Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think for my next bolt on mod I am going to go with a new intake set up, despite the fact I like the look of the factory one. Which one should I consider? Doing a retune wouldn't be an issue, if need be.

·
No JuJu is Bad JuJu!!!!
529 Posts
Love my JLP fai. I run a c&l elbow but plan on getting the JLP elbow.

·
ruffnecks illegitimate brother
3,481 Posts
JLP because of the box. Anything else that just puts the filter in the engine bay is sucking hot air. The K&N is nice also comes with a shield too.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,786 Posts
A CAI by itself does not require a tune. Also if you just put a filter in the engine bay, you do not need a cold air box if you remove the cover over top the radiator. Remove this and the entire intake remains cool, all the way to the plenum. Also the snout remains cooler. Been doing this for several years. I drove 100+ miles down to Lawton one warm day, the entire intake system was just luke warm, the filter, MAF and elbow were cool.

Does not look pretty, but I am more for function than form anyhow.

·
Florida>Texas
10,629 Posts
JLT

·
Registered
101 Posts
Where'd you pick up your filter cover at? I have the LFP filter myself.

JLP's box looks pimp. I would've got that set up myself if I hadn't already bought the LFP cai.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,786 Posts
Where'd you pick up your filter cover at? I have the LFP filter myself.

JLP's box looks pimp. I would've got that set up myself if I hadn't already bought the LFP cai.
Direct from the company, AFE. Called them, told them what size the filter was, they sent me the cover. The filter is 7 inch base, 5 inch tip, 12 inch length.

http://afepower.com/

·
Registered
410 Posts
Jlp cai...I have the ram air hose bolted behind the grille. Cruising on a hot day intake air is basically ambient. On a colder day it's a few degrees below ambient....and it looks good

·
Registered
577 Posts
Kenne Bell won't cover much of anything through warranty from what I've heard. If you were to fart next to it as you received it through ups or whatever they would probably void your warranty for hot air passing by it.

Kinda irrelevant to the op's post by just a thought from the link lol

Sorry for being off topic

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I don't think they sell them any more BUT I use a Air Raid CAI -
It has a K&N filter and seems to be doing well after 10 years. Of course I clean it and oil it at least one a year. It sits in a bay with rubber on the top edges. When you close the hood, it seals so that only cool air from the fender opening gets to the filter/inlet. Now I am tempted to open up that fender hole but don't want to hack the truck up. Since I don't know if enough cool air is available or not I am still delaying that mod so for now I'll assume cool air is not a problem with the stock opening.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Test of CAI - I'm not smart enough to say they are wrong - Dremel has a tool I saw on TV that just might be the perfect tool to open up that hole.

The next step was to see if we could make up that difference using the factory air intake box. A recommendation from our friends at Ford SVT was that there was an additional 8 hp if we opened up the air inlet hole on the fender. This is the area where the air enters the gaps between the headlights and runs through the inner fender. The factory air intake system takes its cold outside air from this area, and we decided to open it to the same diameter as the rubber inlet tube that mates up against it. We used a Sawzall to open up the area and, after reinstalling the factory air-intake system, it netted 8 hp. To get the most horsepower during our testing, we opted to reinstall the 4x6 cone filter.

Read more: http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/0103tr_project_lightning/#ixzz2WRz5MXYO

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I have a 1999 so this peaks my interest Even Ford figured the hole needed to be bigger -
Thanks to a 90mm mass airflow meter (10mm larger than last year's), a larger intake-air opening in the fender well, and a higher-flowing intake manifold, SVT engineers have netted 20 more horsepower and 10 more pound-feet of torque from the supercharged V-8.

Reactions: stoffer

·
Divergent
13,541 Posts
Has anyone ran the Volant system?
Yes. It works very well at keeping IAT1s down.
-------------------------
I just ditched my "cold air intake" and went back to the stock air box and noticed very little if any difference in throttle response.
Truck pulls just as hard as it did, and IAT1 now stays about 10-15* over ambient and will slowly creep up at a light, where as before it was around 140-160* in traffic and 120* rolling at 70mph

Reason for the switch back was strictly performance & comfort.
I run a killer chiller. The fluid stays cold no matter how hot it gets outside, but the hotter ambient is the worse in cab cooling would be in traffic. One reason only, 160* filter temps.
Now the compressor isnt working as hard, motors not working as hard, ac cools better and engine runs cooler.

·
Registered
130 Posts
For what it's worth I had a jlt elbow fail on me at the seam where it's glued together. Could have been bad since it was air after the maf getting into the engine.
The same happened to me. This is what I believe is the cause for a lot of my power loss during my early tuning. The JLT is PVC / ABS and is subject to too much heat and will crack / stress. Plus it sucks hot air in from the engine bay.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts