Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
George\/
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont suppose that anyone has this tool to hold the motor at TDC when setting up the timing chains that they would lend to me for a week or so. i really hate to buy one and only use it once. or if anybody knows a way i can set it and be sure that it is on target would be great
thanks in advance guys and girls
Mike

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have a crank wrench that I could lend you I live in Bridgeport, Mi.

However, if you put the crank at 12 O'clock and your cams at passenger side 11 O'clock and drivers side 1 O'clock you should be all set. I usualy do the chains one at a time, once you release the first tensioner it will hold the crank in place. Then you do the other side.

Let me know, you pay for shipping and I'll send it. It probably weigh's about 3 lb cuz it has a breaker bar welded to it.

Suavy

·
George\/
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i do know how to set up the cams to the crank but i just want to make sure i put the crank in the right place ( superfords post do come in handy and also the how to on this site. thanks guys!)
now is the keyway going to be at 12 or the dimple on the crank timing gear
hell if you or someone has a pic that would work just as well
if not thats cool, and i do appreciate the offer for the tool. i may have to take you up on it and ill let you know by tomorrow
thank you very much

·
Registered
734 Posts
The crank key is at 12 O'clock
The notch on the crank gear should be at about 7 O'clock. both front and back copper links set to that notch. The double copper links set on both sides of the cam dimple up top.

Send me an e-mail through this board and I can fax you the set up sheet or try to e-mail it to you. Or you can shoot me you phone No. and I could talk you through the set up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hey Suavy,

Could you put me on the list for that info as well?

Mike and I are playing Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dumb (I'll be a gentleman, Mike, and let you pick which one you want to be [smilie=fingersx.gif]) on all the boards with our twin build-ups. I'm getting my heads this weekend, so I'll be needed a bit of guidance on this same issue real soon. I plan to degree the cams to verify the base circle and the cam specs.

you can email me at herbs @ satx.rr.com or catch me on my cell at 210-287-4020 (so can you Mike :smt039)

Thanks guys,
Herb

·
Registered
734 Posts
herb101 said:
Hey Suavy,

Could you put me on the list for that info as well?

Mike and I are playing Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dumb (I'll be a gentleman, Mike, and let you pick which one you want to be [smilie=fingersx.gif]) on all the boards with our twin build-ups.  I'm getting my heads this weekend, so I'll be needed a bit of guidance on this same issue real soon.  I plan to degree the cams to verify the base circle and the cam specs.

you can email me at herbs @ satx.rr.com or catch me on my cell at 210-287-4020 (so can you Mike :smt039)

Thanks guys,
Herb
Herb, I'm at work and can't call out long distance. Call me at (586) 752-8167 I'll be here until 2 am tonight. I have a line up meeting at 11pm eastern time for 30 min.
So if I'm not in my office call back in 30 min.

Suavy

·
George\/
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ill be Dee, but you knew i would say that :D
ok lets see my e-mail is
[email protected]
and my cell is 401-374-8605
Suavy i really appreciate your help as i too will be getting my heads thursday of friday and the build will happen this weekend
herb i think i might take your number too just incase i run into something and i am ahead of you or you ahead of me either way i am sure we can help each other. i must say now you got me thinking of degreeing the cams, i am pretty sure one tooth is 8* but i wouldnt know what way to go
again Suavy thankyou

·
Registered
734 Posts
lightninmike said:
ill be Dee, but you knew i would say that :D
ok lets see my e-mail is
[email protected]
and my cell is 401-374-8605
Suavy i really appreciate your help as i too will be getting my heads thursday of friday and the build will happen this weekend
herb  i think i might take your number too just incase i run into something and i am ahead of you or you ahead of me either way i am sure we can help each other. i must say now you got me thinking of degreeing the cams, i am pretty sure one tooth is 8* but i wouldnt know what way to go
again Suavy thankyou
I can talk both of you through the ste up over the cell phone. However, I know nothing about degreeing them.

·
George\/
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just a couple of teeth on the gears shouldnt kill anything [smilie=eek4.gif]
but really i appreciate your help, ill give you a call on friday if you dont want the long distance call
you know that way its fresh in my mind and i dont funk it up

·
Registered
734 Posts
lightninmike said:
just a couple of teeth on the gears shouldnt kill anything [smilie=eek4.gif]
but really i appreciate your help, ill give you a call on friday if you dont want the long distance call
you know that way its fresh in my mind and i dont funk it up
No problem but the degreeing thing scares me cuz our pistons come real close to the top of the block.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hey Guys,

Suavy Thanks for much for your willingness to help. Rather than bother you now, forgetting some crucial element, then bothering you again when I've got my parts, I'll look everything over and formulate some questions so as to not waste too much time for you.

Mike - No problem on contacting me. I'm in CST zone, btw. Don't woory able being Dee - I've been Dumb before!!

I too have hears the 8 degrees per tooth. I have read horror stories on ModularFords about some cam manufacturers grinding 5 degree of advance into their cam profiles and the machining consistancy being problematic with OEM cam sprockets. There is reported to be several degrees of variation among several cam gears checked. (Sounds a bit like operatot error, covered by excuses). I want to degree it for safety sake, due to the fact that these are interference motors and piston/valve contact is a possible reality. There is no easy way to alter things if there are off by other than exactly 1 tooth. I have read of people having a second keyway cut and reclocking the gear or widening the existing keyway and shimming one direction or the other with feeler gauge shim stock. Some judicious calculations could tell you how much is needed where.

Herb

·
George\/
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Suavy said:
No problem but the degreeing thing scares me cuz our pistons come real close to the top of the block.
yeah thats no big deal so no worries, i had just seen new cam gears with different locations for the keyway to mess with the timing
but i think i will stick with factory ford, cause if it works why fix it. well unless there is a hole in it :D

·
Registered
734 Posts
I just talked to my repair bay friends they tell me that they will loan me a crank tool that dosen't have the breaker bar handle on it. It's just a big socket.

I'm gonn a borrow it when you all are ready. I send it to who ever then you use it and send it to the next person. He has two so he said I could hang on to it for a while.

Let me know.

I have other specialty type tools also. I don't mind let responsible people borrow them.

Suavy

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks as always Suavy,

You're the best!!

I think Mike will be having the need first - I've got a fraud slow-down potential on the head studs I "bought". I'll try to get that worked out and my heads in hand this weekend. At that point I have to order and recieve head studs before I'll be ready. Thanks for the offer - I'll let you know when I closer to using it!

Herb

·
Registered
734 Posts
herb101 said:
Thanks as always Suavy,

You're the best!!

I think Mike will be having the need first - I've got a fraud slow-down potential on the head studs I "bought".  I'll try to get that worked out and my heads in hand this weekend.  At that point I have to order and recieve head studs before I'll be ready.  Thanks for the offer - I'll let you know when I closer to using it!

Herb
OK Herb, just say the word and I'll ship it out. You and Mike work it out on who needs to use it first and I'll ship it out by Monday.

E-mail me the address where it needs to go!

Suavy

·
George\/
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank you once again Suavy
i hope ill need it first (damn heads better get here) if it is really nessary, or i will try to bring to tdc on my own (looks fairly easy
ill e-mail you once i get the heads in
thank you
Mike

·
Registered
734 Posts
lightninmike said:
thank you once again Suavy
i hope ill need it first (damn heads better get here) if it is really nessary, or i will try to bring to tdc on my own (looks fairly easy
ill e-mail you once i get the heads in
thank you
Mike
Do you have the service CD? If not I can send that also has step by step and drawings, as well as torque spec and seqance.

Suavy

·
George\/
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no i dont, never could find out where to get them and i heard the dealer charged body parts for them

·
Registered
734 Posts
Like I said, you all have a friend in the plant!

I'll send you what you need with the crank tool.

Peace,

Suavy

·
George\/
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you are more than the man! you are the best!!!
thank you once again, i know it sounds redundent but with just the info you are the best
side note: replace the flex plate bolts??? i say yes but if i can reuse them i will

1 - 20 of 23 Posts