Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone:

Before you start writing up some horrible reply that I probably deserve for posting this thread in the wrong forum, hear me out. So I have done a lot of research on swapping a manual transmission into my 2003 5.4L Fx4 and have went through countless F150 forums threads and came up with nothing. It doesn't make financial sense or sense at all but I don't care I want to do it. I have a 2003 Ford F150 Single Cab short bed 5.4L Fx4 with 4r70w transmission.

Then, I found a thread for a manual Lightning swap and it lead me to create a account here which then made me find a whole forum about a stick shift swap. To each is own opinion, and my opinion be that I would rather have this truck than Lightning.

Now for my question, I am wondering if it would work for my Fx4. Some people who swapped in a manual transmission used Tremec T56 mental transmission from a Dodge Viper into their Lightning. Could I make this work with my Fx4 transfer case? I know it would be a lot of work and money I just want to know if it can be done. Are there better alternatives? The reason I posted it here is that I want to add a Lightning Supercharger down the road so I want a strong transmission.

Thanks!

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Sky Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
453 Posts
going to suggest the getrag 6 speed trans from the superduty trucks instead
used behind both the 5.4 and V10so it ain't gonna break
probably a better choise for a 4x4 and they can be had with or without transfer case..

but .. bad news part ..I hear you have to chop out the trans tunnel and raise it to clear that trans in this body

I have no idea how much but if less than 2 inches you could probably get away with a 3 inch body lift (?)

6 speed ..granny low ,a 4 speed,and overdrive might suit your purpose better ?

granted it'll have a school bus / stake truck shifter but someone WAS making a short shifter for that ..Idono if you can still get one now

it's something I'd love to do to my non lightning truck ..too

·
10 second street truck
12,717 Posts
The t56 was never available in a 4wd configuration and is not rated for the weight of a big 4x4 truck.

Typically a 4wd trans has a tail housing setup to make to the t-case.

As stated above, a zf6 is probably your best option.

·
Registered
453 Posts
allegedly..5.4/ V10 ZF6 bellhousing pics taken from linked add

figure saving the pic makes picking the right one off a shelf easier..

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
realistically, considering the price of zf 6's .. used or rebuilt, a nice clean but wrecked V10 6 spd parts truck .. that still starts , would be an awesome parts source .. for probably money similar to just the transmission

clutch ,flywheel , trans,fiddily bits.. add$$ up..fast
and a V10 you can put on a stand on the garage .. with the exhaust manifolds upside down and backwards can just wait till you can fund a pair of GTX 35/82's

and,4x4.., remember, ..turbo's,..LIKE hills

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
going to suggest the getrag 6 speed trans from the superduty trucks instead used behind both the 5.4 and V10so it ain't gonna break probably a better choise for a 4x4 and they can be had with or without transfer case..but .. bad news part ..I hear you have to chop out the trans tunnel and raise it to clear that trans in this body. I have no idea how much but if less than 2 inches you could probably get away with a 3 inch body lift (?). 6 speed ..granny low ,a 4 speed,and overdrive might suit your purpose better ?. granted it'll have a school bus / stake truck shifter but someone WAS making a short shifter for that ..Idono if you can still get one now. it's something I'd love to do to my non lightning truck ..too
Well I would have to look into that but if I can find a better transmission option than I wouldn't do that. Yah I would have to drive one to feel how horrible the transmission is but if someone made a short throw shifter still I would consider that. Just can't get passed raising the trany tunnel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The t56 was never available in a 4wd configuration and is not rated for the weight of a big 4x4 truck.

