Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought yall might like to see a few pics.....

I finally stated the teardown process to install my Crower Stage 2 cams.

This is after about an hour and 45 mins, I am not in a hurry at all, I enjoy working on my Lightning, but the first part goes rather quick.
Tonight I will start changing out the valve springs.....my most favorite part :-?

I should be though before the weekend is over, but I have to install some lowering springs on a friends SS also this weekend and a few other small projects that will hinder me a little.













 

·
El duderino
Joined
·
13,077 Posts
wow, i didn't think that this was possible with the motor still in the truck.

hopefully you will pick up some power with those valve springs and cams.

a couple questions:
1. what boost level are you running at currently?
2. are your heads ported?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lightninmike said:
but why did you pull the hood? just for a little more wiggle room?
Yep, and it only takes about 2 minutes to pull it. I have some alignment holes that I use when I install the hood back on so that it is returns to the exact same spot without any heartache.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bet on black said:
wow, i didn't think that this was possible with the motor still in the truck.

hopefully you will pick up some power with those valve springs and cams.

a couple questions:
1.  what boost level are you running at currently?
2.  are your heads ported?
Yes, it is very possible. The question is....Will I be able to accomplish the changing of the valve springs without removing the front wheels and inner fender liners? I am gonna try to, but if it becomes a hassle I will remove the liners.

to answer your questions:
1. currently I am runninng 16 psi (6lb lower - 3.25 upper) but I have all the pullies that KB makes down to the 2.50 :D, I have ran up to 20 psi previously
2. stock heads
 

·
Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Joined
·
5,887 Posts
Every time I see a pic of that Lightning I say to myself thats a fine ride
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
749 Posts
i just dont have the patients to do that at this time, thats why i sent it to Sal at PSP to do mine. i should have it back next week, im also running stock heads with a 6# lower, im using the crower stage II cams im using the steel retainers instead of the titanium, crowers tech line told me i should use the titanium only if im going to use the stage III or if i was to have a non supercharged vehicle using stage IIII, those would be the only time recomended for them. so they saved me some cash.. i hope all goes well with your install, let me know how it is when its done so i know what to look forward to when my "L" returns from PSP..
Rich
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Looks like you are making great progress,I didnt think removing the valve covers while the motor was still in the truck was possible. Since it looks like it is I might be removing mine to paint them. Any tips ?

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JoeGSVT said:
Looks like you are making great progress,I didnt think removing the valve covers while the motor was still in the truck was possible. Since it looks like it is I might be removing mine to paint them. Any tips ?

Joe
Driver side VC is a piece of cake, even easier if you have the EGR delete like I do :D, the passenger side is another story. The trick is to remove the battery and pop off the little solenoid cover and remove the 2 screws holding the big black bracket to the firewall. Now lay the bracket over towards where the battery was. You can also now use the battery tray for a parts /toll holder while your working :LOL

Oh, I almost forgot, the power sterring res. is over the VC on the driver side and is a little tricky but not bad at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hostile03SVT said:
i just dont have the patients to do that at this time, thats why i sent it to Sal at PSP to do mine. i should have it back next week, im also running stock heads with a 6# lower, im using the crower stage II cams im using the steel retainers instead of the titanium, crowers tech line told me i should use the titanium only if im going to use the stage III or if i was to have a non supercharged vehicle using stage IIII, those would be the only time recomended for them.  so they saved me some cash..  i hope all goes well with your install, let me know how it is when its done so i know what to look forward to when my "L" returns from PSP..
Rich
I dont trust anyone to work on my stuff except me and I still screw up  :D, seriously though....we dont have anyone around here that specializes in Lightnings (except me  [smilie=laugh.gif])
But I enjoy doing my own work and I could never have built my truck up this far if I had to pay labor on top of these expensive parts.....I work 70+ hours most weeks and do side jobs on other peoples rides so I can afford to have my toys  :)

Your really lucky to have someone like Sal so close !!!  :)
 

·
El duderino
Joined
·
13,077 Posts
yes it would be possible. i think a set of cams go for around $600.
 

·
Project Dirty Dog
Joined
·
6,747 Posts
I think im gonna wait till I get a built block and do the cams then so I can get them installed while the motor is allready open.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,857 Posts
God I wish I had KB living near me, I'd give up a lung right now to have a set of cams installed.

Rich I am awaiting your results as bad as you are I think  [smilie=fingersx.gif]
The question is, will Sal do it again, so far he's giving me all indications thats a NO  :-?

Where do you live KB  :D
GREAT POST AS USUAL BRO
BEST OF LUCK AND CONGRATS. That Beast truly is a one of a kind, and simply beeeeautiful....
:smt023 :smt023 :smt023
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Come on down here to Alabama Rob :D

I got the cams installed and the beast back on the road yesterday.

I will try to get some video clips and pics up in the next few days.

Now I need to put in my dual 255 pumps one day this week and then dyno time !! [smilie=fingersx.gif]
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top