Lightning Rodder banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,545 Posts
Well, my motor is coming out this week. Depending on how much the damage is, I will be looking Coyote.
Iffin I do, I will make sure to take lots of pics.
feller on nloc did one N/A and it was disappointing

so they tried a 6.2 [smilie=om

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Coyote

It goes without saying that going from a boosted 5.4 to an N/A Coyote would be a disappointment....

:frown2:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
why would we want to slow down??
I dont beleive you would slow down. Go faster for cheaper...but I'm saying the LS engine in what an LS engine comes in. Dont thinknid swap my stuff over. I'd leave that for a foxbody..they work well with an LS from what I see

·
Registered
521 Posts
Coyote swap

I recently installed a crate package Coyote in my 68 F-100 using a CV front clip.
I had to purchase a kit from Horsepower by the Hour to mount the power steering pump for around $900.00. I understand that there are some other kits available. Then I had to buy a new Mustang alternator that mounts in reverse from Ford for $175.00 plus a $75.00 core charge. I lucked out on the Coyote kit and was able to not have to pay sales tax. I am not able to give any other specific $ figures as it came out to around $15k and I performed all the labor. It took me about 18 months because my garage only has 2 temperatures, 40* or 95*.
I had a 99 stock Lightning and from a seat of the pants feeling the Lightning was much quicker from standing still. The 5.0 has a stock rebuilt 4R70W a stock converter with a US Shift controller, the 68 has a 3.50/ Detroit locker. From a standstill the 68 really comes to life in about 50 feet and starts to scream, since it does not have the bottom torque of the 5.4. Then the only louder scream comes from the wife! An automatic with lower gears and a higher stall converter would help along with a power adder.
When the 68 had a 460/ C6 it weighed 4100 lbs. I have not weighed it yet with the 5.0.
I hope this can give some insite to anyone wanting to install a 5.0 in. Lightning.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Pics

I recently installed a crate package Coyote in my 68 F-100 using a CV front clip.
I had to purchase a kit from Horsepower by the Hour to mount the power steering pump for around $900.00. I understand that there are some other kits available. Then I had to buy a new Mustang alternator that mounts in reverse from Ford for $175.00 plus a $75.00 core charge. I lucked out on the Coyote kit and was able to not have to pay sales tax. I am not able to give any other specific $ figures as it came out to around $15k and I performed all the labor. It took me about 18 months because my garage only has 2 temperatures, 40* or 95*.
I had a 99 stock Lightning and from a seat of the pants feeling the Lightning was much quicker from standing still. The 5.0 has a stock rebuilt 4R70W a stock converter with a US Shift controller, the 68 has a 3.50/ Detroit locker. From a standstill the 68 really comes to life in about 50 feet and starts to scream, since it does not have the bottom torque of the 5.4. Then the only louder scream comes from the wife! An automatic with lower gears and a higher stall converter would help along with a power adder.
When the 68 had a 460/ C6 it weighed 4100 lbs. I have not weighed it yet with the 5.0.
I hope this can give some insite to anyone wanting to install a 5.0 in. Lightning.

Some pics of the truck would be nice.

·
Tipton Co. Garbage Truck
1,521 Posts
A $400 LS based engine is still a 150000 mile old take out and I wouldn't put head gaskets cam and turbo on a un proven engine with that many miles without a complete rebuild. Then you have a turbo 350 or 400 trans to buy and rebuild and have a driveshaft built and all new computer system like the Holly efi with with there dash that's another $4000. where is the savings please help me to understand.
they saw it on the internet. got to be true.

·
Tipton Co. Garbage Truck
1,521 Posts
I dont beleive you would slow down. Go faster for cheaper...but I'm saying the LS engine in what an LS engine comes in. Dont thinknid swap my stuff over. I'd leave that for a foxbody..they work well with an LS from what I see
so does a 351W

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah I don’t care what a person does with “their” car brand loyalist be damned.

LS/LT’s pack a mighty punch for an engine physically so small. That’s simply the reason everyone loves them and the reason you to seem to see them in everything because they can damn near fit in anything with simple engine mounts. No custom fab work is needed greatly decreasing the amount of money needed to get it to work.

Ford absolutely hit a home run with coyote and 6R combo and then went ape shit with the Gen 3 coyote.

I’m positive a lot of people would love to swap over to those engines but physically they are massive and would take a lot of work to make fit killing it for the backyard guy doing this for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,469 Posts
For the money spent to swap anything currently available into my truck, I think I would be best off from a performance per dollar definition to go boosted/sprayed big block. Big inch Procharged big block ford with a little spray on top would be pretty easy to do if I was willing to scrap factory controls. My Ford GT block is worth almost enough to pull off the swap at this time. Prices for sleeved GT motors have gone crazy.

Jim

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
A transplanted Gen 2

Yes, some pics would be extra nice...(1968 F100 + Coyote!)

Stoffer started me thinking, and so a trip to EBAY found a 2011 TVS Supercharged 6.2 with 42,000 miles, PLUS: harnesses, front acc drive, PCM, everything to make it run for $7,500 USD. They are rated at 550HP as is. A set of pistons, rods, CNC port, cams, 14 Lbs boost and good street tune might be around 700+ HP, (And paint the baby too)

That looks more suitable than the $18,000 GT500 engine with 70,000 miles.
Or the $5,500 USD Coyote with 18,000 miles And then need a $8,500 Whipple kit.

I have a small property sale almost done. It might be my last time I can get that kind of funds.

