Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to install a Punisher valve body so considering the deeper pan/drain plug while I am there. My Lightning is lowered with the Beltech 2" drop up front. Anybody have any issues with the pan bottoming out?

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Moroso takes the stock filter right?? Not the 4x4. Its been a while.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The moroso cant be used with stifflers xbrace right? Thought i read that some where.

·
11.42 @119.87 Stock Block
2,858 Posts
Correct it can't be used with x brace

·
Registered
550 Posts
If It was me and those pans were a issue for you. I'd just run the stock pan and upgrade to the superduty trans cooler instead of a new pan. This will help control heat for the trans also instead of just adding more trans fluid. Even better do both if you can, bigger pan and better cooler.

·
Carbon Fiber Addict
12,723 Posts
I've had two 4x4 pans and dented both, my built trans came with a B&M pan so running that now. The stock filter needs some support brackets added so the filter doesn't fall off and starves the pump.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
9,977 Posts
I don't know how you keep the underside so clean. Do you ever drive it? I try, but it's not easy. Be driving down the road on a picture perfect day, and some business has done something like wash their parking lot, and there is water all over the road. SPLASH! I hate that! Might as well drive it in the rain.

I have a Mag-Hytec pan which I have not installed as of yet. Just haven't got around to it. Came with a four wheel drive filter. My measurements indicate it will hang one inch below my trans crossmember, which is the same as yours. My truck isn't lowered and I will have around seven inches clearance with it installed. I'm not foreseeing any problems with seven inches clearance.

Uncle Frank says he has Mag-Hytec on both his Lightnings.

And pictured below, look at this Lightning. The exhaust looks like it's just a few inches off the ground. I believe it is SVT Tim's turbo Lightning, which he had it in the classifieds and that is where the picture came from. That looks like a Mag-Hytec trans pan as well.

Attachments

·
Carbon Fiber Addict
12,723 Posts
I don't know how you keep the underside so clean. Do you ever drive it? I try, but it's not easy. Be driving down the road on a picture perfect day, and some business has done something like wash their parking lot, and there is water all over the road. SPLASH! I hate that! Might as well drive it in the rain.
I drive it a lot on the weekends, just never in the rain. Also spend lots of time cleaning the underside between every few other oil changes.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I drive it a lot on the weekends, just never in the rain. Also spend lots of time cleaning the underside between every few other oil changes.
I’m jealous how clean you have that truck! I had mine that clean years ago before all the other projects and family came into play! That’s even after I rarely get caught in crappy weather too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had two 4x4 pans and dented both, my built trans came with a B&M pan so running that now. The stock filter needs some support brackets added so the filter doesn't fall off and starves the pump.

View attachment 538715
Looks real nice and clean. FYI I just noticed it looks like your missing a bolt on that thing at the back, torsion bar bracket I think.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If It was me and those pans were a issue for you. I'd just run the stock pan and upgrade to the superduty trans cooler instead of a new pan. This will help control heat for the trans also instead of just adding more trans fluid. Even better do both if you can, bigger pan and better cooler.
Thank you TP, this sounds like a great way to go instead of worrying about bottoming out. Thank you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts