Lightning Rodder banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
motor replacement

If I was going to be crazy, I'd stick in a bored and stroked 460 for a 610 cu/in. Then use a Hampton 10:71 blower. Turn it for 14 PSI and no intercooler needed as it turns slow and heats the air way less than a speeded up whipple. You can get rid of all that cooling system too. (Pump, radiator , surge tank and hoses.) saving maybe 15 Lbs. If you needed a little more kick, use a dry shot of nitrous into the intake on top of the blower. Run injectors in the factory place. Downside? You need to remove the blower to change plugs.

I built one for a ski boat. It was scary.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Greetings from Arizona

What a beautiful truck!

Yes, if I had a SOHC 427, I would put it and a 10/71 blower in no matter what anyone said.

But, I am doing the flip/flop. Coyote or GT500. (The late 5.8 version)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
VVT history

Way back in the old days of drag racing when the motors were still in the front, there was a low budget driver named Pete Robinson. Actually his full name was "Sneaky" Pete Robinson.

Yes Pete was an innovator, what they now a days call a cheater. He was always in the last, fast 5 group at all the top fuel races. Early on he made a timing gear set up that was adjustable under power. On his first run, he took off like greased lightning and at the big end he pulled a lever and at 200 MPH the front wheels came off the ground. Of coarse it was immediately banned.

His last car ran a big Ford 427 SOHC motor, Blower, nitro and all the goodies. But he needed to go faster. His best trick was a vacuum chamber under the front of the motor under the frame. So he could apply more power as the speed increased, the vacuum increased and he increased the throttle more and more until the down force broke the front axle. The car broke up and we lost a funny little guy that always wore tennis shoes, even with a tux. We lost quite a few back in those days.

But he was the first to recognize that variable valve timing was the secret to more power.

Anyone interested can read a good article on his life. https://www.hotrod.com/articles/the-legend-of-sneaky-pete-robinson/

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
2,989 Posts
I'm surprised that I've not seen any more updates on here about Coyote swaps. I know of a truck that is swapped and doing a twin turbo set up as well as some other modifications to the chassis.
Interested in seeing if anyone else has done it in a Gen 2 Lightning and what all was involved.

My truck is now at 93k miles on the original motor and transmission so I am starting to look into either building what I have or possibly doing a swap.

·
Administrator
18,470 Posts
New technology is exciting. But if I was to swap engines it would be to an aluminum big block.

Jim

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
2,989 Posts
New technology is exciting. But if I was to swap engines it would be to an aluminum big block.

Jim

Agreed. Just looking for a replacement for a street truck application more than a track warrior like yours Jim.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm surprised that I've not seen any more updates on here about Coyote swaps. I know of a truck that is swapped and doing a twin turbo set up as well as some other modifications to the chassis.
Interested in seeing if anyone else has done it in a Gen 2 Lightning and what all was involved.

My truck is now at 93k miles on the original motor and transmission so I am starting to look into either building what I have or possibly doing a swap.
I agree, Coyote swapped Gen 1’s are getting more common. Seems like it would be natural progression on Gen 2s.

·
Registered
798 Posts
If i ever do a dif motor swap it wld be to the new 7.3 gas motor ford is offering. Looks promising for sure.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I agree the new 7.3L has a lot of potential. With a 4.22" bore it will have the ability to flow many atmospheres if the aftermarket will support it. Still it's a fairly large/heavy iron block motor. It's a BB with a large displacement BB sized bore and nearly a 4" stroke. In its N/A state it's probably less weight than a L's OEM longblock though. Also I've read that if you can fit a Coyote in a chassis then fitting Godzilla in the same chassis is no problem.

I do like the LS swap idea though. I used to hate swapping Chebby engines in Furds, but the introduction of V6 Ecogay motors as V8 replacements in F150's changed all that for me. In fact that changed my life-long Ford brand loyalty over to a bias towards GM. I will say a well built GEN4 LS isn't as cheap as people make them out to be. But a well built GEN4 SBC is a thing of beauty, even though they are kind of ugly engines. A built/boosted 416ci LS3 based engine in a L would be badass as hell. Compared to a Modular it would be lightweight, compact in the engine compartment and positioned lower and farther back in the chassis. Plus the aftermarket for GEN4 LS is huge.

GEN5 LT based SBC is even better than the GEN4 engines other than maybe LS7, but it would be a lot harder and more costly to swap as they are DI engines with a lot more computer operated crap to have to get thru, and you'd want to delete the AFM system in them. Still GEN5 SBC is excellent, and very underappreciated.

Also let me add that the Boss 6.2L should be Fords best performance motor, but they were too dumb not to develop it. In its current state it leaves much to be desired, but if Ford turned it into an all-aluminum, DOHC motor it would of stomped the shit out of its competition. You think a Coyote flows well with a sub-3.7" bore, just imagine how well a 4V 6.2L would flow with a 4.03" bore. Look at how much better a 6.2L SBC flows with its 4.065" bore compared to a 5.3L with its 3.78" bore. That was always the main issue with the Modulars. Small bores = small valves = small flow #'s. If you think 4V heads flow well on a small bore motor what do you think a 4V head made to optimize a large bore diameter would flow like?

61 - 76 of 76 Posts