Lightning Rodder banner

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Absolutely! Who doesn't love a good bottom end pic? >:)

Right now, I'm just saving up some cash to make sure this can all be completed. Current schedule has me attempting this swap sometime this summer!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Thanks! I'm having fun with it so far.

What do you mean fuel system set up? The only changes I had planned on making from the stock 98 F150 system were installing the fuel pumps that Slevin sold me for a song, and also moving my 98 fuel rails over to the supercharged engine. Apparently the fuel pressure regulators on the 97/98's are more desirable for these supercharged applications. By all accounts that I've read on here, that should be more than satisfactory for my power goals.

·
11 second street truck
10,335 Posts

What do you mean fuel system set up? The only changes I had planned on making from the stock 98 F150 system were installing the fuel pumps that Slevin sold me for a song, and also moving my 98 fuel rails over to the supercharged engine. Apparently the fuel pressure regulators on the 97/98's are more desirable for these supercharged applications. By all accounts that I've read on here, that should be more than satisfactory for my power goals.
The rails allow the addition of a good regulator. The oem one is not any better than thr lightnings.

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,483 Posts

Double check that the 98 rails have the removable FPR. It may be the case, and folks just always call them 97 rails rather than 97/98....or it may just be some early 98's that maybe have them, but you may be doing a swap for nothing if the 98 has the fixed FPR that can't be removed. That's the whole reason folks go to 97 rails. The factory FPR can be removed off the rail, and an aftermarket adjustable FPR can be installed on the factory rails. All the years after that the factory FPR is fixed and can't be removed and replaced with an adjustable unit.

·
Registered
23 Posts

It's fun diving into a new project. This is my first modular motor.

You answered my question about the rails. I kept running across all these posts about the addition of 98 style rails and a bigger return.

I've since found out its possibly a way to solve some tuning issues. Still digging around on that...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Yes, this is my first modular project as well. I've done several pushrods before, but nothing with an overhead cam. This will also be my first forced induction project, so I'm really heading into new territory! Fortunately, I'm not doing anything radical and this forum seems very knowledgeable, so I'm confident that most issues will easily be dealt with.

Here's a picture of the regulator on my 98. Looks removable to me.
picture hosting free

·
Slevin
945 Posts
Yes, this is my first modular project as well. I've done several pushrods before, but nothing with an overhead cam. This will also be my first forced induction project, so I'm really heading into new territory! Fortunately, I'm not doing anything radical and this forum seems very knowledgeable, so I'm confident that most issues will easily be dealt with.

Here's a picture of the regulator on my 98. Looks removable to me.
picture hosting free
Yep that's removable. Two bolt like many of the adjustable ones.

·
Jeffv333
2,215 Posts
Wow. That rust is gonna be a pain to fix! Post pictures of that when you can! I’m pulling my engine a 4th time lol I wanna clear the body of any rust and get it painted in a couple years.

Build is lookin good so far. I’m not sure how I missed this post.

·
Slevin
945 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Hey friends. Just thought I'd let you know what's been going on the last month and for my future records: Work has recently been crazy. I'm on track to log just over 90 hours this week alone. So that hasn't left a lot of time to haul this engine to the machine shop. Also, I had a hydraulic puller explode in my hand two weeks ago and broke my left index finger, so I'm not much good in the shop right now anyways.

Hopefully things have calmed down in a month from now and I'll be posting pictures of a nice clean engine ready to go in my truck. This is just how life goes sometimes.

·
Jeffv333
2,215 Posts
Hey friends. Just thought I'd let you know what's been going on the last month and for my future records: Work has recently been crazy. I'm on track to log just over 90 hours this week alone. So that hasn't left a lot of time to haul this engine to the machine shop. Also, I had a hydraulic puller explode in my hand two weeks ago and broke my left index finger, so I'm not much good in the shop right now anyways.

Hopefully things have calmed down in a month from now and I'll be posting pictures of a nice clean engine ready to go in my truck. This is just how life goes sometimes.
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing the engine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Wow, freaking life just keeps getting in the way. I'm sure some of you thought I had bailed on this, but no. I'm still going forward with it. Due to my stock fuel pump starting to go out, I actually had planned on dropping the tank tonight and putting in the stock Lighting fuel pumps that I bought from SleviN. I need this truck though for tomorrow so I'm just double checking, this is all a drop in and plug and play, correct?

I don't have to change connectors or a wiring harness to put the Lightning fuel pumps in a stock F150 fuel tank? Otherwise, I'm just going to to go O'Reilly's and get a stock replacement since I can't afford to be down right now doing mods.

·
11 second street truck
10,335 Posts
A stock f150 has 1 pump I thought?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
You are correct, but I have the entire hat/discharge/pump/float assembly from the HD I parted out. I just want to know if it'll drop in place and hook up to my stock F150's system without any modifications.

·
11 second street truck
10,335 Posts
I don't see how the ECU is going to control both pumps.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts