Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Silver Thor! Scream Eaton Scream!
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Y'all convinced me to drop mine since I was like a 4x4 compared to y'all yesterday! Lol...so, I have the springs, I just need to swap em...whats the process? Is it easy? How long will it take?

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
easiest way I know of

1- jack up truck, put jackstands on front frame rails

2- remove wheels

3- remove shock

4 -put jack under lower control arm, between 2 bolts holding it to frame. You want to make sure it's on there.

5- remove 2 bolts holding lower control arm to frame

6- SLOWLY lower jack, the spring will push the control arm down.

7- eventually there will be no more tension. You can now pull the jack out and remove the spring.

To reinstall, throw the spring isolator (rubber thing) on the spring (or not, whatever). put the spring back in, jack up the lower control arm, put the bolts back in finger tight, put the shock back on, etc.
Repeat on other side.

Once the truck is back on the ground, get under and tighten the lower control arm bolts to spec. Or if you're like me, just really effin tight.

If you dont' already have cam bolts, you'll need them. You don't need to jack the truck up to do this, but it is easier with the wheels off. Otherwise you can contort yourself and do it from under the hood. or with the wheels turned.
You'll need 2 sets/pairs of cam bolts

·
Silver Thor! Scream Eaton Scream!
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rman-thanks bro! I'll have this right by my side as I do step by step!

00slvr-yea bro, I'm stock up front...just leveled out with 2inch shackles in the rear..your drop is awesome!!!

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
I like doing it this way because you don't have to mess with the ball joints.

Again, when I say SLOWLY lower the jack to drop the control arm, i mean SLOWLY. The last thing you want is that compressed spring flying out and hurting you.

·
Fat Bastad
2,756 Posts
Yep... That's how I changed mine. Works like a charm. And it's just like rman said...you can either use the isolator or for a little bit more drop you can toss the isolator. I used them mostly because my mom owned an old ford Maverick thats front suspension sounded like a Shermin tank and was as embarrassing as hell to catch a ride in and get dropped off anywhere near a group of other kids. Funny thing is I'm not even sure it was a lack of spring isolators that caused that God aweful creaking noise but I wasn't taking any chances with the truck. Nobody I know complains of any noise on their Gen 2 trucks without them though.

Roach

1 - 7 of 7 Posts