Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I dropped the L couple weeks ago (used BellTech Springs, Shackles, Hangers 2/4), when I go over 50 you can feel a slight vibration. It feels like the tires need to be rebalanced and its annoying, it has to be due to the drop. The truck has 40k miles and when it was at stock height it felt and drove like new.

I was talking to another L owner and he said I need to adjust the driveshaft or the pinion angle? This is my first F150 and I just want to have an idea of what Im supposed to be looking for or asking a mechanic to do - thanks!

Pics of before and after:

·
Slowest Silver Lightning
2,547 Posts
Looks great.

You def want to check your pinion angle- read about it here

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71752

Always want check your pinion angle before/after on any vehicle that has been lowered that has a shaft going to the rear. It is worse for Lightnings because they are so high from the factory.

Also- please make sure that you have a driveshaft loop- it is a must for any vehicle that has an exposed driveshaft.

·
I like your avatar!
667 Posts
Badass Terminator and your truck looks WAY better! Your problem is definitely pinion angle.

·
Dude
2,363 Posts
Agreed for the pinion angle adjustment. Need to get some shims to correct that. When I got mine done it came with the shims. Mine is a Belltech drop as well. You can buy the shims and put them on or take your truck to a driveline shop and have them balance the driveshaft(recomended) and set the proper pinion angle while its there. Truck does look awesome. Especially next to the mustang:smt023

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet, thanks fellas - thats great info!

When my buddy installed the kit, the shim that was supplied with the kit was also installed. I got the kit used from another member on here, he had it on a 2000 L, mine is a 04.

Is there a specific shim I need for my 04 - what should I be looking for what degree (if that makes sense)? 03-04's were taller in the rear, correct?

And thanks for the compliments, sadly the Terminator was sold about a week and 1/2 ago. I picked up an PP Premium S550 to replace her tho :)

·
Dude
2,363 Posts
NICE matching white beauties!! You are a lucky man. I think someone mentioned a 2* for street. That sounds about right. But to really know you should check it with a protractor and string. Or if you have a smart phone you can use this app,... Its called Tremec, like the transmission. You then can use your phone to figure it out.:smt023

1 - 8 of 8 Posts