Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fixing to pull my single din alpine head unit out to replace it with a double din. I want DVD, backup cam, and navigation capabilities. My biggest concern however is getting the most flush look possible. Can y'all post pics and details about what brand / model you guys are running and how you like them. Pics would be awesome. Thanks Rich.

·
HemiLOL
2,938 Posts
pioneer's are nice. you can get the 2300 for like 250 shipped on ebay, great deal!

·
JTBtheSISSY thinks his cobras fast.
4,002 Posts
not sure if you use an iPhone but i got the new app radio. has b/u camera capabilities and will do movies but have to have everything on your iPhone

·
tuned by JJ @ WMS
8,864 Posts
this 1 is mine. its a pioneer i think, cant remember. bought it online for a real good price. pretty flush considering i was kinda doing it in a hurry cuz it waas ****ing hot outside. it has everything. unput for ipod, back up camera ready. plays movies, mp3s. bluetooth ready. cant remember it all. but pretty much alot of shyt. oh and detachable face. and it tilts. ill post link up for u

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
The stock unit is a POS and I hate that it is because I like to keep my head unit factory so that thieve won't be tempted to steal it. The old Ford 6 disc CD changers would always go bad. It was the same way in my Cobra. When I inquired to getting a stock replacement the only ones that are available are re-manned units that were about $300 along with you sending them you broken changer in a core swap. Just not worth it.

When my L's changer went bad I replaced it with on of these.
Eclipse CD1200G+IPC-009 (cd1200g_ipc009) Double DIN CD/MP3 Car

It's cheap, has USB, and AUX hookups, has way more power than the factory unit so it sound a lot better, and it doesn't look too fancy, or command much unwanted attention, and looks kind of factory. It's also an Eclipse so it's a very good brand. I don't even listen to CD's anymore with it as it allows you to plug up a MP3 player/IPOD/USB card and listen to music off of them, but it plays CD's just fine. I highly recommend it if you aren't wanting to spend a lot, want to keep a factory look, or are wanting to keep a low profile with your car stereo. Like I said it pushes way more power than the OEM unit, and music sounds much better with it. Even with the factory speaks you can turn them up pretty loud before they distort.

If you do go with an aftermarket double DIN unit buy this kit it works great:
Amazon.com: Metra 95-5818 Double Din Dash Kit for Select 1997-2003 Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Vehicles: Electronics

The one Sonic Electronics includes won't work without doing a hack job as it's made to fit pre-97 F150's.

Here are some pictures.

·
tuned by JJ @ WMS
8,864 Posts
^^^the radio speaks the truth.... virgin lol

·
R.I.P #3005
3,733 Posts
everything looks and works Great.​
I like that. Does it have a sw output? What model is it? Does it have an iPhone jack?
I just put the same one in my truck not to long ago and love it. Yes it does have a Iphone jack in the front and really easy controls on the touch screen for playing music. Blue tooth works great on it too shows your contacts and call history on the screen. Great setup for the money I paid 550 for it at a local shop.

·
NO RAGRETS!!!
12,119 Posts
I have the Clarion unit and love it. It is fully expandable to add whatever you want. Bluetooth, Nav, Ipod, TV, SAT radio, back up camera.

I've also done a few JVC installs:

·
JTBtheSISSY thinks his cobras fast.
4,002 Posts
Maybe a dumb question. Do all of these work with droid smartphones as well as the iphones? I need one that will play pandora from my droid.
not sure about the app radio playing droid but i know pandora works on my iPhone and app radio

·
Proudly Melting Faces Since 1994
1,868 Posts
I love my Pioneer!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 74 Posts