Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im in the middle of rebuilding my 5.4 lightning engine and i was wondering if you should deck the block but if you deck it and so much comes off wont that mess with the length of the timing chains making them longer please let me know the answer...

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
so im in the middle of rebuilding my 5.4 lightning engine and i was wondering if you should deck the block but if you deck it and so much comes off wont that mess with the length of the timing chains making them longer please let me know the answer...

That's a double edge sword....you want to take minimum cut for the reasons of correcting surface finish and the flatness will happen with it. But the person doing the work has got to know this and not hack it up....in other words you can pay good money for some machine work and end up in worse shape that when you started....you don't want that.

Personally I would get a big Norton India stone and make sure it is clean and rub that over the decks. Do not use one of those scuzz busters on a air grinder either....all they do is dig holes.

Surface finish is your first priority and if you happen to take .005 in the process then it will let the cams retard a little but you will never notice that.

What I said above only applies to iron blocks....you shouldn't touch an aluminum block.

·
Snail Powered
7,830 Posts
That's a double edge sword....you want to take minimum cut for the reasons of correcting surface finish and the flatness will happen with it. But the person doing the work has got to know this and not hack it up....in other words you can pay good money for some machine work and end up in worse shape that when you started....you don't want that.

Personally I would get a big Norton India stone and make sure it is clean and rub that over the decks. Do not use one of those scuzz busters on a air grinder either....all they do is dig holes.

Surface finish is your first priority and if you happen to take .005 in the process then it will let the cams retard a little but you will never notice that.

What I said above only applies to iron blocks....you shouldn't touch an aluminum block.
never heard of the norton india stone trick, what is the exact purpose of that and is it pretty much the same thing as stone used for knife sharpening?

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
never heard of the norton india stone trick, what is the exact purpose of that and is it pretty much the same thing as stone used for knife sharpening?
Yes same thing....it's an orange colored somewhat soft stone. We have them on every bench at work and they are used for heavier deburring. If I just want to check and see if there is a burr...I'll use a Ruby (man made red hard stone) then depending on how bad it is I will remove it with an india.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so what if i dont deck it ... i have had bad luck with machine shops all over where i live.... plus i have one sleve and the shop said they leave it up half of a thousandth to put pressure on it with the head? im stuck between one macine shops words and another. i have the Ford racing 4 layer headgaskets so will it be ok or not so much

·
Fat Bastad
2,756 Posts
I would the hydraulic tensioners would take up the tiny bit of slack of the timing chain. A thicker head gasket could be utilized if needed as well...if there is such a thing for these motors...I don't honesly know.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
The smoother the surface on you block deck and your heads are, the less chance you are going to have of blowing a head gasket...They just need to take enough off to make the surface flat and smooth...It can be made up with different thicknesses of head gaskets, but for most 5.4 modular pistons they are approx. .120 down the hole, so you won't end up with a valve to piston clearance problem.

·
Flyin HI
31,040 Posts
Just buy a new block or a built SB and be done with it. Peace of mind, save time, and maybe money.

·
Snail Powered
7,830 Posts
Yes same thing....it's an orange colored somewhat soft stone. We have them on every bench at work and they are used for heavier deburring. If I just want to check and see if there is a burr...I'll use a Ruby (man made red hard stone) then depending on how bad it is I will remove it with an india.
so it basically just get any contaminants and and such from the surface getting down to the original finish? might be good to get one and keep it on hand. i would assume since you said not to use it on an aluminum block that i wouldn't want to use it on the heads at all.

I would the hydraulic tensioners would take up the tiny bit of slack of the timing chain.
yes but the chains would still be retarded slightly to the slightly lower deck height.

·
Ford Certified Technician
5,194 Posts
whats wrong with the block? rusty or something?
I would only deck it if it was last resort

·
Pardon me while I burst into flames
898 Posts
whats wrong with the block? rusty or something?
I would only deck it if it was last resort
This. If the block isn't warped/rusted, you shouldn't need to deck it, unless you want to increase compression. Also, emory cloth works good at removing minor burrs and surface rust.

Dave

·
898 Posts
so what if i dont deck it ... i have had bad luck with machine shops all over where i live.... plus i have one sleve and the shop said they leave it up half of a thousandth to put pressure on it with the head? im stuck between one macine shops words and another. i have the Ford racing 4 layer headgaskets so will it be ok or not so much
You had to sleeve a cylinder? If so, then yes the block has to decked. The sleeve would be up regardless on the head/pressure idea their telling you. The block is bored and a lip is left near the bottom of the bore. Sleeve is press fitted in and it sticks out on the deck surface. With the piston driving down the cylinder, you wouldn't just want the press fit holding that sleeve in the bore!

Why did the cylinder need a sleeve?

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
so it basically just get any contaminants and and such from the surface getting down to the original finish? might be good to get one and keep it on hand. i would assume since you said not to use it on an aluminum block that i wouldn't want to use it on the heads at all.

yes but the chains would still be retarded slightly to the slightly lower deck height.
Here's what I'm talking about .... http://www.cutleryandmore.com/norton/india-combination-oil-stone-p13564

The one pictured is a combination stone but like you said its great to have in the tool box to remove contaminants or whatever....the stock MLS head gaskets have a coating on them that is very thin and sometimes sticks to the decks....a stone job would clean that up.

The reason I mentioned not an aluminum block is because the older non sprayed bores have the sleeves standing proud from the deck a small amount and they should be left that way for gasket sealing. An india stone would do some damage there.

·
898 Posts
Here's what I'm talking about .... http://www.cutleryandmore.com/norton/india-combination-oil-stone-p13564

The one pictured is a combination stone but like you said its great to have in the tool box to remove contaminants or whatever....the stock MLS head gaskets have a coating on them that is very thin and sometimes sticks to the decks....a stone job would clean that up.

The reason I mentioned not an aluminum block is because the older non sprayed bores have the sleeves standing proud from the deck a small amount and they should be left that way for gasket sealing. An india stone would do some damage there.

Is this stone comparable to emery cloth?

Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You had to sleeve a cylinder? If so, then yes the block has to decked. The sleeve would be up regardless on the head/pressure idea their telling you. The block is bored and a lip is left near the bottom of the bore. Sleeve is press fitted in and it sticks out on the deck surface. With the piston driving down the cylinder, you wouldn't just want the press fit holding that sleeve in the bore!

Why did the cylinder need a sleeve?

Dave
the guy who built my engine before did a crappy job and i believe the ring was gapped wrong and bored the clynder out .031 over with a .020 over piston but everything else cleared .030 except one so with money invested just kept the block i had. plut 4130 piston rings never seated after 2 years about 10000 miles the crosshatch was still there truck pushed out 1 quart of oil per tank

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.