I have already started removing the engine. No looking back now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, some pics would be extra nice...(1968 F100 + Coyote!)

Stoffer started me thinking, and so a trip to EBAY found a 2011 TVS Supercharged 6.2 with 42,000 miles, PLUS: harnesses, front acc drive, PCM, everything to make it run for $7,500 USD. They are rated at 550HP as is. A set of pistons, rods, CNC port, cams, 14 Lbs boost and good street tune might be around 700+ HP, (And paint the baby too)

That looks more suitable than the $18,000 GT500 engine with 70,000 miles.

Or the $5,500 USD Coyote with 18,000 miles And then need a $8,500 Whipple kit.

I have a small property sale almost done. It might be my last time I can get that kind of funds.

I have already started removing the engine. No looking back now.

The thing with the 6.2L is that both the TVS and Whipple work (I believe) off of a one belt system. Belt slip would be a an issue with a smaller pulley. Might want to look into this before making that jump

·
Registered
521 Posts
Coyote/ 68 F-100

These are a few of the project. I am currently adding rear disc brakes from Master power.

Attachments

·
Registered
746 Posts
Nice job.

These are a few of the project. I am currently adding rear disc brakes from Master power.

That looks like a really sweet ride. I think engine looks nice and tucked in the compartment. A couple videos of it running and in action would be great to see. Nice job, the stance of the truck is nice as well.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Coyote/68 F100

Thanks for the compliments.
I bought this truck new. The wife and I dated in it before and after I got out of the Navy.
I drove it to San Diego 9/68 and it rode aboard the U.S.S. Iwo Jima from there to Long Beach for a yard period. I drove it back 9/69 after the discharge.
It has had the original 360/3speed, a close and wide ratio 4 speed, a built 460 with C J parts,another 460, a C J 429,2 C6 automatics and the current set up. It gets the best gas mileage of any other engine it has had.
My goal was to have it back on the street for it’s 50 th birthday and I just made it. I am thinking about a re paint as it could use it. It has been painted 2 times already.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Well thank you for your service and thank you for the back story. It was nice to read and learn the history, not too many can have their original vehicle they purchased new and dated in. I like that you mentioned the fuel mileage and I'm not surprised, when I talk to people I truly don't think they can believe the performance and the fuel economy of the engines of the past 20 years compared to the 70's & 80's.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Greetings from Arizona

Of the people that bought their vehicle, kept it for a number of years and performed rebuilds or repowers, The great abundance are Fords. (And Ford trucks)

I bought my Lightning new, it is 20 years old.

My Dad bought a Red F250 in 1968. He died in 2004 and Mom gave it to my brother in law.(Sisters hubby) He died in 2014 and his son got it. He sold it in 2015 when he figured out the fuel mileage. HeHe,

Those had a wide front crossmember and that terrible "Twin I Beam" suspension. You solved it in a very neat way. Your installation is beautiful! Don't even price a Whipple for it, ($7,500-$11,000 depending on the options you choose) A single turbo makes a really good installation at 7 PSI. And fairly cheap.

Ya, the single belt drive might be an issue with a supercharged 6.2L, but Whipple has a 10 ribbed belt conversion listed in their catalog.

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,645 Posts
The thing with the 6.2L is that both the TVS and Whipple work (I believe) off of a one belt system. Belt slip would be a an issue with a smaller pulley. Might want to look into this before making that jump

I know of 2 folks that were going to go 6.2 in a L. JLP was one of them, and they eventually abandoned the project. Another guy was SpeedRacer or something along those lines on here. I think he followed all the way thru with it, but I never saw results. The down side of the 6.2 is it's still an antiquated style setup. It was in development before the coyotes, so it's all based on the same 4.6/5.4 architecture. It's a heavy azz iron block (even bigger/heavier lol), and it's SOHC still as well. Sure it has more displacement, but you're also still 2v & iron block/heavy. SUre those 2v can be bigger, but the aftermarket support is much more limited. The new coyote stuff with DOHC, aluminum block, and absurd level of aftermarket support, IMO that's the way to go.

Not to mention unless the 6.2 is built, it's really not worth it. Same trend of weak rods. Raptor guys throw blowers on and pop their motors at pretty low boost levels, and by the time you do rods and all that, you may as well go coyote with all the aftermarket support, stronger bottom end stock, etc.

Thanks for the compliments.
I bought this truck new. The wife and I dated in it before and after I got out of the Navy.
I drove it to San Diego 9/68 and it rode aboard the U.S.S. Iwo Jima from there to Long Beach for a yard period. I drove it back 9/69 after the discharge.
It has had the original 360/3speed, a close and wide ratio 4 speed, a built 460 with C J parts,another 460, a C J 429,2 C6 automatics and the current set up. It gets the best gas mileage of any other engine it has had.
My goal was to have it back on the street for it’s 50 th birthday and I just made it. I am thinking about a re paint as it could use it. It has been painted 2 times already.
That's an awesome story! And the truck actually rode the ship? That's pretty badazz! Lots of history in that truck!

Reactions: mizlplix

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Coyote VS GT500

The coyote swap has only one down side: If you go the belt/blower route, that set up (For the BEST Whipple)
is up around $9,000 USD.

Is a Coyote an iron-Plasma/bore block? If so, new piston rings and a hone job sound scary.
In any event, It needs good rods /pistons and a re-balance.

Who does CNC Heads? (Coyote) Thanks!

41 - 60 of 76 Posts