Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, my less than a year old built motor ate a rod or main bearing, haven't opened it up all the way yet to confirm which. I contacted the engine builder and he immediately said not my fault not my problem, paraphrasing obviously. I have zero signs of detonation or anything mechanicly wrong, wasn't even done tuning yet. Everything from charger to pan was very low miles or new. I by no means expect a freebie but I expect to not be told I would be full boated. I spend 4k on a short block from a well know builder who clearly doesn't stand behind his work or products and thinks a year and less than 5 thousand miles is a good lifespan! I will disclose builder information as soon as I get the engine to a reputable engine shop and checked out.

·
Registered
2002 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson Edition
351 Posts
That's terrible man.. I hope something like that doesn't happen to me. I'm currently tuning my built motor and getting her running and this is my biggest fear. Sorry to hear that bud.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's terrible man.. I hope something like that doesn't happen to me. I'm currently tuning my built motor and getting her running and this is my biggest fear. Sorry to hear that bud.
Yea I dont wish it on anyone. I don't mind the tearing it back out and what not. I'm hoping I didn't destroy to much and I get it back together without spend to much. the thing that really makes me mad is I just hid enough from the wife for a built trans and now it's gotta wait.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Sorry to hear man I feel your pain! Been there done that! Just keep your head up, go through it well and make it stronger!

What blower are you running? Pulley combo?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear man I feel your pain! Been there done that! Just keep your head up, go through it well and make it stronger!

What blower are you running? Pulley combo?
Running fully ported heads and custom blower cams whipple 2.3 with 6lb lower and 3 inch upper only seeing 16 lbs of boost on 93 and timing advance was only at 9.5. All my data logs were on point but I was working out a minor fuel pressure issue at wot. it was still safe, tuner justed didn't wanna turn it up anymore until resolved. The minor fuel issue was my pressure dropping 1 to 2 psi at peak boost.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curious to hear who built it...
I will definitely disclose that as soon as I confirm my suspicions! I'm not all about bashing a business until I can 100% know what the root cause was, I don't wanna jump the gun on them even though they don't stand behind there own product and multiple people have had similar issues with them. unfortunately I didn't find out till the engine was already paid for.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Running fully ported heads and custom blower cams whipple 2.3 with 6lb lower and 3 inch upper only seeing 16 lbs of boost on 93 and timing advance was only at 9.5. All my data logs were on point but I was working out a minor fuel pressure issue at wot. it was still safe, tuner justed didn't wanna turn it up anymore until resolved. The minor fuel issue was my pressure dropping 1 to 2 psi at peak boost.
Dang that's real safe and a nice setup. In for results once you open it up and disclose who you got the short block from.. hopefully it's minor repairs but the downtime is always the worst.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dang that's real safe and a nice setup. In for results once you open it up and disclose who you got the short block from.. hopefully it's minor repairs but the downtime is always the worst.
salts on the ground around
Good Luck , I'm fixing to purchase a built short block myself so I'm curious also.
private message me and I'll tell you go or no go.

·
local painter
3,152 Posts
Wonder if the timing chain broke... that seems to happen on new builds occasionally

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wonder if the timing chain broke... that seems to happen on new builds occasionally
Actually that was what I thought it was at first. that's why I pulled the timing cover and heads while it was in the truck before I even contacted the original builder. It's definitely bottom end!!!

·
local painter
3,152 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pull the ratchet out of the tensioner.
for real!? Aren't they there incase of a surge to stop the chain from going loose and jumping out of time? I'm not a engine builder so please excuse my lack of knowledge on that. I know enough to assemble stuff to spec and what problems look like but not the little tricks!

·
local painter
3,152 Posts
image.jpg

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,306 Posts
With tf heads the chains are tighter and the ratchets cause issues. Running tf tensioners is also a fix. You have pi heads, you're fine.

·
Registered
2002 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson Edition
351 Posts
Definitely want to know who built your block and who did or was doing your tune. Jlp built my block and was doing by tuning via email. First two tunes were disastrous and my truck was smoking like a train and I had to change the oil because it was reeked of fuel for my break in. Even my catch can had fuel and oil in it. Ended up going with Eric. This is my first ever built motor and I don't need to say how much I paid because every one here has an idea more or less.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts