Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I just thought I'd share my experience sprucing up the L a bit. I bought some trim pieces from LMR the other day and they came so I installed them. I installed the following:

New OEM hood cowl
New OEM side steps
New OEM rear side trim(under the tailight)
New OEM bed rail caps(all 3 pieces)
New OEM wiper blades
New LMR wiper arms
New LMR lug nuts.

The truck looks so much better but it wasn't as easy I thought it would be. Getting the old stuff off was a pain and putting the new stuff on was even more so. I had hell getting the lower side pieces in place.

In the end the truck looks almost new so I posted a few crappy cell pics:

Thanks for checking this out.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It took me about 5-6 hours to do all of that. I had to clean underneath everything after all the old stuff was off. It was really dirty. I still have yet to put the rear bumper parts on as they have not arrived. It ran me about 875 bucks for everything shipped. Worthy investment in a good lucking truck if you ask me. :bigtu

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
:bigtu

I'm also curious what the total cost was. I wanted the fresh Armor-All appearance so I painted all of my exterior plastics with gloss black SEM Bumper Coater which achieved exactly what I wanted.

·
Registered
392 Posts
It took me about 5-6 hours to do all of that. I had to clean underneath everything after all the old stuff was off. It was really dirty. I still have yet to put the rear bumper parts on as they have not arrived. It ran me about 875 bucks for everything shipped. Worthy investment in a good lucking truck if you ask me. :bigtu
Well it definitely looks good so that makes it worth it, I'm going to eventually replace them all as well once money is right.

:bigtu

I'm also curious what the total cost was. I wanted the fresh Armor-All appearance so I painted all of my exterior plastics with gloss black SEM Bumper Coater which achieved exactly what I wanted.
I really like that fresh look and is what I'm looking for too, do you have any pictures by an chance ? And how has it held up ?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They attach to the side of the bed underneath the actual piece. Pins face inward toward the bed. They are a pain to pull and install so be ready for that.

·
10,556 Posts
I really like that fresh look and is what I'm looking for too, do you have any pictures by an chance ? And how has it held up ?
Belle hasn't been a DD for many years so I'm hoping it will hold up for many years to come. I'm debating whether or not I should give the plastics on the HD the same treatment because she is still a DD. Prep is critical when painting plastics, especially since most of us have used Armor-All, etc. on them over the years to keep them looking good. SEM Bumper Coater gloss black part# 39083.

Land vehicle Pickup truck Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Pickup truck

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That looks good. I would like to paint my rear window surround some day. I painted the grills a satin black and they came out great.

·
10,556 Posts
That looks good. I would like to paint my rear window surround some day. I painted the grills a satin black and they came out great.
I made a brief swap to satin black factory grilles, they lasted about 250 miles before I swapped back to the HD grille [smilie=om. I love black grilles but IMO they are best suited on lighter colors (red, silver, white) due to the contrast they provide. For the same reason the chrome HD grille pops on darker colors (DSG, black, TB, SB).

[QUOTE="LazyDriver, post: 4567378, member: 44858"]Damn that looks really really good Throttle Jockey, I'm doing that ASAP ! Thanks for the part # , any tips before I jump to it ?[/quote]

To quote myself from a previous post:
Prep is critical. I followed the directions given to me by the paint shop I bought the SEM Bumper Coater from.

1) Clean with Comet and a grey scotch pad
2) Place in the sun for several hours so the heat and UV allow sub-surface oils, etc. to leech to the surface
3) Clean a second time with Comet and grey scotch pad
4) Allow to dry

You can repeat the cleaning as much as you want.

SEM Bumper Coater does not require primer and it has adhesion promoter in the mix. I gave each piece a quick shot and wipe down with SEM Plastic & Leather Prep then shot them with the Bumper Coater.

·
Registered
329 Posts
To the OP and Throttle Jockey, your trucks looks great!! Very nice! What part of Texas are you two from?

·
10,556 Posts
Throttle Jockey, my truck is missing that little round cap over the bumper hitch install location...is that something you came up with or is it readily available?
Its a Ford part but is no longer available at Ford. The part number is XL3Z-17D754-AAB. You can find them on ebay or your local junkyard. They are sandable and paintable, I smoothed and color matched them for both of my trucks. Once its in the bumper I use a rubber plug from Home Depot to ensure a sung fit, not necessary but my preference.

To the OP and Throttle Jockey, your trucks looks great!! Very nice! What part of Texas are you two from?
Thank you :smt023. I'm from Austin originally but spent 2007-2012 in San Antonio. I returned to San Diego in 2013. If/when I come home it will be to Austin but that isn't anytime in the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SA

San Antonio born and raised.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts