Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since there was some interest in the Gen 2 section, I'm offering up some adapter kits for sale. These will fit a stock Lightning shroud (21" diameter) and a Mark VIII fan surroud with a diameter of 18.5".

What you'll get is a set of 6 adapter parts in black 3/8" thick ABS plastic. The price is $60 Shipped. Feel free to ask any questions if I've left out some details.

PM me for Paypal info.

Installation info:
http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82085

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only have the one set in the pictures right now, but I can make as many sets as people ask for. I can generally get them in a few days or less.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are screws that go in around the diameter of the shroud and fan. If you look closely at the pictures of it assembled you can see them.

I'll be creating some installation instructions in the next couple days. I can send those to you if you want more detail.

How are all the pieces attached?

·
Senior Citizen, "Olde Farte" to you
719 Posts
Isn't the shroud ABS as well? If so, why not use ABS sludge to cement the adapter plates to the shroud itself?

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Isn't the shroud ABS as well? If so, why not use ABS sludge to cement the adapter plates to the shroud itself?

I'm generally not a fan of glueing stuff together if I can use bolts or screws. That certainly could work. The screws just seemed to me like the easiest way to hold it together.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since I dont wanna clutter up your how to then ill ask here. When will you have more of these kits available?

Thanks. The how-to is more just for directions and installation questions, so this is the right place to ask about buying.

The short answer is that the parts are always available. So far, I've been producing them as I collect money for them. The parts are produced on a small CNC mill that we have at work, so I'm the person that designed, programmed, and "cut" the parts. I plan on eventually having a few sets of buffer, but with the holidays and having recently started offering them, that's not been an option yet. I've gotten every set sent out within a week of order.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have some less than good news for anyone that's been considering these, but not asked me about them yet. Having shipped 5 sets of these now, it's become apparent that I'm not charging enough for the adapter kits.

There have been 3 surprises to me in the process of offering these parts. First, I've not been able to get the deal on plastic that I thought I'd ultimately be able to get. Just to give full disclosure, it costs me $20 plus shipping for the raw material. The plastic has to be a certain grade for the temperature and flatness.

The second surprise has been that I have to put a little more time into these than anticipated. That wasn't even an initial concern for me. I'm happy to donate my time to you guys for the parts. Selling parts on LR isn't how I make my living, and I'm happy to share my talents. This was all true until I became obsessed with making all of the parts look as good as possible before shipping. If I make one set a month, I'm fine with donating my time. Making a few sets a week though is going to get out of hand fast. I like you guys, but not that much.

The third surprise was shipping. I figured about $10 for shipping. It's actually ended up being an average of $15 for each set.

Everyone that asked me about the parts before I announced the price change got their parts for $40 shipped. svtlightning01330, since you asked just before I made the price change, I'll still honor the original price for you.

Hope you guys understand, and thanks for all the interest in my parts. It's fun to get to use my skill for something more fun than the daily grind. I hope to continue to offer a few other lower volume special parts in the future (already got a couple prototypes I'm testing on the truck). With this experience, I don't expect to need to have any surprise price increases in the future.

·
She's all mine now! woohoo!
254 Posts
Are pigs flying or has hell frozen over? I never get that lucky. Thank you for honoring the original price and I will get it out to you asap. My anniversary is on the 10th so there went my play money lol. Quality looking product and a must have for my install. Thanks dude :bigtu

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
It's fun to get to use my skill for something more fun than the daily grind. I hope to continue to offer a few other lower volume special parts in the future (already got a couple prototypes I'm testing on the truck). With this experience, I don't expect to need to have any surprise price increases in the future.
What other kind of fun stuff do you have in store for us?

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Thanks. The how-to is more just for directions and installation questions, so this is the right place to ask about buying.
:bigtu

What other kind of fun stuff do you have in store for us?
+1...really good idea you have here! What all kind of plastics do you deal with? Are you interested in making some engine bay cover panels for the fenders? :bigtu pm if more appropriate.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The picture below shows both of the prototypes. I'm a little bit concerned about offering the EGR block plates with SVT on them for legal reasons. I'm considering offering them with custom logos. The plenum spacer is pretty straight forward.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What all kind of plastics do you deal with?
I'm not a plastics expert. I just have a small CNC machine at work that does well with cutting lots of different plastics. The machine is to support our internal development work, so it sits idle half the time. I'm a mechanical engineer, and do product development work for other industries.

We've made parts out of lots of plastics. ABS, polycarbonate, nylon, delrin, multiple PVC's, UHMW, and other commodity level plastics.

·
Registered
923 Posts
How are theses fans holding up to the summer heat? Anyone having over heating problems? I live in savannah ga and a/c is a must along with a good cooling system. Any one vouch for the fan its self? The kits looks good and one like to get one. I have a large 2 speed fan off a mark8 or taruas in the garage.thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts