Lightning Rodder banner

Cleaning out the Intercooler, Glad I did that

6K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  02joesvt 
#1 ·
I would just like to say that im glad I pulled the intercooler of tonight. while my supercharger did come back from LFP today but might as well clean it while it's off. Im glad I did that thing was so dirty the carb cleaner was black when I was done cleaning it out. When we pumped the anitfreeze out before we took the IC off there was gunk floating inside the anitfrezze so we are going to put some new antifrezze in as well. The Port job that was done on my Eaton by mark was top notch quality.I am hopeing that I get the 400 club with the ported eaton and mods that I already have.

This could make for a good Discussion in the How To Topic :idea:

I do have pre-and post pictures of the IC and ported blower if any intrest is out there.

#2 ·
I would say definitely. Type it up in an easy-to-read format, with whatever pictures you have detailing the steps you took. Then we'll go ahead and toss it up.

I envision the how-to section having everything possible, *including* the little basics that people take for granted. From changing your oil, fuel filter, to pulling the supercharger, changing plugs, tstat replacement, traction bar install, etc etc.

#4 ·
Good Move Beast, Glad it worked out

I also have all the info (with some pic's) on a GREAT "How To" for this,
maybe we can put it all in one Post, Got to get Chris to build us a "How To"
section.

I got the Torque Spec's, Part #'s for those looking to change Bolts, or Gaskets, some Pictures, and even Fords "How To" on it.

#5 ·
TQ numbers for the IC?

Her rob what is the TQ specs for the bolts on the IC I know what the ones for the supercharger are but not for the IC.

#7 ·
I agree about it would make for a great "how to". You have to remember that for some people they think many of the things they do are simple and that most people "know how" to do it when in reality many people don't.

I would also add that pictures make a HUGE difference. It is one thing to read about it and what part and another thing to actually see a picture of what the words mean... :smt023

#8 ·
Got it done but need help with a vacum line?

I got the truck back togather last night and only had a few small problems and one was getting the belt back on and second there is one vacum hose line that I don't think was ever connected but we started it up and was no vacum leak that we could here. But I attached a picture for input on were this hose goes to.

#9 ·
this may be the problem?

any one know were this hose goes to? I think it's the problem with my a/f ratio on the dyno last saturday.

#10 ·
That Boost Acuator has "2" spots for vacum lines to go to,
one is dam near impossible to get to, it's pointing towards the fire wall
the other is easier to see.

Isn't the line going from the Rubber TB Boot ?

let me look for a picture

Maybe one of these will help ???

#11 ·
Found were the hose goes but....

I found were the hose goes but not sure if that is were my problem is. It plugs in to the bottom of the inlet pipe.

#12 ·
IT is definitely worth cleaning the intercooler while you pull it...When I honed my upper plenum I pulled cleaned it all up and the throttle body which was caked in oil at that time. Did the "dime" and Cobra PCV mod, and when I pulled it this time to yank the supercharger...no oil in the intake. So that shows that it works...

However, the intercooler looks like absolute hell...mine is an '01 with 23K and it looks like an oil refinery on my cooler...

There are some "how to's" out there with some good info...I read the one MAX POWER posted on F-150 Online...It was fairly easy to do, just time consuming. I am overly anal so I bought a roll of masking tape and numbered each hose I disconnected so I know where everything goes...maybe a little overkill, but I don't have any "extras" that way!

That is really the key to the removal...other than taking your time. I don't have any pics of the tear-down, but maybe I can get some of the cleaning and put together...I'll let you know. I am waiting on my blower right now (sent to a local guy to port...helluva deal.)

And on your vacuum line, I know which one you speak of, and it will cause some sort of problem because it runs from the actuator area to the boot after the MAF so you are losing some metered air and you might not be recirculating some air too...not 100% sure, but I know any little leak can be a pain in the butt. Best of luck with the leak. Check the driver's side valve cover too, that one seems to pop off from time to time on mine...not sure why...

Charlie

#13 ·
How hard is it exactly to do this and about how long does it take, i really need to do my intercooler,the truck has 79K on it i really hate to think what the intercooloer looks like,when you clean the intercooler is it removed from the truck? what do you cleean it with?can you clean the throttle body with the same cleaner?

#14 ·
Clean it with carb cleaner

you have to take the whole intire air intake assemble off,plenum,charger and then unbolt the intercooler and get some carb cleaner and clean it out . I would also clean out the plenum,tb,air filter and all that good stuff as well.

#15 ·
Took me a couple of hours to get it all off...not too bad really. Just have to be patient and take your time. The hardest part is reaching the back bolts and marking all the hoses.

You have to disconnect everything including the battery, undo the intake boot, TB/upper Plenum, then unbolt the supercharger. There are several items that bolt to each of these things like brackets for the throttle, power steering reservoir and the EGR valve. The two back bolts on the plenum and the supercharger are a bear because of clearance...use a swivel if you have it. Also the back two bolts on the supercharger don't have enough clearance to be pulled all the way out when you undo them. Leave them loose and you have to pull them with the supercharger. The supercharger also has some weight, so it is probably worth having some extra hands.

Then you have to drain the intercooler reservoir so you can pull the intercooler out and clean it. It is right on top easy to get to. You will probably need to clean the TB, Plenum, S/C and intercooler.

Use B-12 or the equivalent on the Intercooler, TB and Plenum. DO NOT USE ANYTHING ON THE S/C, it can wear off the protective coating on the fins (if it is still there anyway :)) Just wipe it down. Also check the supercharger fluid while you have it off...there is an allen head bolt in the front snout. Takes special supercharger oil availble at any dealer....though I found it was cheaper at the Chevy dealer for some reason...(thanks to the tip from NLOC). It takes 7oz and comes in 4oz bottles.

Other than that you are done, put everything back together and enjoy. Fill up the intercooler with antifreeze (I recommend adding something like Purple Ice or Water Wetter.) It takes just over a gallon for the reservoir system. Reconnect the battery, and you are in business. Double check all sensors and hoses. If it runs rough or other problems upon re-starting, you probably have a vacuum leak.

While you are doing this project it is really an opportune time to do some other stuff. Hone/Port the upper plenum, If you haven't, do the the dime mod or oil separator (to avoid doing this again.) Change your plugs or at least check them since it is easily accessible. (can come loose and shoot them due to head design) Change out to a cooler thermostat (right on top in the open.) Replace Belts, the list goes on...

Fun stuff! It really is cool to see all the crap when you pull it off, and it will perform much better.

Charlie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.