Lightning Rodder banner

Electrical, fans and pumps

3K views 49 replies 5 participants last post by  fordmon 
#1 ·
I think I'm going to try a package all of this in a waterproof enclosure box, Most of what I'm seeing is industrial opposed to automotive style
Audio equipment Electrical wiring Cable Gas Auto part

e.

See less See more
#39 ·
Are you still routing the trans fluid through the radiator?

I wouldn't sweat the heat from the trans cooler in the radiator if you are. You're already forcing the radiator to attempt to cool the trans fluid. And the cooling system on the lightning has zero issues cooling the truck. Some of us even go to a single core v6 radiator without issue(me, jim, josh v)

#42 ·
I would bypass the radiator and do something like the more common f250 trans cooler. Cruising for hours in the Louisiana summer, my trans temp did not hit 170F with an f250 cooler. I have a 2400ish stall converter as well.

As for the heat exchanger fans, most fans I've seen are not made to be ran all the time. I have mine on a switch to cut them off. Which reminds me, I should probably put them on a relay. They may hurt air flow when above a certain vehicle speed since the back shroud and fans may block air flow.

#43 ·
yes I am running the factory lines to the new radiator and new cooler.
I just pulled the factory brass fittings out of the factory radiator, I'm going to tap the aluminum barbs (-10 o ring AN barb) It appears that the brass flare fitting is a 5/8-20, so I had to order tap.
The factory lines fit perfect, why change them?

#47 ·
Trans cooler? No. The cooler on there is off a super duty and for diesel towing. I have never seen above 170* on my trans. There is zero need for a fan.
You can see my single core radiator too.

That trucks sat in the staging lanes, idling for 30+ minutes in 105* heat in the desert and didn't get above 202. It sits at 180* on the freeway.

Stock fan. Stock water pump. Smaller radiator. I even still have my oil cooler.

I don't have fans on my heat exchanger either. I also have a stock heat exchanger.

I've added parts as I've noticed a need a based on data. The heat exchanger removes heat after repeated pulls. Nothing more. Fans and multiple heat exchangers are for vehicles that intend to build a lot of heat over extended periods of time. Like road race cars.

My iat1 is always within 5-10* of ambient. My iat2 when cruising tends to be 30* above and drops to hear ambient when going wot and climbs thought the pass. But with my boost and pulley combo my truck has rarely build enough heat to even pull timing. So for me, the gains of a complex ic/heat exchanger are not worth the effort.

I run a big reservoir. A big pump. 3/4" lines. A stock exchanger and stock ic core.

#50 ·
this is the final mod for the trans cooler/aftermarket radiator, like it or not!
I turned down the steel factory flare fittings to .625 threaded it 5/8-18, cut the barbs off the aftermarket -10 O ring fittings and taped 5/8-18, used black RTV and tighten together, reinstalled. plenty of room for the factory steel lines to re connect and mount.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.