10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,602 Posts
Look into forscan. It's free and very very useful

Reactions: 85F150

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
basic scanners wont tell you if truck has checked off monitors yet. you need to make sure you have one that shows them, not just the codes.
if youre in cali, even if you get monitors set, they will fail you for next step if there is a tune in it unless you have a carb eo number for that scan code. (none for Lightnings afaik)
we need to know what monitors are left open to help. usually evap and egr are the last to go and hardest.

·
regular joe
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The new bluetooth dongle us showing the EGR and the Catalyst tests are the ones not showing ready. That would be #7 and #8 of the Ford Drive Cycle tests.

I guess im going to let the truck warm up and go do some 0-45 blasts at 1/2 throttle and see if i can get that sensor to reset.

·
regular joe
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Nope. Took 20 min to get the truck above 170. 0-45 8 times at 1/2-3/4 throttle. EGR still didnt reset.

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,602 Posts
Is it off in the tune?

·
regular joe
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Doubtful. No reason for it to be. Its still on the truck. Im going for one more long ride tomorrow and if it doesnt reset, im loading a new tune from Woodbine and starting all over.

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,602 Posts
Doubtful. No reason for it to be. Its still on the truck. Im going for one more long ride tomorrow and if it doesnt reset, im loading a new tune from Woodbine and starting all over.
Some tuners default to turning off monitors. That's why I asked. Talk to jj.

I had issues once where a tuner forgot to turn off my rear o2's in a revision. They were off on 1 revision and on in the next.

Reactions: AllCarFan

·
regular joe
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Can't win. Battery died. Tried to replace battery without disconnecting from truck. Almost had it, but jumper cable came off as i was tightening down.

Oh well. JJ tune in there. Idle datalogged. Waiting for revised tune so i can go drive in this shitty rainy weather on horrible shocks. Traction is my friend, but right now, we have had a falling out.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The new bluetooth dongle us showing the EGR and the Catalyst tests are the ones not showing ready. That would be #7 and #8 of the Ford Drive Cycle tests.

I guess im going to let the truck warm up and go do some 0-45 blasts at 1/2 throttle and see if i can get that sensor to reset.
What’s also worked for me on an EGR monitor is a long exit off the freeway (65 mph+) or a long empty road and let it coast down to about 25mph.
If you have an exhaust system (headers and high flow cats) most likely the cat monitor are turned off in the tune.
My guess is that you’ll get the EGR to pass first. Good luck.

·
regular joe
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
What’s also worked for me on an EGR monitor is a long exit off the freeway (65 mph+) or a long empty road and let it coast down to about 25mph.
If you have an exhaust system (headers and high flow cats) most likely the cat monitor are turned off in the tune.
My guess is that you’ll get the EGR to pass first. Good luck.

This is exactly what my Ford mechanic buddy told me last night....65 to 20 (coasting) a few times

·
regular joe
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
No dice and weather is super shitty here. 65 to 20 is damn near impossible unless you wanna get run over. I did do it a few times though. Also cruised at 60 for 12 minutes. Nothing, nada. EGR, catalyst, and evap did not reset.

Black ice around here tomorrow, then more rain. Hoping my county will grant me an extension to pass emissions. Maybe i can blame covid.

·
regular joe
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I took the truck out in 25 degree weather. I realized the key is the operating temp...i think. I had to drive at 4k rpm to get it up to 170. I found a backroad and blasted the hell out of it. Went through the drive cycle, did what others recommended...

Checked my obdator....nope. still 3 sensors not ready and a pending code of engine coolant not up to temp. Im not worried about that...but i may change the thermostat and coolant. I drove home on the Interstate...kind of pissed off. Just drove regular. Got home, checked the scanner....the EGR reset itself. Now....i just need either the catalyst or the evap to reset itself. The evap is nothing but cruising. Fingers crossed for tomorrow's drive.

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,552 Posts
Has any of the sensors been turned off in the tune? If not you have something wrong with your truck.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
^what he said!

Evap is based off fuel level and steady load driving. Usually fairly easy to set the monitor. Good luck.

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,602 Posts
^what he said!

Evap is based off fuel level and steady load driving. Usually fairly easy to set the monitor. Good luck.
Ya it has to be between 1/4 and 3/4 I think

·
regular joe
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Has any of the sensors been turned off in the tune? If not you have something wrong with your truck.
In original tune: unknown. In current tune: nothing turned off.

I think the key is the operating temp. Im guessing my thermo is stuck open. Its difficult to get it above 170.

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,602 Posts
In original tune: unknown. In current tune: nothing turned off.

I think the key is the operating temp. Im guessing my thermo is stuck open. Its difficult to get it above 170.
If it's a stock t-stat it should be in the mid 190s

·
regular joe
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
If it's a stock t-stat it should be in the mid 190s
Yeah, im guessing not stock or stuck open. Damn near impossible to keep it above 170 degrees.

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,602 Posts
Good thing it's an easy swap

·
regular joe
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
One piece of this puzzle solved. Thermostat was stuck open. NOW the truck gets up to operating temp in a few minutes and hovers at 190 degrees when cruising.

Unfortunately, 2x 15 min cruises @60mph with a little over a half a tank of gas and the evap still didnt reset. I guess im gonna have to go on a LONG drive this weekend.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts