Lightning Rodder banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
first few posts here might help

the heater box may or may not be an issue in raising the tunnel..but you're apparently gonna really need three inches ,somewhere /somehow
I think I am going to try to call Rockland Standard Gear to see if their Tranzilla T56 with 4x4 transfer case will work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Maybe. It doesn't say what transfer case it mates too. I'd suggest giving them a call.
I will give them a call. Let you know what they say.

That doesn't mean shit.

I've built and wheeled 4x4s for 2 decades. But a t56 swapped truck, let alone trying to find one that will mate to your transfer case is rare.
Nice language.

Will I guess I will have to find the gem in all the rocks.

·
10 second street truck
12,718 Posts
Look, complain about the language all you want.

1) you came to a lightning forum asking for 4x4 help. That's your problem.
2) I am not here to sugarcoat shit.
3) Looking to manual swap a very common truck would've probably been an easier ask on a forum for that trucks forum or Facebook groups. There are maybe 3-4 4x4 trucks here that are lightning swapped and 0 of them are manuals. So you are asking for advice from a group that's literally never done the swap.

·
10 second street truck
12,718 Posts
RSG's website litteraly says to call them to see what transfer case options will work.

I can personally say if you plan to actually go offroad a well sorted automatic is a much better option. I am not trying to sway you from your love a manual. I have a pile of parts waiting to go in my lightning to manual swap it, and my daughters f100 is 5 speed swapped.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Look, complain about the language all you want.

1) you came to a lightning forum asking for 4x4 help. That's your problem.
2) I am not here to sugarcoat shit.
3) Looking to manual swap a very common truck would've probably been an easier ask on a forum for that trucks forum or Facebook groups. There are maybe 3-4 4x4 trucks here that are lightning swapped and 0 of them are manuals. So you are asking for advice from a group that's literally never done the swap.
Freedom of speech. Your words are your words. My words are my words.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
RSG's website litteraly says to call them to see what transfer case options will work.

I can personally say if you plan to actually go offroad a well sorted automatic is a much better option. I am not trying to sway you from your love a manual. I have a pile of parts waiting to go in my lightning to manual swap it, and my daughters f100 is 5 speed swapped.
That is literally why I am going to call them. I already said that. I am not a hard core off reader and would like a manual with a Lightning Supercharger on my truck. I know you aren't trying to sway me, you are giving advice that I asked for. You can't offend me unless you try to.

·
Registered
453 Posts
your above post takes me back to my "find a wrecked gas superduty".suggestion

every part you need less peddles all in one place all one price

you'll have everything in one shot ..including bolts clips ,do dadds and the driveshaft yokes n shafts to make what you'll need

if the superduty parts are good enough for a desiel .. they should be good for a supercharged 5.4... as long as you don't burn up drivetrains , overspeeding things,..doing burnouts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
your above post takes me back to my "find a wrecked gas superduty".suggestion

every part you need less peddles all in one place all one price

you'll have everything in one shot ..including bolts clips ,do dadds and the driveshaft yokes n shafts to make what you'll need

if the superduty parts are good enough for a desiel .. they should be good for a supercharged 5.4... as long as you don't burn up drivetrains , overspeeding things,..doing burnouts.
I am to scared to pop the clutch so I think IF I can't get this Tranzilla to fit than the ZF will be the only way to go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interested to hear what you find out about the Tranzilla swap. If you end up looking for a solid but cheap ZF check these guys out, https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=ZF6. Way better price than big box stores if you're going with a rebuilt or used option, not sure about performance options. I replaced the 4r100 in my 02 Lightning with one of their units a couple years back and it's been great. I'm all stock though

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Interested to hear what you find out about the Tranzilla swap. If you end up looking for a solid but cheap ZF check these guys out, https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=ZF6. Way better price than big box stores if you're going with a rebuilt or used option, not sure about performance options. I replaced the 4r100 in my 02 Lightning with one of their units a couple years back and it's been great. I'm all stock though
Yah I am going to pass on the Tranzilla 4x4. $6,750!!!!!! That is what they quoted me. I love manual transmissions but not that much! Yah I am considering the ZF5 swap but at this point I think I am just going to have to stick with my 4r70w.

·
10 second street truck
12,718 Posts
Yah I am going to pass on the Tranzilla 4x4. $6,750!!!!!! That is what they quoted me. I love manual transmissions but not that much! Yah I am considering the ZF5 swap but at this point I think I am just going to have to stick with my 4r70w.
Lol I could've told you that. A manual swapped lightning done right is 8-10k.

·
10 second street truck
12,718 Posts
A T56 F-150 4x4. If I didn't have 4x4 it would be a lot cheaper.
To properly swap these, with a t56 that will handle the power and weight, you're 8-10k into the swap.

Clutch and flywheel
Trans
Shifter
Hydraulics for the clutch
Driveline
Shifter
Pedals and interior bits.

Would you like to see my spreadsheet? Quote from American performance? Pile of parts I've started accumulating?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts