existing harness, and get Slevin's fuel pumps dropped into my tank!

·
Slevin
945 Posts
Quarantine ain't all bad :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
So, do you guys have any recommendations for lifter and follower replacements? A few of my lifters were spongy when I checked them after removal.

·
11 second street truck
10,335 Posts
So, do you guys have any recommendations for lifter and follower replacements? A few of my lifters were spongy when I checked them after removal.
It's possible the oil just drained but oem style replacements can be had pretty easy. I wouldn't sweat gt500 followers in your build.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts