Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Terberta
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my rear rims widened to 11", running MT 345x35x18. I have been rubbing on the drivers side. Put 1/4" spacers on. Helped a little but still rub when roads are rough. Sooo what is the best way to shift the axle over to center it better ? It is about 3/4" towards the passengers side. Can I just loosen the u bolts on the springs and try to shift it over?

·
Registered
858 Posts
You gotta get side by side with another Lightning and start making comparative measurements.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,992 Posts
Some disagree with me on this, say it's BAD for rear suspension. Been this way for several years. NASCAR drivers do it while driving. I have an adjustable panhard bar. Since I didn't want to move the bed anymore and screw up how the bed aligns with the rear of the cab, I simply use my panhard bar to push the axle towards the driver's side. For some odd reason, my trucks drivers side tire has always been more tucked under than the passenger side. Never liked it. Adjusted the bed as much as I could, but anymore, it will not look right behind the cab. Using the panhard bar, I simply loosened the locknut, and adjusted it, by hand, no tools to force the issue, until both tires looked the same. I have stock rims widened to 12.5 with M & H 345/35-18s on them. Also using 1.5 adaptors to keep the rims off of things on the inside. Right now, both tires are flush with the tops of the fenders when looking down. No more tuck, especially on the driver's side.

And btw, every Lightning I have personally seen has the issue of the tires not sitting the same in the rear fenders, to one side or the other. It's more apparent when you run wider tires and push them out as I did. When running stock rims with 295's on them, you have to look harder to see it. My friend's 2002, he's running NItto 305/45-18s on stock 04 rims he got from me. Yup, it's apparent. Drivers side is more tucked under than the passenger side. Bugs the shit out of me.

Unfortunately, the guy who used to make the panhard bars, BroncoBeater, has been MIA for awhile. He pops in sometimes. Not often. It's been two years or more since the last time I saw him here.

Reactions: Capt.EKB

·
Registered
208 Posts
Can I just loosen the u bolts on the springs and try to shift it over?

specifically..to answer this Q.. NO, you can't

leaf spring bundles have a centering pin at the location where the axle fits to it
in the little bracket welded to the axle there is a corresponding hole the pin fits in..
the pin locates the axle in the truck...the U bolts only serve to hold everything together

personally I wish I could move the axle forwards as after lowering the rear 4 inches ..the wheelbase got about 1 1/2 inches longer
wheel looks a little off center towards the rear of the opening..

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
3,217 Posts
Can I just loosen the u bolts on the springs and try to shift it over?

specifically..to answer this Q.. NO, you can't

leaf spring bundles have a centering pin at the location where the axle fits to it
in the little bracket welded to the axle there is a corresponding hole the pin fits in..
the pin locates the axle in the truck...the U bolts only serve to hold everything together

personally I wish I could move the axle forwards as after lowering the rear 4 inches ..the wheelbase got about 1 1/2 inches longer
wheel looks a little off center towards the rear of the opening..

By loosening the u bolts he might find out that the centering pin is riding on top of the axle perch. I would start by loosening the ubolts and inspecting to see.

How are you lowered in the rear?

·
Terberta
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By loosening the u bolts he might find out that the centering pin is riding on top of the axle perch. I would start by loosening the ubolts and inspecting to see.

I'm lowered 2 in the front and 4 in the rear. I think I'm going to try adjusting my panhard bar.
thanks for all the fast reply's. I'm lowered 2 in front and 4 in the rear. I think I'm going to try adjusting the pan

·
10,992 Posts
thanks for all the fast reply's. I'm lowered 2 in front and 4 in the rear. I think I'm going to try adjusting the pan
Your truck has a panhard bar? If so, you're lucky. The way I looked at it, as long as I am not using a tool, such as a strap wrench, to force the issue, it's not hurting anything. Bare hands only, I was able to center mine to my satisfaction. As to it causing unnecessary friction in the suspension, haven't noticed it. I have QA1 adjustable shocks, they're usually set on numero uno, the softest setting, for pleasure driving. Truck floats like a big ole tuna boat. Way softer than my dd Ranger, which rides like a buckboard.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Truck has the rear axle sitting about 1/4" toward the passenger's side, SN95 Mustang has it 1/4" toward the driver's side. Both pretty well-documented issues. And it's definitely more obvious the closer you get the tire to the fender lip.

·
10,992 Posts
Truck has the rear axle sitting about 1/4" toward the passenger's side, SN95 Mustang has it 1/4" toward the driver's side. Both pretty well-documented issues. And it's definitely more obvious the closer you get the tire to the fender lip.
My 07 Mustang is not centered either. And it has a panhard bar from the factory. Tire is more tucked on one side than the other. Can't recall which though, haven't had the damn car in near two months. Transmission went out on it early April. Shop rebuilt it, got it back early May. Failed again Memorial Day weekend. Been back at that shop ever since. Warranty this time, but he says the parts he needs are back ordered.

Think it's the same as the SN95 Stang. Passenger side has more tuck than driver's side.

·
Registered
665 Posts
My 07 Mustang is not centered either. And it has a panhard bar from the factory. Tire is more tucked on one side than the other. Can't recall which though, haven't had the damn car in near two months. Transmission went out on it early April. Shop rebuilt it, got it back early May. Failed again Memorial Day weekend. Been back at that shop ever since. Warranty this time, but he says the parts he needs are back ordered.

Think it's the same as the SN95 Stang. Passenger side has more tuck than driver's side.
Quality is Job 1, eh? ;) At least with an adjustable panhard, you could nudge it over a bit. As soon as I install the frame connectors, I can get the torque arm mounted and remove the upper arms, which might allow me to adjust the already-installed panhard a little. My only worry doing this is that the axle might not sit squarely in the chassis anymore...will have to measure to confirm.

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,945 Posts
Robert, they make an adjustable pan hard bar for the Mustang. The stock bar is non adjustable.

·
10,992 Posts
Robert, they make an adjustable pan hard bar for the Mustang. The stock bar is non adjustable.
I know. Like I said, haven't had the car for near two months. Not sure how much longer this "warranty work" is going to take. He needs the solenoids, says they are backordered due to the fookin covid. I have an account at American Muscle for Mustang parts. They have several adjustable panhard bars available.

Reactions: Rossbach96

·
Registered
447 Posts
You could also:
Step 1. Loosen the bed to frame bolts.
2. Loosen the 6 cab to frame bolts.
3. Align the bed like you want.
4. Align cab to bed.
5. Tighten all bolts.
6. Post on this thread if you had enough adjustment. (y) LoL

Reactions: cbxer55

·
10,992 Posts
I thought about doing the cab bolts. Just haven't felt like peeling up the carpet to get to them as of yet. Tweaking the panhard bar was by far the easiest way to go for me.

Reactions: Ross600

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just bought some 345/35/18s and planned to get a pair of stock wheels widened. I’m in S Carolina and hoping there is a shop closer than the one in the Midwest that I have heard of. Any ideas if there is one in the southeast?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts