Lightning Rodder banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Haha, I like hearing these old stories.
Reminds me of when i turbocharged my fox body years ago, using the stock ecm tune, with locked timing and making fuel pressure adjustments, along with a C&L MAF, everyone said i was going to blow it up, didnt have much choice but to try, it got the job done and ran pretty good

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,708 Posts
Would the stock fuel system support e85, with a 4lb pulley and full exhaust being the only mods?

I'm talking stock pumps and injectors, Maf

I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile compared to doing the traditional 6lb or more pullies, and bolt-on's on 93, and dealing the iat2 heat vs 4lb with e85 for cooling effects and bump timing near 20° for the power.
for E-85 you’ll want:

talk to your tuner
twin 255’s (minimum)
‘97 fuel rails with adjustable regulator
return line bandaid
60# injectors

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
What's the need for an adjustable regulator on a lightning? What's wrong with stock setup at 39psi?

·
Registered
863 Posts
for E-85 you’ll want:

talk to your tuner
twin 255’s (minimum)
‘97 fuel rails with adjustable regulator
return line bandaid
60# injectors
Honestly all you probably need for a stock blower truck is bigger injectors. the stock pumps may be adequate. Though I would upgrade them just as precaution.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,708 Posts
What's the need for an adjustable regulator on a lightning? What's wrong with stock setup at 39psi?
when you upgrade the fuel pumps

it keeps you from over running your stock regulator

hence the name fuel system bandaid

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,708 Posts
Honestly all you probably need for a stock blower truck is bigger injectors. the stock pumps may be adequate. Though I would upgrade them just as precaution.

two fuel pumps are cheaper and easier than a longblock

·
Registered
863 Posts
two fuel pumps are cheaper and easier than a longblock
Well yeah. However you would know real quick if you didn't have enough pump. Pretty easy to pull timing when dialing in fueling.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Also, by my calculations two stock 190lph pumps should support most any basic pulley style truck on e85. That's assuming you even get 85% ethanol at pump. The lower the percentage the higher the headroom.

·
10 second street truck
12,209 Posts
Also, by my calculations two stock 190lph pumps should support most any basic pulley style truck on e85. That's assuming you even get 85% ethanol at pump. The lower the percentage the higher the headroom.

I've never seen less that 80 at my local pump. Usually closer to 88.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I've never seen less that 80 at my local pump. Usually closer to 88.
Alot of places only get in the 70's. I'm lucky enough to get 83% out the main pump I use.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I doubt it. The 42's are all in at 450 on 92.
The maf is all in at 400ish.
I'm really loving the flex fuel tuning ability on my new Coyote truck, and seeing how easy it is to tune with speed density IDK why the OEM's even use MAF on most of their vehicles. For example why does Mustang GT use MAF, but a 5L F150 us speed density? IDK speed density just seems less finicky, with little to no maintenance involved. IDK I've not heard of people having MAP sensor issues with the F150's setup, or filter oil causing it problems, etc like can be the case with MAF.

OP I wouldn't try to over push your L if you want the factory engine to last. The issue with older Modulars is they are just week compared to the newer Ecoboost and Coyotes. Don't get me wrong a Modular can be built strong as a mofo, but from the factory unless you got a Terminator/GT500/FGT/ maybe a 00 Cobra R you got an engine with over-budgeted rods and pistons that don't handle much power or boost compared to modded Ford engines. The fuel systems are also way less capable of suppoting large power. Some of these people are tuning their Ecoboost engines to push 22+ PSI's. So you have a GEN2 or GEN3 (whatever we're at) 3.5L DOHC V6 the a 10.5:1 CR, with both DI and PI running a ton of boost on likely a flex fuel tune, yeah you're going to see some very good initial gain from things like a tune, and cat delete, etc. A stock L bottomend won't hold the power a well modded Ecoboost is capable of making, and I hate EB and think it's gay, and am not a fan of using boosted V6's as V8 replacements, but the fact of the matter is, is there's good power potential there.

·
Registered
8,404 Posts

Yes the stock pumps can flow enough fuel to support that combination, but keep in mind those stock pumps are 20+ years old, that is why I always suggest replacing them and you might as well make them bigger because most likely your going to want to make more power down the road anyway.

JJ

21 - 32 of 32 Posts