Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2002 DSG HD last week and I am going to change the plugs, oil, etc. tomorrow.

The truck is stock other than flows and I may add an intake later. Other than that the truck will stay stock.

The manual says to use Ford Motorcraft AGSF-12FM1 spark plugs gapped to .0052 to .0056. However when looking at autozones website the only show Ford Motorcraft SP-471. Are these the correct ones?

What plugs would you guys recommend? And what gap as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Forged Internals, like Roses to Men
1,099 Posts
If it is going to stay stock essentially and you will not be upping the boost, stay with stock Motorcraft plugs. Not sure about the part numbers you have listed, but I would look them up based on the ones listed in the manual. As far as the gap, stock should be 52 to 56, but i like to tighten them up just a bit maybe 50-45. if you up the boost you need to close the gap a little more.

You may want to remove the S/C as well and clean the intercooler while you are at it. It makes the plug change loads easier, and the I/C is likely caked in oil...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input.

I have been searching the part number listed in the manual for the plugs and it seems these may be discontinued???

I am new to S/C so forgive me if these are dumb questions.

What gaskets are needed to do the IC cleaning and S/C removal? I was looking at the "How to" and it didn't mention if I need to drain the S/C oil before removing.

I have replaced motors on NA cars, but have never worked on a S/C. Is it a difficult thing to do?

·
Guilty by Association
19,345 Posts
Thanks for the input.

I have been searching the part number listed in the manual for the plugs and it seems these may be discontinued???

I am new to S/C so forgive me if these are dumb questions.

What gaskets are needed to do the IC cleaning and S/C removal? I was looking at the "How to" and it didn't mention if I need to drain the S/C oil before removing.

I have replaced motors on NA cars, but have never worked on a S/C. Is it a difficult thing to do?
no gaskets are needed as long as you don't seperate the midplate. The SC will be in the way for sure, but its doable. Just take your time and don't force anything!! Last bolt on Pass side is up under firewall when you go to pull the SC. Tilt it up as far as you can, then move the whole blower forward. It takes just the right jiggle but you won't be fukkin up the firewall or cuttin the bolt head tryin to get it out

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no gaskets are needed as long as you don't seperate the midplate. The SC will be in the way for sure, but its doable. Just take your time and don't force anything!! Last bolt on Pass side is up under firewall when you go to pull the SC. Tilt it up as far as you can, then move the whole blower forward. It takes just the right jiggle but you won't be fukkin up the firewall or cuttin the bolt head tryin to get it out
Do I have to drain the oil of the S/C or is it a sealed system? I just want to make sure I don't run into any snags as this is my daily driver and can't be out of commission for more than the time I am working on it.

·
Guilty by Association
19,345 Posts
Do I have to drain the oil of the S/C or is it a sealed system? I just want to make sure I don't run into any snags as this is my daily driver and can't be out of commission for more than the time I am working on it.
Nope, oil is inside the snout and you will not need to get in there to remove the blower

·
Guilty by Association
19,345 Posts
It just so happens that I have a set of new stock plugs here that I brought back to the UK for a buddy with a stock motor.

I got them from a Ford Dealer and the part no. is AGSF*12F*M1

$66.80 +tax though for the set :shocked003
WHEW!!!!!!!
I just bought a set of motorcrafts for a buddy's truck. $25.52 + tax

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses! I can tell there is a great group of people on these forums.

When pulling the IC and cleaning it does this require me to drain the IC coolant? If so what is the best coolant to put back in the IC system?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It will require draining. since your in in the bay area (I'm assuming ca and it wont freeze) some water wetter and distilled water would be perfect
yep definitely in the Bay Area California so no real issues with freezing temps.

Although last winter was a little colder than normal, but I don't think it was below freezing.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,537 Posts
normal antifreeze/water mixture is what I run in the winter months

·
Dam it feels good to be a Gangsta
511 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Fast Mike, that is an awesome link!

I just went to ford and got the spark plugs as well as the following diagrams.

I see there is at least 4 gaskets pictured here in order to get the IC out. I believe that these are metal.

So none of these gaskets need to be replaced? (see SC Diagram1 #9H486, 9M436, 9461)

@ chance04 - you mentioned if I separate the midplate that some gaskets may need replacement, is #9424 the midplate you are speaking of? It looks like this needs to be removed to get to the IC? Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again for all of the info everyone! You are helping me out quite a bit!

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so I am going to get this work done on Saturday and just had a question.

Is it recommended to use a gasket sealant on the S/C to MidPlate and MidPlate to Plenum gaskets? (metal gaskets)

I will also be changing the TB gasket and the upper plenum gasket (paper style gaskets), is the gasket sealant needed on those?

Thanks,
Eric

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
6 Participants
Bayarea510
Lightning Rodder
Join our Lightning Rodder community to discuss the supercharged Ford F150 SVT and Harley Davidson edition pickup.
Full Forum Listing