Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some guys remove weight to go faster. I decided to try it another way. My Lightning on stock suspension has pulled off several 1.6X 60fts with the best being 1.642 on my 28/10/16 Hoosier Slicks.I installed four QA-1 twelve way adjustable shocks and a set of JDM Drag Coil Springs to see if that would help. I also bought two other pair of drag tires to try and better my Lightnings 60ft times. I bought my 28/12.50/16 MT ET Street from Matt/MrCarbine. I bought the other set 30/14/16 M&H Racemasters from jdiggy. All wheels are mounted on 10/16 BAJA Rims. The Hoosier with rims weigh in at 50lbs each. The MT ET Street weigh in at 52lbs. And the M&H Racemasters weigh in at 57lbs. The next cool weekend that I don't have to work we will be testing tires at the drag strip.

:bigtu-Bob

Attachments

·
Building a fast catfish!!!
15,687 Posts

Be interested to see how that works out

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Be interested to see how that works out

I will be sure to let everyone know the results.

:bigtu:bigtu-Bob

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have a feeling your not gonna like the MT ET streets, that style tire on a 16" rim to my knowledge doesn't work well on lightnings.

MT's other tires have done well, just not those bias ply ET Streets.

Time will tell.

Bob

·
Administrator
18,137 Posts
With 60' times in the 1.6x range, what is the issue? Are you spinning? If not, 60' times are a product of power/weight. If you are spinning then those adjustables and springs will help. Dial it in on the known combo first before adding other variables to the equation.

If spinning is not an issue then this test is simply playing with final drive ratio, rotating mass and rolling resistance.

Jim

·
Registered
636 Posts
Have a feeling your not gonna like the MT ET streets, that style tire on a 16" rim to my knowledge doesn't work well on lightnings.

I have to agree with you on this. My uncle has tried a set of nitto555r 305-45-18 and the et streets (28x11.5 and 28x12.5-16) on ar baja's and his truck always run better with the nittos on the factory wheels. We swap wheels one day at the truck to make sure we werent imagining things and with the nittos his truck always ran a tenth or better and almost 3 mph better.

·
15,687 Posts

Dol... not saying your wrong, but Got Boost ran some awesome time on his MT Et Streets... Granted his truck has something that makes it good at anything anyway...lol

·
Registered
558 Posts
nice selection, will be a great real world comparison although I presume there also a world shortage of 16x10 Bajas [smilie=3g

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Damn Bob, it looks like a tire and wheel warhhouse at your place...Good luck with the comparison, I know it will at least be fun...In my opinion it will take several passes on each with different air pressures and shock settings to get a true conclusion.

·
Vendor
4,138 Posts
Dol... not saying your wrong, but Got Boost ran some awesome time on his MT Et Streets... Granted his truck has something that makes it good at anything anyway...lol
Thought he ran Hoosiers or the MT ET Street radials (the radial's are different but they are also ET streets)

Those in his (Bob's) picture are Bias ply ET streets. I've seen them work on cars, but on Lightnings most have problems not sure why.

BTW I have a set of those MT ET Street Radials on 16" rims, I've been in 1.5 60' on them too.

·
15,687 Posts
perhaps he was on Radials... let me go check them... they are in my basement ready to go onto my L on trackday

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thought he ran Hoosiers or the MT ET Street radials (the radial's are different but they are also ET streets)

Those in his (Bob's) picture are Bias ply ET streets. I've seen them work on cars, but on Lightnings most have problems not sure why.

BTW I have a set of those MT ET Street Radials on 16" rims, I've been in 1.5 60' on them too.
DolSVT00, how tall were the MT ET Street Radials? I have room for another set, LOL. jdiggy told me he cut 1.5X 60fts. with the M&H that I bought from him.

·
Vendor
4,138 Posts
DolSVT00, how tall were the MT ET Street Radials? I have room for another set, LOL. jdiggy told me he cut 1.5X 60fts. with the M&H that I bought from him.

Ya those M&H's are pretty sticky, I like those tire's I just have no need for a 30" tire as i still have 3.55 gears.

The MT radials I have are 315/45/16 their approx a 27.5x12" tire if you compared them to a slick. There's 295's out there but I believe they are a shorter 10" wide tire.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nice selection, will be a great real world comparison although I presume there also a world shortage of 16x10 Bajas [smilie=3g[/QUOTE]
That is the only drag wheel a poor man on a budget like me can afford, LOL. I was surprised the first set I bought when I read where they were made. How can a wheel made by American Racing be made in China? Why didn't they call it China Racing and than I might have saved for Bogarts, LOL.

·
Vendor
4,138 Posts
That is the only drag wheel a poor man on a budget like me can afford, LOL. I was surprised the first set I bought when I read where they were made. How can a wheel made by American Racing be made in China? Why didn't they call it China Racing and than I might have saved for Bogarts, LOL.

Well, now if you don't like your results, you can sell all those and buy bogarts.......... You ll have to save for tires though lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
12 Participants
disco
Lightning Rodder
Join our Lightning Rodder community to discuss the supercharged Ford F150 SVT and Harley Davidson edition pickup.
Full Forum Listing