Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone:

Even though I don't own a Lightning, I do own a 2003 Fx4 and I though I would get better answers for my question here than on other forums. Have anyone had any experience with Flex-A-Lite 270 Dual Electric Fans or TSP HC7106 Pro Series Dual 11" Fans? The Flex-A-Lite is almost 4 times more expensive ($493 vs $145) but it's CFM rating is 5,500 compared to the TSP at 2,780. Also, the TSP draws 25 AMPs from the system while the Flex-A-Lite draws 28 AMPs. Will the extra AMPs matter? Will I need the extra CFM rating that the Flex-A-Lite provides? How are both in terms of quality? Both have a one year warranty. My final question is, are there any better options?

Thanks!

·
10 second street truck
12,717 Posts
Any reason for efans?
Clean up the engine bay?

A tried and true method around here is ford raptor efans and a wiring kit from hd circuitry.

But I'd only suggest either if you're trying to pretty things up. These trucks have some of the most robust cooling systems I've seen.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any reason for efans? Clean up the engine bay? A tried and true method around here is ford raptor efans and a wiring kit from hd circuitry. But I'd only suggest either if you're trying to pretty things up. These trucks have some of the most robust cooling systems I've seen.
Well the reason is is that I want to add a Lightning Supercharger and if I can free some horses and clean up the engine bay than it is a win win. I will check out Raptor fans.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
11,545 Posts
I tried putting an efan on mine several years ago. It was a kit with a two speed fan out of a Mustang, same one that's in my current stang. The controller came from a place that used to be well known here, Mad Enterprises. Not anymore since the owner died. Anyhow, got them in and wired up, the instructions were easy to follow and it was plug-and-play. First time they came on, the fans came on when they were supposed to, the plug-in volt gauge I had in the socket showed a huge voltage drop, then the fans and controller started smoking real heavy. Thought it was going to catch fire. Got it shut off and yanked all the wires ASAP. Took it out, put the stock clutch fan back on. NEVER AGAIN!!

YMMV.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried putting an efan on mine several years ago. It was a kit with a two speed fan out of a Mustang, same one that's in my current stang. The controller came from a place that used to be well known here, Mad Enterprises. Not anymore since the owner died. Anyhow, got them in and wired up, the instructions were easy to follow and it was plug-and-play. First time they came on, the fans came on when they were supposed to, the plug-in volt gauge I had in the socket showed a huge voltage drop, then the fans and controller started smoking real heavy. Thought it was going to catch fire. Got it shut off and yanked all the wires ASAP. Took it out, put the stock clutch fan back on. NEVER AGAIN!!

YMMV.
Well here's my thing. If it doesn't work, I'll just put back my stock fans. No harm no foul.

·
11,545 Posts
It'll work. Especially if you run Josh's kit.

A lot of the aftermarket "kits" run a relay that can not handle the load of the fans.
Maybe that is what happened to mine. I thought the Mad Enterprises kit was supposed to be good. I just tossed it all in the trash can. In the end, I prefer the clutch fan turning full time, not just a few minutes here and there. I don't know about the aftermarket kits, but the ones on my two bikes and the one in the stang, the fan comes on at 210 degrees and shuts off at 195. That's a little hot for my liking. Yes, I know. When you're moving, it doesn't matter.

Reactions: 2020FordRaptor

·
regular joe
2002 True Blue
2,008 Posts
Im running the wiring/controller that came with my flexalites....no issues in GA heat. No upgraded alternator.

Is there a huge draw? Yes. Does the stock equivalent battery and 22 year old alternator power the fans sufficiently? Yup. Will everything last 50k miles...no idea.

·
10 second street truck
12,717 Posts
Maybe that is what happened to mine. I thought the Mad Enterprises kit was supposed to be good. I just tossed it all in the trash can. In the end, I prefer the clutch fan turning full time, not just a few minutes here and there. I don't know about the aftermarket kits, but the ones on my two bikes and the one in the stang, the fan comes on at 210 degrees and shuts off at 195. That's a little hot for my liking. Yes, I know. When you're moving, it doesn't matter.

210 is an optimal temperature for an engine to run. You need that heat in the cylinder to create adequate combustion. Numerous tests have been run on various tstats to prove this.
The stock lightning t-stat is 193.

A lot of kits alow you to dial in temps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
210 is an optimal temperature for an engine to run. You need that heat in the cylinder to create adequate combustion. Numerous tests have been run on various tstats to prove this.
The stock lightning t-stat is 193.

A lot of kits alow you to dial in temps.
Yep. Agreed. That is why I almost cry everything I see someone rev a cold engine. 🥶

·
11,545 Posts
Yep. Agreed. That is why I almost cry everything I see someone rev a cold engine. 🥶
Me as well. I warm my vehicle up for a few minutes before driving. I wait til the idle drops down to it's normal place. And I don't stomp the loud pedal until normal operating temp is reached.

Just as a bit of information. Ford says the 4.0 V-6 Ranger makes 240 hp, it has a clutch fan. Ford says the 4.0 V-6 Mustang makes 240 hp, it has an electric fan. I never fell for that thing about making more power with a sparky fan.

Reactions: 2020FordRaptor

·
10 second street truck
12,717 Posts
Me as well. I warm my vehicle up for a few minutes before driving. I wait til the idle drops down to it's normal place. And I don't stomp the loud pedal until normal operating temp is reached.

Just as a bit of information. Ford says the 4.0 V-6 Ranger makes 240 hp, it has a clutch fan. Ford says the 4.0 V-6 Mustang makes 240 hp, it has an electric fan. I never fell for that thing about making more power with a sparky fan.

The engines are rated before accessories are installed.

It's science that a fan is a parasitic draw and will eat power. But it's not very many.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts