Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm new to this forum, i'm currently building a motor for my truck. Using the stock block and crank, gt500 rods, probe srs forged pistons. I've had the block checked and machined .020 over. I'm going to start to fit the rings tonight. I was considering having the crank balanced, i called the machine shop and they told me $300, i called two other local shops and they wanted more. Do you guys think its really required?

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Balancing near my shop costs $150... Call around more.

Yes, it IS required

By changing rods, pistons, etc you are changing the bob weight. Your crank will destroy itself and hammer at the main bearings. Harmonics are a bad thing...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Called around, didn't get any cheaper, dropped it off at a reputable shop, hopefully he doesnt need to add weight, he said that would get expensive if he does, but i havnt heard of anyone else needing to do that

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
The GT500 rods are powder forged, in my opinion a set of forged rods would have been a better choice. Like said, balancing is absolutely mandatory.

·
RWHP ADDICT
600 Posts
Definitely balance your rotating assembly, its the same as not balancing a tire and expecting a smooth ride.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree a set of aftermarket forged rods are better. The gt500 rods will support my goals though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts