Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my stock block dyno with a KB @ 16psi, street tune and stock exhaust.

Here is the new ported heads, Stage II cams, built motor at the same 16 psi street tune, same timing, and stock exhaust.

The first was on a Dynojet in third gear with converter locked. The second dyno was on a Dyno Dynamics dyno in SECOND gear and no locked converter. When I saw the torque numbers I knew they were not right, a Lightning always makes more torque than power, plus every dyno pull I've done in my truck has the torque peaking near the beginning of the run and then slowly tapering off. Both these lines look like HP lines, with a big dip where the converter was locking midway through the pull.

I say he's wrong and the torque numbers are incorrect; he claims he's correct. What do you think?

By the way, I'm re-dynoing tomorrow afternoon on the same Dynojet I ran the first dyno sheet posted on; do you think my numbers will change, and care to make a guess as to where I end up? I will do a 16 psi street pull (15 degrees) and a 20 psi race pull with 20 degrees of timing.

Jody

·
Registered
734 Posts
Man Jody, the first numbers seem way off for your set up! The second set sure make me feel better! I see un locking and locking the torque converter makes a big diffrence.

Please keep us up to speed?

E-mail JJ or Sal and aske them for their advice.

Suavy

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suavy, the first numbers were before the built motor. The second I just did last week with the new motor, but the torque curve looks completely wrong for any Lightning dyno I've done or seen.

I also know the exhaust is holding me back but until someone comes up with a quiet LT setup I'm stuck with stock.

Jody

·
Registered
270 Posts
WOW THOSE NUMBERS ARE REALLY WIERD. I DONT KNOW IF THE FIRST SET OR SECOND SET IS OFF MORE. ALL I KNOW IS THE TORQUE FOR THE SECOND DYNO IS WAY OFF BECAUSE I AM MAKING 530 LBS FT WITH JUST 425 HP.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first set is fine, it was 457 rwhp and 549 rwtq with the stock engine and KB at 16 psi. It's the second set that's weird. I'm hitting a Dynojet tomorrow so I'll know pretty soon!

Jody

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Sup Jody

The 1st #'s are perfect for a stock Block KB Combo on a Street Tune :smt023

As for the second #'s, they are off. You never see a S/C L with equal HP/TQ #'s
For that matter I never hear of anyone doing 2nd gear Dyno's ???

3rd gear, convertor locked, OD off, keeping a steady RPM, and then @ 62 MPH, WAM !!!
Insist on the next being doing that way, thats the way EVERYONE does it, and thats the only way you can compare the results

GO GET UM PAL :smt023

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Rob. I get to drive the truck on todays dyno so I can control how it's done. But this other guy insisted he does it the other way, and it is not right at all. Never seen a torque curve look like the HP curve with these trucks. I'll post up the results, good or bad.

Jody

·
Registered
427 Posts
Jody my dyno with the KB @ 16 psi street tune was 455/551 thats also with stock cat forward exhaust.
So the first numbers look good to me also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts