Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Static...Switches r 4 Bitches
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys so here's the deal.

When I purchased my truck it came with a JLP Comp R exhaust system (Headers to the tips 3") It sounds great!!!!

Here's the problem... I do live in florida and since their are no emissions I do not run cats. Now some people would say it's too loud for them, but I say it just doesnt have the right tone!

I use to own a Built 01 L with stage 2 cams. The main thing is it had JBA shorty headers with 2.5" piping to Magnaflow muffler... (No cats)

This truck absolutely sounded amazing... Not just at idle for you Cam Fanatics!

Why does my truck not have the loud deep tone that my older truck had?... I would think it would have a better tone and a WHOLE lot louder since it is 3"

Any advice? I was thinking of swapping the Comp R muffler out since it is like 2.5' long which might be why it is a little quieter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just put on a comp r set up on. I was checking out the comp muffler and it seems to have an x in side of it with a bunch of holes (to quite it down) I'm assuming your trying to get it louder so a muffler with no x in side will proble get what your looking for or go with two single mufflers next to each other.

Hope that helps

·
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm ya that is what I was thinking. However if I went with a single Magnaflow muffler 2in2out 3". I would hope it would give it a better tone!

Now with the 2 seperate mufflers, I'm afraid of it sounding like an outboard boat motor!

I just want this thing to rumble!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
What all is done to the engine on the new truck?

Cams make a difference on the exhaust tone, not just the idle lope.

I run a magna flow catback, no cats, stock manifolds on a bone stock motor and it's deep and rumbly at idle and loud as shit when I get on it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you have a comp r set up your 3'' all the way I would do a 2 in 2 out and keep it 3'' just find some one who makes a shorter muffler. The comp is a blow throw style maybe find one with some baffles like a flow master. Or look at a hooker areochamber

·
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have a comp r set up your 3'' all the way I would do a 2 in 2 out and keep it 3'' just find some one who makes a shorter muffler. The comp is a blow throw style maybe find one with some baffles like a flow master. Or look at a hooker areochamber
Def not going with FlowMaster.

What do you think I could expect with a 2in 2out 3" with no X inside of it?

On the other hand , What would you say 2 side by side mufflers would sound like?

·
The abandoner
3,532 Posts
correct

new setup will be collectors right to an x, or h (whatever i have room for) to two of those mufflers to tips...excited to hear it, but thats only half my excitement :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have a MagnaFlow like the one you lined from Summit but with the internal X, full 3" without cats. Sounds awesome, I love it. I get compliments all the time. I had a catted 2.5" setup with the Bassani cat back before the custom setup, sounded good but I was just never impressed with the quality of Bassani. I wouldn't get the DIDO muffler without the internal crossover, you have to balance the exhaust pulses from bank to bank.

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
12,024 Posts
I have obx long tubes with a 3" flange going into a comp r muffler. All 3".

It's very deep and very loud. Much deeper than when i had smaller piping and the bassani bx.

Maybe have a muffler shop build you some new mids and throw whatever combo you want from there on back. That way your comp r mids to tips are untouched.

My muffler guys said a magnaflow muffler would be quieter/better and they all thought i was nuts. But i wanted the comp r sound. I freakin love it! I do take ear plugs on drives over 45 min though.

·
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have obx long tubes with a 3" flange going into a comp r muffler. All 3".

It's very deep and very loud. Much deeper than when i had smaller piping and the bassani bx.

Maybe have a muffler shop build you some new mids and throw whatever combo you want from there on back. That way your comp r mids to tips are untouched.

My muffler guys said a magnaflow muffler would be quieter/better and they all thought i was nuts. But i wanted the comp r sound. I freakin love it! I do take ear plugs on drives over 45 min though.
I don't have mids/cats. Its Bassani Longtubes with 3" piping back to the Comp R muffler straight out the side. Don't get me wrong, When I smash the gas this thing will wake up anyone within a mile radius!

I guess I'm just anal! I have everyone tell me this truck is ridiculous loud. Maybe I'm just oblivious since I never hear it from any other perspective other than driver seat. [smilie=3g

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.