Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a stock block 2.3 whipple truck with egr . Their was some Emissions systems turned off in the truck while tuning , plates expired went in for testing failed . Had my tuner send me a new file all emissions systems on but at this point I had to visit the health department. I was told my truck does not pass due to SCT 90mm maf ba 2600 as well as whipple being a off road unit . My question is as long as it has egr isn’t it emissions legal ? I also have not cross referenced part number on the supercharger .

·
Registered
887 Posts
I’ve personally never heard of an “off-road Whipple”. Where are you located? Are you saying that the monitor isn’t setting or is this all based on a visual inspection?
Sounds like an uptight inspection station to me... Your setup sound like a typical one and like mine. I’ve had my EGR be a bear to set the monitor sometimes, but always get it after a good drive cycle.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,227 Posts
If he lives in CA, it basically has to be stock visually to pass. I sent my old stock plenum and throttle body to a guy in CA so he could get his to pass. He had an MP or a Kenny Bell, but the name plate had been ground off. I guess it skated by, but he did get it to pass eventually.

Reactions: RDLGHTN

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IF he lives in CA, it basically has to be stock visually to pass. I sent my old stock plenum and throttle body to a guy in CA so he could get his to pass. He had an MP or a Kenny Bell, but the name plate had been ground off. I guess it skated by, but he did get it to pass eventually.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Utah I’ve had passed emissions before with the whipple . But being sent to the health department of course they nit pick everything . I’ve never heard anybody have issues passing emissions with a SCT maf . As far as the supercharger isn’t the egr the only emissions regulation item on it .

·
GoD GiVeN
1,916 Posts
I have a buddy here in Cali that couldn't pass the ref here because of having a Whipple supercharger. He found out that whipple does sell a supercharger with "tune" to make it smog legal, the others are sold as off road for legal reasons, if you did not purchase that "tune kit" from whipple, than more than likely you are going to have to reach out to whipple and see what they can do on their end for you. They told my buddy to send in his PCM and they would flash it for him, but of coarse, they only flash it to have a stock motor with a whipple bolted on top. So this didn't work for him since he had 60lb injectors and other bolt on parts that whipple said wouldn't work with their "smog tune", so.. after it was all said and done, my buddy figured it wasn't worth the hassle, sold the whipple and went to a stock ported eaton, i know its not as fun as whipple, but sometimes smog checks just takes all the fun out from modding our trucks. Good Luck brother!

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,227 Posts
Glad I live in Oklahoma, no smog or safety checks here. Bought my 07 Mustang in November last year, they didn't even come outside to see if all the lights work, and stuff. Just issued me my one rear license plate and called it done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kalifornia SUCKS!! I've lived here for about 47+ years and have built countless hot rods over that time, some drinking E-85 that even without a cat, run cleaner than most new cars with a slightly dirty air filter and they push over 400 hp to the rear wheels... all while getting 14-16 reliable mpg with my foot in it. Even in the most outrageous form of mods, no matter how clean it runs, the referee stations do not like us changing things from stock and scoff at our ingenuity and creativity. Essentially, they're paid by the automotive industry (BAR and CARB) to keep our cars stock unless someone wants to go pay a ton of $$$ for a CARB EO #... FOR A FRIGGIN' $200 THROTTLE BODY SPACER!!! ugh... Building a '70 Nova at the moment... NO SMOG! and it'll be a blown mighty mouse on E-85 so they can blow me! I'll run a high-flow cat anyhow just so I don't breathe in any CO in the cabin and I can do my part keeping emissions to a minimum. My 2002 Lightning is pretty much stock (looking) on the outside and under the hood so... it still passes visual and the OBD II tests... PORT PORT PORT... Good luck with your quest in Utah... Sorry about my lengthy diatribe/rant... Just sick of the bureaucracy here in Kalifornia on many levels... This struck a nerve.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is why I made damn sure to put the emissions sticker that came with the Whipple on my Raptor under the hood. Likely, this bureaucrat wanted to see that sticker.

Whipple does have a racer kit, but I'm pretty sure it deletes the EGR (I used to have this one). Their regular kits don't say anything about emissions and were offered through Ford Racing, so they should be 50 state legal. I'd contact Whipple to see if they have documentation of their kit. You might have to use a canned Whipple tune and revert some parts to what that tune wants. Otherwise, you can try buying the emissions sticker somewhere or someone on here might have one laying around. Bureaucrats like seeing meaningless pieces of paper.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts