Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plan on doing my FTVB today but first want to double check to make sure i have the right stuff.

fluid: MERCON type
Factory pan: 6 quarts of new fluid
Gasket Reusable: YES or NO?
New filter: F3TZ-7G186-AB

Also i only have a torque wrench that reads inch-lbs. For the pan can i take the 12 Ft-lbs it needs and times it by 12 to get the number i need to set my inch-lbs torque wrench?

thanks for the help

·
Snail Powered
7,830 Posts
IIRC mercon type is the stuff to use. and 6 quarts should be good as long as you don't drain out the entire tranny. just whats in the pan. i'm not sure if the gasket is reusable but if it isn't your new filter should come with a gasket inside.

I changed the fluid in my tranny a couple months back. I have a 4x4 pan and it took 7-8 quarts.

·
BLACK SUNSHINE
2,787 Posts
Just make sure you check your fluid level over the next couple of days to keep an eye on everything. IIRC I reused my OEM one and put the new filter in. I think the filter came with a new gasket (cork style) and I personally didn't want to use it, and my OEM gasket was fine, so I just re-used it.

Also, after I installed my FTVB I thought it would chirping tires from the beginning, but it didnt. It did take a break-in period (if you want to call it that). Now it's perfect and glad I did it in the beginning.

And if you have a tuner....leave all the parameters at stock.

Inch Lbs vs Foot Lbs calculation = ? Someone else will have to chime in here.

Let us know how you like it once everything is in place.

Good luck.
Scarpino

·
Boostaholic
5,129 Posts
Yes gasket is reusable. I was told by Tim at Chickenears to disconnect the battery when I did my FTVB and it did seem to make a difference (could be just me though). Just thought I would pass that on and yes there is def a "break-in" period. Mine was sorta soft at first but now it chirps the hell out of the tires into 2nd :smt023 Good luck Matt

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yes, you can multiply the inch pounds to get foot pounds. Start off small though and work up to 144 lb/in then check and recheck.

Its better that your using an inch pounds torque wrench anyways. They have a shorter and thinner shaft than most foot pound torque wrenches. It will help prevent any over-torqing and stretching the threads.

AND, like mentioned, the gasket is reuseable. Fluid amount will vary but start off with 5-6 and check. Add as necessary.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,
I just completed the install. I did run in to one problem and that is my Craftsman 4-ton Jack decided it did not want to lift the front of the truck up as high as i wanted it so it then started spilling oil out the shaft. . :smt102

But I did get the FTVB installed and love it. To me it shifts hard so after break in it will be perfect. Who ever said this should be the first mod is correct. I just wish I would not have waited 3 months to install mine. Thanks to the how-to write up i didnot take a shower in ATF!
[smilie=3g

·
Registered
153 Posts
if you go into the programer diablo, were do you modify the line pressure i cant find it since the ftvb install. I want to take the line pressure back down to normal.

·
Say when
2,762 Posts
Thanks guys,
I just completed the install. I did run in to one problem and that is my Craftsman 4-ton Jack decided it did not want to lift the front of the truck up as high as i wanted it so it then started spilling oil out the shaft. . :smt102

But I did get the FTVB installed and love it. To me it shifts hard so after break in it will be perfect. Who ever said this should be the first mod is correct. I just wish I would not have waited 3 months to install mine. Thanks to the how-to write up i didnot take a shower in ATF!
[smilie=3g[/quote]

Them Craftsman Jacks, POS!!!! My friend has a brand new one that does the same thing. I wont even pump up anymore, just sprays fluid everywhere

You love your FTVB, you can't beat leavin the red light and bustin off second

·
PAY UP SUCKA!!!
4,777 Posts
I don't have mine at hand but isn't it under drivability.........dang, sorry dude mines out in the truck. Not hard to find though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts