Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
regular joe
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I clear codes with an xcal, does it rest the computer? Im having the damnedest time trying to get my computer 'ready' for emissions inspection. Ive driven 150 miles after disconnecting battery....in town and highway. Still have a p1000

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
3,061 Posts
Can't clear code so your selling your truck? All joking aside I'd at least try using the xcal to clear the code and drive it around. I will say I am glad I don't live where emission inspections is a thing.

·
regular joe
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't clear code so your selling your truck? All joking aside I'd at least try using the xcal to clear the code and drive it around. I will say I am glad I don't live where emission inspections is a thing.
Ha...not selling....wrong forum

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,635 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I’ve had times where I needed ~100 miles to reset mine. Being in NYS, I get only one monitor failure.
Do you still have all the emissions garbage on your truck?

·
regular joe
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve had times where I needed ~100 miles to reset mine. Being in NYS, I get only one monitor failure.
Do you still have all the emissions garbage on your truck?
Yep. Its all there

·
GoD GiVeN
1,936 Posts
Just drive you truck normal on hwy and in city, it will set all monitors eventually, if you remove your battery cable or clear codes with handheld, you will have to start from square one, clearing codes also clears the monitors for emissions, that's the crappy part. Hopefully you are close to stock, if running a tune, it sometimes takes longer to clear all monitors, but having your factory tune on the computer is the better way to go, trust me, had to jump through all kinds of hoops here in Cali a few years ago

and P1000 will never go away, this is showing your computer has a tune, not factory

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,635 Posts
Just drive you truck normal on hwy and in city, it will set all monitors eventually, if you remove your battery cable or clear codes with handheld, you will have to start from square one, clearing codes also clears the monitors for emissions, that's the crappy part. Hopefully you are close to stock, if running a tune, it sometimes takes longer to clear all monitors, but having your factory tune on the computer is the better way to go, trust me, had to jump through all kinds of hoops here in Cali a few years ago

and P1000 will never go away, this is showing your computer has a tune, not factory
The last sentence is false. My truck doesn't show p1000...
It means drive cycle isn't complete.

You can pass emissions with a tune. You can't pass emissions with p1000

·
GoD GiVeN
1,936 Posts
Actually you can pass emissions with a P1000, this isn't an error code. My truck has been tuned for over 15 years, still shows P1000 and I never failed no emission test. But, we do live in different states, so maybe it depends on state, all I know, 15yrs tuned in Cali, never failed with P1000 showing up on my Predator tuner.

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,635 Posts
P1000 literally means the drive cycle isn't complete.
Cali doesn't allow for 01+ vehicles.

Per cali law
3340.42.2. Test Methods and Standards for the On-Board Diagnostic Inspection
vehicle model-years 2001 and newer having more than one (1) incomplete emissions related readiness monitor shall fail the OBDII portion of the inspection.

·
GoD GiVeN
1,936 Posts
not sure what to tell you, my handheld has always said P1000 but the monitors have always been green and I never failed, just saying man, either way, back to the OP topic

·
regular joe
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What i needed to know was answered: if i clear codes, i have to start over.

Dusten is correct (at least for GA). P1000 code means sensors arent ready. I have had tunes on all of my vehicles, all have passed emissions. My old L had a P1000, drove it a bit and it was fine. This one though, phew, its been a pain to get the computer to reset. 0-65-coast to 40 is challenging. I can do it on the hwy....and get run over when coasting to 40. No side roads around here private enough to get up to 65 and coast to 40.

·
regular joe
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, now I am beyond frustrated. I drove the truck for 2 hours today...about 90 miles. This is on top of the 125 miles i put on it since i last had my battery disconnected. I went through all of the parameters of the drive cycle...not in order though. Still failed emissions. P1000...2 sensors not ready. Could these possibly be turned off in the tune and that's what is being read?

I have no idea what else to do. I have 10 more days to pass emissions, then im screwed.

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,635 Posts
They could be turned off in the tune. They should be able to tell you what sensors are showing offline.

·
GoD GiVeN
1,936 Posts
Do you know what monitors are not cleared? Might be worth buying a cheap scanner tool from harbor freight to see what monitors haven't cleared.

·
regular joe
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I actually bought a cheap scanner today from amazon. No idea what sensors arent ready.

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,635 Posts
honestly the better option for things like that is a good obd2 Bluetooth dongle and forscan

1 - 20 of 44 Posts