Lightning Rodder banner

441 - 460 of 462 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Was lucky to find an Expedition with the dark gray side panels in great shape. Painted the cup-holder panel and rear panels with 4 coats of black SEM Paint. Added carbon fiber blanks in rear panels after removing AC controls. Thanks to Eric for helping me with the lid cover and side pockets.
All put back together and ready for install.

Ok where and how did you do this!? I got my console from Chris, and while its not going to be noticeable, I'd lke to remove the radio controls. This looks nice.

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,406 Posts
Ok where and how did you do this!? I got my console from Chris, and while its not going to be noticeable, I'd lke to remove the radio controls. This looks nice.
I did something similar on mine, I used a piece of black Formica to fill the gap, screws on from behind, is trapped in place.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I know the console is from a Ford Expedition but I'm Confused on passenger seat and mount in this mod. Is it my seat and mount modified? New seat?

I know the the12fast4u sells the consoles and will cut the foam and re-sew the material but who does the seat mounts?

Can you buy the whole mod or do you have to find some items yourself?

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,406 Posts
I know the console is from a Ford Expedition but I'm Confused on passenger seat and mount in this mod. Is it my seat and mount modified? New seat?

I know the the12fast4u sells the consoles and will cut the foam and re-sew the material but who does the seat mounts?

Can you buy the whole mod or do you have to find some items yourself?
You basically throw away the Lightning frame. At one point some guys were cutting them and welding them to the right width, but finding a wrecked Expedition and buying the passenger seat is far easier.

Look at the various console mod how to threads and you'll see that you remove the lower seat foam and cover from the frame, then cut the foam to the approximate width for the bucket mod, then have Chris or somebody local cut the fabric foam exact and sew it up. It's important that the novice upholsterer knows how it's going to fit so show him your truck with just the drivers seat in place, and possibly with the console sitting on the hump. This is because the inside bolsters are straight and the outside flare up/out. Best to let them measure the drivers side and reverse the layout.

You can buy a finished console from Chris or someone else, pick up one at a junkyard, just be sure to take the four (4) mounting plates if you pick one at the yard, and also grab the PS inner seat belt.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ahhhh..... Thanks!!!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Remove the rear panel and take out the control unit (4 screws)...remove the control knobs and hardware, but, keep the square shell mounting.
I cut 0.25mm thick real carbon fiber pieces to fit over the opening (0.25mm can be cut with a pair of large scissors)...then reinstall the control mounting unit to hold the CF pc in place. The SVT is a decal!

Bought the CF here:
http://www.shop.protechcomposites.com/carbon-fiber-sheets-glossy/

·
Falafel
1,160 Posts
Looks great! Where did you get that Lightning plate done and who did the back part of it?

·
Registered
966 Posts
I designed the plate in powerpoint and sent it to Joan's Trophy and Plaque Co in Il. Eric (Ride The) recommended the place in an old thread. Very cool people to work with, and they've done quite a few of these for Lightning guys. I had all of the upholstery work done at a local shop here in MI, including the back piece.[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thread Revival, this is cool, question, what black "Leather" material do you guys recommend, I'm thinking of recovering my 03 Harley consoles?. Thanks guys.

·
AntiSocial
17 X3 35i, 18 Equinox LT 2.0T, 21 M550i -July production
792 Posts
Wow! Jus read 31 pages , I think I’m goin to start lookin for the parts up here at the pic ur part!

Before I start going through it all, is there a parts list someplace in there?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Before I start going through it all, is there a parts list someplace in there?

You need a widetop center console from an expedition. You'll need the brakets that mount it to the floor as well. You will also need the passenger side seat pan from an expedition. You can get away with using the stock seatbelt, but I looked around for a clean one from an expedition. Here is a list of matching interior paint colors:

Light Gray: SEM Color Coat Medium Gray 15393
Dark Gray: SEM Classic Coat Dark Graphite 17083
Black: SEM Color Coat Landau Black 15013

Prep:
SEM Plastic and Leather Prep 38353
Plastics with "PP" on the back: SEM Plastic Adhesion Promoter 39863
Plastics with "ABS" on the back: SEM Sand Free 38363

441 - 460 of 462 Posts