Well if I did without my 4x4 system would it work? Probably would like to keep my 4x4 system but might as well explore my options. I don't like the idea of cutting the transmission tunnel to fit the ZF6 but if it is my last option than I will zee.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks for that!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
realistically, considering the price of zf 6's .. used or rebuilt, a nice clean but wrecked V10 6 spd parts truck .. that still starts , would be an awesome parts source .. for probably money similar to just the transmission

clutch ,flywheel , trans,fiddily bits.. add$$ up..fast
and a V10 you can put on a stand on the garage .. with the exhaust manifolds upside down and backwards can just wait till you can fund a pair of GTX 35/82's

and,4x4.., remember, ..turbo's,..LIKE hills
Yah, we also have a Raptor and I think I ALMOST like turbos better than superchargers. Than I thought about it like this. Well I love turbos on certain vehicles and I love superchargers on others. Just like V6's. I love them on trucks but love a V8 in a sports car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
probably a better choise for a 4x4 and they can be had with or without transfer case..

but .. bad news part ..I hear you have to chop out the trans tunnel and raise it to clear that trans in this body

I have no idea how much but if less than 2 inches you could probably get away with a 3 inch body lift (?)

granted it'll have a school bus / stake truck shifter but someone WAS making a short shifter for that ..Idono if you can still get one now

Well any better options than the ZF6. IF I have to do without my 4x4 system would the T56 work? I will probably keep my 4x4 system but explorering my options.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

So there is NO way that I can use a ZF6 and makeshift my transfer case?

·
Registered
453 Posts
you'll have to google the transfer case for your truck and compare it to the super duty trucks transfer case..I have no idea if it's the same ..but I'd kinda doubt it as the zf trans also comes behind diesels

the listings I've seen an attached transfer case isn't a rare find on a zf 6..finding it in a gas truck bellhousing is more of a challenge

back end housing of the trans will differ as the 2wd one will have a simple yoke seal the 4x4 one will have the attaching surface for the transfer case .

the school bus shifter won't hurt..if you can drive.. you don't need to be trying to rip things outta the floor to shift gears

also rebuilding anything wiggle-ie or sloppy in the shift mechanism will go a long way to
along with all new bearings & shims..because used is sloppy when you have an aluminum case (cough)
and a sloppy trans is a grenade waiting for the fuse to burn

hate to say but this is probably the wrong site for finite details regarding the zf 6 swap ..but maybe not if the right person's around

·
Registered
453 Posts
as for the floor tunnel .. go to the u-pick yard .. rip the seats and carpet out of a truck in the yard .
it's a really good resource for exploratory surgeries that don't involve ripping your own stuff apart before you have an idea of what you're really going to do
at the wrecker's..
a hatchet and a sledge hammer will chop that piece out .. extra large easy and quickly enough too...including any under floor crossmembers you might encounter

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you'll have to google the transfer case for your truck and compare it to the super duty trucks transfer case..I have no idea if it's the same ..but I'd kinda doubt it as the zf trans also comes behind diesels

the listings I've seen an attached transfer case isn't a rare find on a zf 6..finding it in a gas truck bellhousing is more of a challenge

back end housing of the trans will differ as the 2wd one will have a simple yoke seal the 4x4 one will have the attaching surface for the transfer case .

the school bus shifter won't hurt..if you can drive.. you don't need to be trying to rip things outta the floor to shift gears

also rebuilding anything wiggle-ie or sloppy in the shift mechanism will go a long way to
along with all new bearings & shims..because used is sloppy when you have an aluminum case (cough)
and a sloppy trans is a grenade waiting for the fuse to burn

hate to say but this is probably the wrong site for finite details regarding the zf 6 swap ..but maybe not if the right person's around
as for the floor tunnel .. go to the u-pick yard .. rip the seats and carpet out of a truck in the yard .
it's a really good resource for exploratory surgeries that don't involve ripping your own stuff apart before you have an idea of what you're really going to do
at the wrecker's..
a hatchet and a sledge hammer will chop that piece out .. extra large easy and quickly enough too...including any under floor crossmembers you might encounter
I just really would like that T56 so if I could makeshift it somehow to fit ANY transfer case (cause I am pretty sure my stock transfer case wouldn't hold up to a Lightning Supercharger) that would be awesome.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I found a T56 with a 4x4 system would this work for me?

·
Registered
453 Posts
first few posts here might help

the heater box may or may not be an issue in raising the tunnel..but you're apparently gonna really need three inches ,somewhere /somehow

1 - 20 of 35 Posts