Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
GoD GiVeN
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this has just started. When accelerating (normal take off) I get a very quite clunk, i feel it on the floor board more than hear it since these trucks aren't the quitest, but at times, I can hear it also, sounds under me, but I am not 100 on that. And I again, I get the clunk when coming to a stop. I am hoping to climb under the truck this weekend to start looking at all suspension and steering components, any ideas on what it could be? I was thinking ball joints, but I am just guessing... Thoughts?

-Adam

·
Registered
193 Posts
That happened on my yukon. It was my engine mounts. Now sure if the same sound happens on our Lightning’s. But usually from a stand still or accelerating.
i don’t remember when stopping

·
GoD GiVeN
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That happened on my yukon. It was my engine mounts. Now sure if the same sound happens on our Lightning’s. But usually from a stand still or accelerating.
i don’t remember when stopping
How do I check the motor mounts?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Are you running clunk washers?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
GoD GiVeN
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If its the motor mounts, anybody know what the OEM part numbers are? I know the driver side is different than other F150s because of the oil cooler, not looking for any crazy upgrade, OE replacement is perfect for my daily driver... thanks guys

·
(THE ORIGINAL) SMOKINTRUCK#1
266 Posts
So, this has just started. When accelerating (normal take off) I get a very quite clunk, i feel it on the floor board more than hear it since these trucks aren't the quitest, but at times, I can hear it also, sounds under me, but I am not 100 on that. And I again, I get the clunk when coming to a stop. I am hoping to climb under the truck this weekend to start looking at all suspension and steering components, any ideas on what it could be? I was thinking ball joints, but I am just guessing... Thoughts?

-Adam
Could be the old washer clunk or universal joints driveshahaft

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
The transmission crossmember is known to crack between the rubber mounts two bolt holes. Can't be seen from the underside cause its double thickness. Has to be dropped to view.

·
GoD GiVeN
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, I got the truck on four Jack stands, was able to check the motor mounts, watched a video on you tube on how to check them, motor mounts are solid, thank God, started checking ball joints, BINGO, upper control arm ball joints are both shot, rubber boots are both torn to crap and grease is all gone, the lowers are perfect, replaced those a few years back... Time to replace!

Thanks for all the input, hopefully this helps others in the future, I will verify once I get them replaced

Adam

·
Registered
193 Posts
Glad to hear you figured it out man! Hopefully that is the fix

·
GoD GiVeN
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I replaced the upper control arms, and nope, the light clunk is still there at times, I have to keep digging, I will keep everyone posted...

·
GoD GiVeN
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The transmission crossmember is known to crack between the rubber mounts two bolt holes. Can't be seen from the underside cause its double thickness. Has to be dropped to view.
I am starting to lean this way, I have checked EVERYTHING, and I can't seem to find the culprit, so I will more than likely be dropping this crossmember to give it a look

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,227 Posts
Like someone said, check the transmission cross member. They are known to crack. I took my stock one off my low mileage 04 back in 2015 and replaced it with a custom made tubular part. Sadly, George C no longer makes those.

·
10,227 Posts
I am starting to lean this way, I have checked EVERYTHING, and I can't seem to find the culprit, so I will more than likely be dropping this crossmember to give it a look
It's not too hard. It's not a tight fit between the rails. Just comes right out when all the bolts are removed.

·
GoD GiVeN
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's not too hard. It's not a tight fit between the rails. Just comes right out when all the bolts are removed.
Cool, thanks for the heads up, I am assuming if it is cracked, I can probably get it welded up. Worse case, I buy the stifflers tubular cross member :)

·
10,227 Posts
I'd buy the tubular anyways.

Attachments

·
GoD GiVeN
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I think I might have found the culprit to my issue, I haven't driven my truck lately because of the few issues I am fighting. But, last week while driving my rear end started to howl when off the throttle, was thinking my rear gears are worn and so I made an appointment to have the rear end looked at on the 10th, so I decided to start looking at the rear axle, along with the driveshaft and u-joints last night, low and behold, while pushing up on the driveshaft by the pinion, i was able to actually see and hear the movement of the pinion up and down, and the clunk is literally what i am hearing, so that is not good at all, but thinking at this point i have pin pointed the actually issue. Starting to look like it is a rear end issue, will have another update in 10 days! Stand by....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts