Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an electric fan off a member with directions but my dumbass lost the directions. I have a temp probe which I know where that goes and a black wire I grounded to the frame. There's two different boxes (relay's?) that are wire to the shroud. There is also a toggle switch mounted to the shroud. NOW.....there are three wires taped together...a 8 gauge red wire, 14 gauge blue wire, and another 14 gauge black wire. If I run the 8 gauge wire straight to the battery and flip the toggle on the shroud the fan runs until I flip the toggle off. What am I missing for this set up to run by temp probe and automatically come on and off? Please any help would be appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I would mount that temp probe cause I was told it works as another ground as well ...also I kept on burning my relays without that probe hooked in

·
Registered
369 Posts
Where does the temp probe mount? In the block? I was fighting with fan issues earlier this year. Had a MADfan kit for years, but it finally died. Kept burning fuses. Replaced with higher amp relays, but still had issues.
Had Ford dealer make a new E-fan kit similar to the MAD kit, but same problem. Ended up finding an old LFP kit I bought a long time ago that was brand new. Installed that and it works like a dream! Sadly, they apparently no longer make this kit. The temp sensor mounts towards the rear of the drivers side of the block, and also has a toggle switch for manual operation. I am very happy with this kit and toying with the idea of trying to source parts and building these myself.
All in all though, my recommendation would be to stick with the clutch fan. They REALLY don't suck that much power, are dead reliable, and do a great job cooling the engine. Much cheaper to replace, too!
Anyhow, that's my 2 cents. Any questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to contact and I'll do my best to reply promptly.

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
12,044 Posts
The temp sensor...
It's on the drivers side, towards the back, just in front of the torque convertor bolt access cover.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts