Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any proven data regarding HP/Flow between say the Volant closed type CAI and the other open type CAI's. I think you are taking in "Hot" air with the open type but more air flow with the open type. Does the amount of flow trump the hot air when it comes to HP and or numbers on the dyno? Looking for input from data or actual experience with both.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
9,778 Posts
I don't have any data, just my preference. Also, when it's cold outside, the open filters on all three of my vehicles are cold to the touch, even after driving an hour. When it's hot, they're hot. You can't cool down 100 degree air, no matter where it comes from. Plus you cannot cool down the elbow or plenum, they're always hot because they are behind the radiator. At least the filter is off to the side, out of the hot air flow. So even if you can get cold air into the filter, by the time it reaches the motor, it's hot anyway. You can always run a tube from a scoop under the truck or in the grill, to direct cold air into the area the air filter occupies. The open filter I recently put on my Mustang came with such device. I have a JLP scoop and tube in the garage for the Lightning. As long as you are moving, air is flowing into the area. But, if it's 100 outside and humid, won't make any difference at all.

You can always go Killer Chiller. Then it wouldn't matter where the air comes from.

·
10 SECOND CLUB!
898 Posts
Volant has been said to be a poor CAI

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
9,778 Posts
Volant has been said to be a poor CAI
I've read that, can't recall where though. Mine is simply a LFP adaptor with a giant K & N Powerstack filter hanging off it. Been that way 10 years now. No intention of changing it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,222 Posts
The slightly cooler IAT1 temps coming from the Volant setup will be better than the hotter under hood open filter. All the way up to the point that you need more air...

The Volant won't flow enough for performance work.

Jim

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sucks to hear that I spent that kind of money on something that is only choking my performance.

·
11 second street truck
10,335 Posts
At cruise speeds my iat1 and ambient are almost identical. It's really only an issue when sitting and goes away shortly after moving.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
I tested the Volant system years ago. It did not flow enough and in AZ heat it did not cool down as quickly as my CAI. when moving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts