Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the recent issues with the 2000 year model F150 having problems with the cruise control switch causing many F150's to go up in flames I wanted to post up this URL to a section on Ford's website that allows you to enter in your V.I.N. # (Vehicle Identification Number) to check for any recall notices your F150 might have...

http://www.ford.com/en/vehicles/owners/recalls/default.htm

Take a minute to run your V.I.N. # just to be on the safe side, PLEASE!

-Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
367 Posts
Re: Check your Lightning for recalls...

No recalls for me!!!!! :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
[smilie=fingersx.gif]

:D
Clean bill of health!
:shock: 'cept for the dead motor - isn't that a recall item?

Herb

·
Registered
159 Posts
Chris, thanks for the link, as I did not find any recalls for my Lightning........ [smilie=popcorn.gif]

·
Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
5,887 Posts
Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
Chris said:
Due to the recent issues with the 2000 year model F150 having problems with the cruise control switch causing many F150's to go up in flames I wanted to post up this URL to a section on Ford's website that allows you to enter in your V.I.N. # (Vehicle Identification Number) to check for any recall notices your F150 might have...

http://www.ford.com/en/vehicles/owners/recalls/default.htm

Take a minute to run your V.I.N. # just to be on the safe side, PLEASE!

-Thanks,

Chris
Lightning/Harley - Brake/Cruise Control Switch!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI, guy's I just got back from my Dealership and had my Vin Number put into their computer, to check to see if my 99 Lightning was indeed effected by the Brake/Cruise Control Switch going bad and possibility of it
catching on fire.

At this time, there are 9.7 million 1997-2002 Vehicles
effected by this problem, including F-150, F-250, F-350 , Eurostar and SUV's that have had this problem for the past year, but Ford has not issed a Recall as of yet, to replace these defective switches!

After talking with my Dealership Service Director and the Parts Manager today, we all agreed to replace the Switch anyway, at a cost to me of $20. A little piece of mind is worth something, right guy's!

Anyway, just thought I would relay this information to those who do no know about this ongoing problem and suggest you check your Vin Number of your vehicle with your local Dealership Service Director, to make sure your vehicle is not effected in any way of a having a premature fire start under your hood and burn your vehicle down, like some others have faced in the past year of having a faulty switch shorting out and catching on fire.

Hope this helps, as the New Part Number for this part is 1L1Z-9F924-AA for this kit, which includes a new Switch, Harness Pigtail and Zip Tie.
:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi iam lookiat this truck and have found these recalls
Recalls Listed
Affected Vehicle VIN
2000 Ford F-150 2FTZF0735YCA60804

Recall
01S24 Safety Recall - Certain 2000 and 2001 Model Year Cars and Trucks -- Wiper Motor Gear Cover Replacement
05S28 SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH
so i guess your are all talking about the second one !!!!
What do i need to do to unplug it and what effect dose it have on the car when unpluged ?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Euro Lightning said:
Hi  iam lookiat this truck and have found these recalls
Recalls Listed
Affected Vehicle VIN
2000 Ford F-150 2FTZF0735YCA60804

Recall
01S24 Safety Recall - Certain 2000 and 2001 Model Year Cars and Trucks -- Wiper Motor Gear Cover Replacement
05S28 SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH
so i guess your are all talking about the second one !!!!
What do i need to do to unplug it and what effect dose it have on the car when unpluged ?
There is a plug at the master brake cylinder that an input of the cruise control plugs into. It is an input for the cruise control so that when you tap, or apply your brakes, and you have cruise control on, it shuts the cruise control off.

What, apparently, happens in this switch is there is a plastic type of film that “could” crack and allow brake fluid into the switch. If this happens, or when it happens, it can cause a fire. The reason being is the switch is “always” hot, always has power applied to it EVEN when the vehicle is shut off and parked. Only way to cut power, other then unplugging the switch, would be to disconnect the battery.

Now, the switch is fused protected BUT you can have a short that does NOT draw enough current to cause the fuse to open. That is what happens in these cases, from my understanding. The brake fluid and power at the circuit is enough to get hot and start a fire but NOT enough current is drawn to open the fuse.

Therefore the safest thing to do is unplug the connector until a new unit can be installed.

It will have NO effect on your truck “other” then you will not be able to use cruise control.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks for the link Chris! Gotta make a date to get the cruise control fixed! Artie :smt023

·
Retired Odderator
3,305 Posts
My cruise control is sitting in a dusty box. I am actually going to find a cap and remove the deactivation switch from my master cylinder alltogether.

·
Registered
9,791 Posts
Blah,,,,,,,

·
Registered
9,791 Posts
P.S., Ian wants me to make that cap nut....Blah

1 - 20 of 21 Posts