Lightning Rodder banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Did you add a spacer behind the tensioner sleeve? It seems this has been done for years in the 4v world. John from Accufab discovered this issue years ago, guys also just grind 4-5 teeth off of the end of the ratchet so that it can’t over extend. But still maintains enough pressure for startups. Especially important after 2step use and or high rpm rev limiter hits..

·
local painter
3,149 Posts
Did you add a spacer behind the tensioner sleeve? It seems this has been done for years in the 4v world. John from Accufab discovered this issue years ago, guys also just grind 4-5 teeth off of the end of the ratchet so that it can’t over extend. But still maintains enough pressure for startups. Especially important after 2step use and or high rpm rev limiter hits..
the important thing is that the pivot guide and tentioner plunger move minimum of .050. The aluminum heads expand and need at least that much clearance to avoid breaking a chain. Left side tends to be the issue.

Reactions: cb1 and Dusten

·
Registered
179 Posts
Subscribing via reply. Going built eventually and I am back and forth about doing it myself versus someone else building it for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am reading this like I am watching Maury Povich... you are not the father of this motor... but serious man I am sorry.. I am looking to do a mild build on my lightning and I am curious who to go with or not.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Finally was able to get off work and rip this pos out of the truck. So it's just a rod bearing in the #2 cylinder. the crank looks salvageable, but I'm gonna buy a new one! rod look perfect but it will be replaced. The bearing just failed nothing more nothing less. Everything looks perfect inside, no bluing or any signs of lack of oil. The pistons have no signs of detonation and cylinder walls are perfect.

JLP is the father of this short block!!! I do not recommend using him. his customer service sucks and doesn't stand behind his work. Multiple people have had the same problems that I have had if you look around. With that being said im not blaming this failure on him until I get an actual engine builder to check it out. There is no reason this engine should have failed with less than 5k on it in under a year.

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,440 Posts
JLP doesn't build them. he has some company like AER manufacturing build them to his specs..
Sad..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
JLP doesn't build them. he has some company like AER manufacturing build them to his specs..
Sad..
Yea I get that but he doesn't stand behind them! Huge problem when you do business on your name and don't stand behind the product! Lucky it was minimal damage and I dont have to replace everything.

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,303 Posts
Yea I get that but he doesn't stand behind them! Huge problem when you do business on your name and don't stand behind the product! Lucky it was minimal damage and I dont have to replace everything.
Very few builders will warranty a race engine. Even the best usually give 30 days to 12 months

Reactions: 02 H/D

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,303 Posts
I didn't expect a warranty! I expected him to work with me a little bit and not immediately say not my fault.
Again, this is pretty common amongst race engines
And him "working with you" is a form of warranty.

Reactions: stoffer

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Again, this is pretty common amongst race engines
And him "working with you" is a form of warranty.
I define "working with you" as a break on parts maybe a deal on labor! If the dude just said bring it up here let's see what happened I would have probably been ok with it. Not, no way is a spun bearing my fault! If you made a living on your name and products wouldn't you stand behind them a little bit? Feel free to buy shit from jlp thats your choice I personally won't be doing business with then anymore based solely on customer service.

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,303 Posts
I define "working with you" as a break on parts maybe a deal on labor! If the dude just said bring it up here let's see what happened I would have probably been ok with it. Not, no way is a spun bearing my fault! If you made a living on your name and products wouldn't you stand behind them a little bit? Feel free to buy shit from jlp thats your choice I personally won't be doing business with then anymore based solely on customer service.
I don't buy shit from. I've bought 1 product and it was a piece of shit.
He can't have you bring the engine there to look at. He didn't build it. If he does that, he's assuming liability.

A spun bearing can absolutely be your fault
Fuel in the oil
Over revved
Detonation

·
Registered
2002 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson Edition
351 Posts
I feel you. I emailed John expressing my concerns with the tune and revised tunes he was sending me. Not only did he send me another tune, he never replied to my email. Won't be going back to JLP ever again.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
JLP is known to be a piece of work ask me how I know. My JDM mill has be strong for many years. Good luck on the new build.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
JLP is known to be a piece of work ask me how I know. My JDM mill has be strong for many years. Good luck on the new build.
Problem I'm running into now is none of the reputable shops in my area want to touch this thing for the rebuild!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Problem I'm running into now is none of the reputable shops in my area want to touch this thing for the rebuild!
Im sure the reason being the same as u stated with jlp. If those shops take ur parts that have already been in a motor that failed(minus the new crank and/or rod) then they take the risk of getting the same backlash if it fails again. I can see why they wouldnt. They dont want to be the one to blame if it shits the bed a 2nd time. Sry for ur trouble. Hope u get it worked out and come back better than b4.👍 Good luck.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts