Lightning Rodder banner
21 - 40 of 262 Posts
Here’s a few with and without the plastic trim. Could weld the holes up and smooth if need be. And always use double sided tape to install them later. Or leave them as is.

Attachments

Flipped it over and scratched my head for a bit on how to get rid of the big gap from removing the brace.. was an eye sore so I’ll probably put the brace back:grin2:. It isn’t going to make much if any difference as far as heat extraction. And IMO looks cleaner without giant gap.
Please keep in mind I haven’t cleaned up any edges ect.

Attachments

Reactions: cbxer55
Discussion starter · #23 ·
Yeah Ken, that'll work for me just fine. Otherwise, just find something flat and cover up the hole in the area where the gap is, that would work as well. But your solution is the simplest for sure. Don't think any structural integrity is lost here. Like you said, they aren't the prettiest things on the bottom side, but they're alright. Not Fugly by any means..

Sorry, don't like it without the inserts, looks like something's missing. The inserts, even though fake, have the appearance of an opening. Otherwise, it's just a depression in the hood without even a semblance of purpose.

As said, I've seen a truck or three with this hood, one a white Lightning. I like it as is, and the vents will make it even better. So hopefully those vents that are coming your way fit like they belong there. Plan on keeping them on the hood.

I'm really liking those vents, they're sharp looking. They're going to make the whole thing look really nice on a white Lightning.

Reactions: Capt.EKB
I could make the filler plate and weld it in. But in my opinion it’s sort of abstract with the brace incomplete.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Looks fine with the piece welded on, not a problem. It'll be fine that way. :bigtu

Doin a bang-up job man! Can't wait to see it finished. And on my truck.

I wouldn't worry too much about the opening around the rest of the things. Unless you're just planning on filling is in with some glop prior to painting. Otherwise, I don't think it looks all that bad even with the opening. I could live with it no complaints.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
That looks pretty awesome. Someone's gonna have more surface area to keep clean and waxed. ;)

These came in today..
Should have the edges cleaned up and welding done this weekend. Then I can strip that tired red paint off and smooth out any dings or imperfections. Prime it and paint it.
Then smack it on the ass and send it home :cheers

Attachments

Discussion starter · #29 ·
It was Wednesday they were ordered, same day I started the thread. My bad, thought it was yesterday. They look much better than the other ones.

It was Wednesday they were ordered, same day I started the thread. My bad, thought it was yesterday. They look much better than the other ones.
The tiny screens I think id leave black or paint charcoal. The rest YZ white.

These pieces from Summit actually fit really well. The gaps are so tight that once there white they would appear to be seamless. The existing ones were warped from sun damage.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Much better, glad to see it. I was wondering about the bolt holes and whether they would be the same, or not. Answered. Makes me wonder if the hood itself isn't a KeyParts hood. They no longer make them for our year trucks, but they may have in the past. Or maybe, all Cobra inlets are exactly the same, no matter the brand. Anyhow, nice to know they're replaceable.

Much better, glad to see it. I was wondering about the bolt holes and whether they would be the same, or not. Answered. Makes me wonder if the hood itself isn't a KeyParts hood. They no longer make them for our year trucks, but they may have in the past. Or maybe, all Cobra inlets are exactly the same, no matter the brand. Anyhow, nice to know they're replaceable.
Sir,
The thing I like best about this project, and there are lots to like, is you giving Kenny a free hand. He is a proven commodity, and IMHO, you will be well rewarded for your trust. When Kenny and I were discussing painting "The Ford" he said something I will never forget, "I will treat it like it was my own". That is the care you are receiving sir. Clearly, this is an example of the meaning "Brotherhood". I applude you both in this project !!

Now, Kenny, you are going to weld the underhood braces back in place? Difficult without warping hood? What if it was an aluminum hood?

Keith

Sir,

Now, Kenny, you are going to weld the underhood braces back in place? Difficult without warping hood? What if it was an aluminum hood?

Thanks for the kind words Keith.
The “braces” don’t contact the upper panel. So no worries about warping the skin. If it were aluminum I would use the aluminum welder.:smt023 I’m about done welding these in so I should have pics today.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
That red paint sure is tired and fugly. I'll be glad to see that gone. It'll look better in primer than that crap.

Ken and I have traded God knows how many text messages about this hood. And many other subjects, like for instance, how many different Captain names we can come up with. I like Captain Hector Barbossa the best though. ;)

That red paint sure is tired and fugly. I'll be glad to see that gone. It'll look better in primer than that crap.

Ken and I have traded God knows how many text messages about this hood. And many other subjects, like for instance, how many different Captain names we can come up with. I like Captain Hector Barbossa the best though. ;)
Definitely running out of Captains.
Capt.KGB
Capt. Hook
Capt. Morgan
Capt. Kirk,kangaroo, ect..
Keith once suggested Capt. SOB..[smilie=om but I have never went that far.

A few of the tools I used up to this point.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #39 · (Edited)
Capt.KGB
Capt. Hook
Capt. Morgan
Keith once suggested Capt. SOB..[smilie=om but I have never went that far.[/quote]

Captain Blye
Captain Blackbeard
Captain Crunch
Captain Jack Sparrow
Captain Morgan

Capt.KGB
Capt. Hook
Capt. Morgan
Keith once suggested Capt. SOB..[smilie=om but I have never went that far.[/quote]

Gentlemen,
Because I have lived a life of "questionable legality" , some have stated I had 10lb brass cajones. So here's one for ya: Capt. Clank >:)

Keith

21 - 40 of 262 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.