Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Custom hood with carbon fiber heat vents, by Ken.

As many of you know, Ken (Leeproctor83) is working on a hood for my truck. It's basically a restoration of a badly sun damaged Cobra style hood. With the addition of some functional vents on the sides, also of Mustang origin. There have been some pics posted in the cowl hood thread in the Gen. II section. They will likely be duplicated here. This thread will show from the beginning, a picture of the truck the hood came from, Pilgrims Progress non Lightning F-150.

Attachments

·
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
local painter
3,196 Posts
That’s pilgrimsprogress truck ^
I gave him one of my OE aluminum hoods in exchange for his existing cobra hood.
Robert was interested in it so I gave it to him.
It needs to be YZ white. But looked like someone walked across it. Had several large soft dents. I had the PDR ( paintless dent repair) man fix them. He’s amazing. Saved me a ton of work.
Robert decided he needs these carbon fiber hood vents.
Once I Had them in my hands was able to start metal work.
I’ve got the holes cut. And the vents fitted. Now I’ll turn it over and figure out what to do so that the bottom looks like it was born that way..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Gentlemen,
I'm glad ya'll opened this thread. I don't have the skills and talents Kenny has, but do enjoy seeing how things are done. Aesthetics are just as important to the enthusiast as performance and seeing this done step-by-step will be great. Ya'll already know I will be watching with lots of questions !

Keith

·
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted those vents just to make it different, not just any old Cobra style hood. Depending on what Kenny does to the bottom, I'll be figuring out how to make removable plugs for those days the forecasters get it wrong. It happens here, without warning. Hot day, no chance of rain. Then clouds appear, move through with great rapidity, and dump a ton of rain. Then leave 30 minutes lated, and it's so humid you can cut it with a knife. I'll figure something out regardless. Kenny said these vents will flood the engine compartment if it's raining. Can't have that.

Truck hasn't seen rain in four years though. Now that my 98 Ranger has a new front suspension, doesn't sound like Mr. Ed every time I drive it, and isn't embarassing to drive, the Lightning is less likely to see rain. ;)

·
local painter
3,196 Posts
Curiosity got the best of me so I sat them on my cervinis hood to see what they look like on YZ white.

Attachments

·
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sharp jagged protrusion on the right side of the circular reinforcement could be trimmed away with a rotary file to clean that area up. Possibly trim away some material on the other side in the area where the vents stick down. That reinforcement is not doing much reinforcement anymore. LOL. But, the stiffness of the vents themselves will be a positive. From what I can see on the computer, it looks like they follow the contours of the hood pretty nicely.

·
local painter
3,196 Posts
That sharp jagged protrusion on the right side of the circular reinforcement could be trimmed away with a rotary file to clean that area up. Possibly trim away some material on the other side in the area where the vents stick down. That reinforcement is not doing much reinforcement anymore. LOL. But, the stiffness of the vents themselves will be a positive. From what I can see on the computer, it looks like they follow the contours of the hood pretty nicely.
I was worried that cutting the giant brace would make the top panel floppy. But it’s still very rigid. Structural integrity remains very much in tact. But still plan on doing something there.

Reactions: cbxer55

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Sir,
Ok, since we are on the underside at this point, does the underside require different prep or paint due to the heat?

Keith

·
local painter
3,196 Posts
Sir,
Ok, since we are on the underside at this point, does the underside require different prep or paint due to the heat?

Keith
It can be painted and clear coated like the outer body or I can use Under Hood paint. It doesn’t get as hot as an engine block or brake calipers ect. :smt023

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,561 Posts
I dislike that hood, I don't think it compliments anything on the truck...

·
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one and they all STINK! :hifu Mine most of all! ;)

And yet you LIKED my opening post. Hmmmm?????????

Reactions: stoffer

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,561 Posts
Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one and they all STINK! :hifu ;)
now maybe if y'all filled in the snorkle indentions, it might change my mind

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,561 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Coming along nicely!!!! Those panels are bonded together I don't believe that cutting out that size piece is going to weaken the structure any. And as you said once the insert is properly bonded and mechanically attached it will be as strong as it was. Looks like it was a well built piece to start with!!!!

·
local painter
3,196 Posts
Coming along nicely!!!! Those panels are bonded together I don't believe that cutting out that size piece is going to weaken the structure any. And as you said once the insert is properly bonded and mechanically attached it will be as strong as it was. Looks like it was a well built piece to start with!!!!

They bonded the brakes off of it. I actually have the same type of stuff they used. Was thinking it would fill the gaps nicely. And look like the other original adhesive foam that’s currently protruding from other areas of the under structure. I’ll get pics later. :smt023

·
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
now maybe if y'all filled in the snorkle indentions, it might change my mind
It's a steel hood. Filling them in would likely involve a lot of bondo, which would eventually crackout due to differing expansion rates when hot. Don't know that it's an acceptable alternative. Ken is planning on removing the inserts tonight, and post some pics so I can see what it looks like sans the inserts. He says he's seen numerous vehicles with this style hood without the inserts. ALthough I mostly think that's due to them getting heat damaged, and the owners not knowingthey're easily replaceable. I don't mind them myself. Just so long as they're replaced and the heat damaged ones shitcanned.

I've seen a truck or two in my neck-of-the-woods, one a white Lightning. I think it looks good enough for me to use. The vents on the side will make mine different than theirs.

·
Administrator
18,509 Posts
I had that hood on an '03 I bought for a DD. I hated that hood myself. I expected to change it out. It was dam heavy and I did not really care for the lines on the Lightning. But my Nephew loved that hood. So it stayed...

Jim

·
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I don't know what the stock hood weighs, but Ken tells me he moves this one around, flips it, etc, by himself. Tells me it's probably somewhere between 30 and 40 pounds. If the stock one is in the mid 20's somewhere, I don't care about that little of a gain. I am not racing this truck, so the weight means nothing.

I know some here can't bare the thought of someone owning a Lightning, and nnot building it to the hilt and thrashing it every weekend at the strip. But I don't, and won't. I just enjoy driving it at the performance level it's currently at. Don't want or need any more. Hell, I enjoy thrashing my old 98 V-6 Ranger on a curvy road, more than I do the Lightning on the same road. Smaller, narrower, much lighter and outfitted with Hellwig bars front and rear. I was out there the other day, trying it after playing with the alignment a bit. There was a Mustang trying to get around me. I wouldn't let him. He was probably pissed he couldn't pass a damn Ranger. ;)

·
local painter
3,196 Posts
There’s likely actual weight numbers floating around here somewhere. Just by feel I can say the stock aluminum hood is roughly 1/3 the weight of the steel hoods.

1 - 20 of 261 Posts