Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question because I'm not the most mechanical. Is detonation, pinging due to the timing being to high. or low octane. We in california have 91. I have not heard this on my 'L" but I want to know what to listen for. They say the best way is to roll your windows up and then you would be able to hear it under WOT

·
Frauderator
5,862 Posts
i have not heard this on my L, but i want to know what to listen for. :smt017

sounds like you are talkin to a doctor about a rash your friend got in vegas :shock:

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
THE WORSE KIND is silent detonation,
YES there is Silent Detonation also

As for the sound, here's how most describe it:

philosophico said:
Sounds like pebbles bouncing around in your engine.  Constantly popping the harder
you get on it. You will know what it is when you hear it, its not a normal sound.
fractaldragon said:
Marbles in a coffee can!
NTIMD8 said:
Like crushing dried leaves, like crushed ball nearings or like sand swirling around in
your intake.  Thats what it sounds like to me.  LOL
EZGZ said:
Like throwing small pebbles at you truck window. Except now make that rapid fire
when you hit the gas hard.
I can tell you this, I once melted (3) plugs at the track racing and it immediatly started
Detonating, THERE IS NO MISTAKING THE SOUND, YOU'LL KNOW  ;)

However as said, there is silent Detonation TOO, which YOU WILL NOT HEAR,
Not as dangerous, but in the long run will cause Plug failure and CAN BE dangerous
under certain situations.

Reason for it,
Too much Timing
Too Lean
Clogged Fuel Filter
Bad Gas
Schitty Gas
Too low of Octane
Too much Boost
Altitude

BTW
Ca is KNOWN for having crappy low octane gas, and A LOT of L's have problem running
6lbs of Pulley on that fuel. Most are ok up to 4lbs extra pulley, but in a lot of cases they
have to run a much lower timing that say someone here in NY

Hope that helps........... :D

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lightninquick said:
i have not heard this on my L, but i want to know what to listen for. :smt017

sounds like you are talkin to a doctor about a rash your friend got in vegas :shock:
What goes on in vegas stays in vegas

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I had asked this was to truley try to listen if I have it. I thought once I did. I was up around 115mph and gave it the rest of the throttle and I thought I heard something what I have read in distription. I have later tried to do it again and can't hear anything so maybe it was just the marbles that bounce around in (lightningquick's) head I over heard.

·
Frauderator
5,862 Posts
hey dave :smt018, where do you get your gas from (no pun) stick to mobil shell or chevron out here. i have gotten bad gas a few times. but im running a little higher boost then you. so quit trying to save a penny a gallon and buy the good stuff

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chevron, 76 are what I run I used to do ARCO before I went up in boost. I went to Arco for the Sratchers. I loved it when I went to pay and I used to lean over the counter and sratch the dot on their foreheads to see if I won anything. One time I got a Goat! [smilie=dancingcool.gif] I will try Mobile next.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I can give you a hint about the silent detonation...
It usualy happens at WOT it will feel like a misfire, kinda of like you lost power for a split second. If you let off right away you may just damage a plug or two. I have done this twice to the tune of about 3K worth of damage.

Suavy

·
Registered
734 Posts
I can give you a hint about the silent detonation...
It usualy happens at WOT it will feel like a misfire, kinda of like you lost power for a split second. If you let off right away you may just damage a plug or two. I have done this twice to the tune of about 3K worth of damage.

Suavy

·
Registered
158 Posts
I went to a dyno day and did not put race gas in to run flipped on the race program, Started a run and the dyno dude almost messed his pants telling me to stop!. It was pinging big time and I could not hear it in the truck !
My hearing is not that bad, but I could not hear it .
Be carefull it will destroy an engine real fast.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This subject seems to make everybody wet there pants. It's like playing with nitrocylcerine. I wanted to thank Rob, and all who commented.......... [smilie=party.gif]

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
[smilie=fingersx.gif] IT IS A NOISE YOU HEAR LIKE A BUNCH OF MARBLES RATTLING THEN THE NEXT NOISE YOU WILL HEAR IS" BOOM"

LIGHTNING FAST  [smilie=eek4.gif]

Rob o2 here
Hey Bro, I fixed your Smiley, I noticed in a couple of post from diff people that they werent showing up. It appears you need to have at least 1 space before and after the smiley for it to show.
Hope you don't mind.................

1 - 14 of 14 Posts