Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[smilie=ughug.gif] what do you guys think of the cog belt system designed by a company called moto blue? the only place i found it for sale was on let me know what you guys think..

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/lightcog.htm

·
Administrator
18,554 Posts
All mods have an adverse effect on longevity, but the fun factor is hard to resist. Cog drive seems a bad idea for a daily driver expecting to rack up miles, but for a weekend warrior type it is extremely cool.
Keep in mind that only one ratio is currently available.
Jim

·
Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
5,887 Posts
I have heard its a waste of money and its hard on the S.C. I know of two people that have had them and have switched back to a gaterback belt and there old setups. Allthough the Cog setup sounds awesome when the engine is running

·
Administrator
18,554 Posts
Hey Thunder Bolt, any particular problems on the take offs, or just fear of damaging the blower?
The cog sets are expensive compared to standard lower pullies, but the sound is so unique. BTW if you will pay $800 for a pulley kit a replacement Eaton snout is just a small purchase. Many Eatons being sold as people upgrade their power adders.
Jim

·
Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
5,887 Posts
They both were afraid of bearing wear in the blower.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I was a FEAD engineer for 6 years. (front end accessory drive) I don't want this thread to turn into a "why" arguement over this issue. Please..

Just trust me that a little belt slip will go a long way towards longevity. There are only two situations where a cogged setup should be used. Either where a timing *has to* occur. (like on a timing belt) Or in a situation where maximum power is desired over longevity. And 99.99999999% of lightning owners do NOT fall into that catagory.

How long the blower bearings will last is dependant on how big the load is (pulley ratios) and how many cycles it sees.

I hope I've precluded any questions ya'll might have.

Regards,
Rich

·
Banned
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rich, i think i need to just ask this and i would be able to make up my mind on whether to get the setup or not. would it be ok for like a weekend truck strictly going to some local shows and going to the track?
Rich

·
Registered
426 Posts
Local show's and track *only*.. sure it'll work and last for awhile.

Something else to remember is that not only does the blower snout see increased loads. So does the crankshaft for those of you using a non-caged design. Remember somewhere back in school we learned about equall and opposite reactions? That has'nt changed... :D

The bigger the pulley combo.. the bigger the loads on both. ESPECIALLY at sudden rpm changes.
Believe it or not the biggest loads we saw was at about 3500 rpms, 80% throttle, and the A/C on. When that A/C compressor kicked the belt loads went sky high.

Using the same mindset, when you have a tranny that shifts quick and some tires that bite? The motor now effectively "stalls" suddenly and you get a big spike on all the bearings in all of the FEAD components. Blower included.

Rich

·
Banned
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow, sounds to me like your just doing more damage then your average wear and tear.. i like to drive my "L" hard, may not be a good idea for me..
thanks for your help on this matter..
Rich

·
Registered
426 Posts
I hate to steer folks aways from modding thier trucks.. :cry: But this is one area I spent years in. A cogged system really ought to be left for trailer queens. When you install one; reliability just went out the window and is flying away.

Rich

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
That and the $900 price tag with it from RPM outlet is a little high. I say use that for some thing more serious moding.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I do understand thier costs being that high. It's not cheap to machine those type of pullies. Not cheap at all because of the ultra high quality they need to have with all the little nubs.

Something else I noticed in the article of the front page of lightningrodder. They have the extra belt wrap on the wrong side. It ought to be on the pass side where there is very little load. Increasing wrap on the driver side only serves to place a larger load on the idler pulley bearing. Maybe they have accounted for it? And if they did it means they had to upgrade the bearing in the pulley. Basicly that's a waste of money for no good reason other than to guide the belt as it no longer has vees to align it.

Rich

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Glad to see someone reads the e-zine, Good info Rich ;)
Unfortunately even with that great info Rich I do believe if this price was cut in 1/2, it would be the next big mod, sound alone would get most (think of the thousands that paid 2-3K for Headers, Cats, and Cat Backs to be installed, and we all know there is NO HP to be made there. Only sound, (yes I know for a small % it is a needed Mod to get the heat out of the cylinders)

As I said in my little article, I never saw it before and though it was interesting, I sure know the sound is.

IMO for a Company to expect almost 100% of the L owners to actually slow their truck down and run less boost than they currently do, is just plain stupid thinking, and a very bad business decision. Most L's with CAI and a 4lb Pulley make a hell of a lot more boost than 12lbs, I sure did......

·
Registered
426 Posts
I hear ya Rob.  And you gotta admit that a "whine" at low rpms is pretty cool stuff!  Kinda like hearing a 5.0L stang pull up along side and then it dawns on you he's packin a blower.  [smilie=eek4.gif]

Cool stuff IMO.

One thing I repeatedly see is that folks are always pushing the envelope.  It's just amazing what a 5,000lb pick up truck can run with just simple bolt ons.  Just amazing IMO.

On a static bling scale from 1 to 10.  I'd put the cog system at a 9.  And that's only because I know it'll effect longevity.  If it was'nt so hard on the bearings I'd consider getting a kit.   :)

Rich

·
Registered
207 Posts
wydopnthrtl said:
I hear ya Rob.  And you gotta admit that a "whine" at low rpms is pretty cool stuff!  Kinda like hearing a 5.0L stang pull up along side and then it dawns on you he's packin a blower.  [smilie=eek4.gif]

Cool stuff IMO.

One thing I repeatedly see is that folks are always pushing the envelope.  It's just amazing what a 5,000lb pick up truck can run with just simple bolt ons.  Just amazing IMO.

On a static bling scale from 1 to 10.  I'd put the cog system at a 9.  And that's only because I know it'll effect longevity.  If it was'nt so hard on the bearings I'd consider getting a kit.   :)

Rich
Rich - make some money and design a cogged, caged lower and an externally supported or 'caged' cogged upper.  It could be a bolt-on shroud (like an air cut-off wheel) that would have a mechanism to support both sides of the bearing (that's where you come in :D).  I would assume that the actual load is not what kills the bearings, but the vector forces seen when the axial bearing load shifts away from perpendicular to the shaft.  Angular axial loading, if you will.

Herb

Edited for my ever-present type-o's

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
but the vector forces seen when the axial bearing load shifts away for perpendicular to the shaft. Angular axial loading, if you will.

Herb

Wooooooooooooooo
Thats is waaaaaaaaaaay over my head
(dam erb will do it to you every time) hehehehehehe.....

:LOL

·
Administrator
18,554 Posts
A simple product to give the sound(my only observed benefit to the cog system) of cogged pullies would be a decoratice add on upper pulley cover massaged to whine at speed.
It should be a simple piece to make for a pulley manufacturer, and much lower cost than the Motoblue Cog Drive.
Jim

·
Registered
207 Posts
Rob_02Lightning said:
but the vector forces seen when the axial bearing load shifts away for perpendicular to the shaft.  Angular axial loading, if you will.

Herb

Wooooooooooooooo
Thats is waaaaaaaaaaay over my head
(dam erb will do it to you every time) hehehehehehe.....

:LOL

:LOL I'm usually over my own head Rob!!

Herb

·
Banned
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i had to find out from someone i can actually trust now after my truck is finished.... the cog belt is not going to put srain on the snout of the blower but will take the strain off.. the only time strain is being put on the engine is when in between shifts or off the throttle, these things need that little bit of slip so that your internals do not get damaged.. incase anyone is wondering Sal from PSP gave me the info... thank you

1 - 20 of 50 Posts