Lightning Rodder banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Administrator
18,470 Posts
Nice thread. I wish I had detailed my progress from stock thru now better. Dates and order of mods vs performance have slipped away after 17 years of ownership.

As for 6 speed? Slower, sure. But it may feel much faster! Should be a fun project.

Jim

·
11.42 @119.87 Stock Block
2,927 Posts
Dusten great thread and great 1/8th run that should have you in the 10.60 i bet. Very beautiful truck

Reactions: Dusten

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So in preparation for some future mods I pulled my gauges.
This lends to the need for a new a pillar as mines cut due to the gauges.
I found 1 in the right color but no handle and the wrong color with a handle.
I bought both. I painted the wrong colored one. It's in the truck for now. The color is slightly off. If I am bothered by it I'll mount the non handled one.

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
A little count
Blowers - 5
Fuel systems - 3
Wheels - 3
Headers - 3
Exhaust - 4
Long bars -2

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So i decided to get rid of the gauges and replace them with an edge CTS3 insight.
Its an obd2 monitor like the aeroforce, but much more modern looking.
I can't recommend this route, for selfish reasons.

The edge is very pretty. It's pretty easy to use. It has expandable inputs. I am running a 3.5 bar map sensor for boost and running a 0-100psi sensor to monitor fuel pressure. It will mount on the dash where the a-pillar sits.

My issue is that the device is pretty limited in what it will monitor. The aeroforce or my sct device have more capability.
I want to monitor IAT2 and I've lost that.

I think with the edge I plan to monitor boost, fuel pressure, iat1, trans temp, coolant temp and voltage.
My wideband is in the center console still.

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

Reactions: B4Thunder03

·
Fresh to Death
70 Posts
It will mount on the dash where the a-pillar sits
I was quite excited with what you were keeping a secret until this. I was hoping for something more integrated. I guess a tablet type head unit with a app like torque pro is the most common route for integrated.

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
I had been debating on integrating it into my center console but edge makes a mount. I like it so I'm going to just use it.
And a stereo with the torque app is useless to me as I use my stereo a lot.
I was keeping this secret because I wasn't sure it would work at all. And as it stands it doesn't work how I wanted.
As much as I didn't like the aeroforce at least it did what I wanted.

·
Administrator
18,470 Posts
I hava a device called Dashdaq that I can monitor a lot of OBD2 functions. It has a suction cup mount that I will put on dash at far left of windshield. It has playback features as well. I don't use it much, but it gives me data that I need at times. When I don't use it, the cable hides pretty well out of sight.

Jim

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I hava a device called Dashdaq that I can monitor a lot of OBD2 functions. It has a suction cup mount that I will put on dash at far left of windshield. It has playback features as well. I don't use it much, but it gives me data that I need at times. When I don't use it, the cable hides pretty well out of sight.

Jim
I used to have a dashdaq when I had a power stroke. Kind of why I went with the cts3.
This comes with a suction mount but I'm not using that.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had been debating on integrating it into my center console but edge makes a mount. I like it so I'm going to just use it.
And a stereo with the torque app is useless to me as I use my stereo a lot.
I was keeping this secret because I wasn't sure it would work at all. And as it stands it doesn't work how I wanted.
As much as I didn't like the aeroforce at least it did what I wanted.
I had torque pro running on an old android phone mounted on my pillar for several years. It took some work to get it turning on and off with the truck. Also the mounting was kinda janky (when scrutinized through the window) so I understand the allure of having a prefab mounting solution that "just works".

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I had torque pro running on an old android phone mounted on my pillar for several years. It took some work to get it turning on and off with the truck. Also the mounting was kinda janky (when scrutinized through the window) so I understand the allure of having a prefab mounting solution that "just works".

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I've used torque pro quite a bit and I just don't love it. I do like that you can create parameters if you know the hexadecimal address. I created tpms monitors for my focus.

Reactions: blacklaser94

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Pulled the main harness to repair a few connectors and decided to techflex it.
Taught my daughter to solder in the process.

I also painted the mount for my cts3 and verified that my map sensor is wired correctly.
I need to route the wires for the fuel pressure sensor and put the interior back together

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Installed the wiring for my fp sender.
Installed the cts3
Programmed the external sensors
Picked a gauge layout
I'm happy with it

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Hard pass.

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
It's tedious and made my hands hurt. It's not hard. Just real boring.

Thanks. So far I'm happy with it other than the lack iat2. I may figure out how to splice into it.

New layout

41 - 60 of 61 Posts