Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering the truck I just bought has no cats just straight pipe back to the magnaflow. the mods I know of are 2.80 upper,6lb lower,cai,plenum,and a ported stieg. is not having cats hurting power or does it matter? should I get some universal high flows and have them welded in or just get stock ones? the few time Ive hammered the truck the boost gauge shows around 11lbs just for reference.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Go with only two hi flow cats either Magnaflow or Bassani. Had them on my L and it was quite at the lights but when you stepped on it let you know you meant business. How did it pass smog with no cats? if you add a little more restriction in your exhaust your boost will go up (more power) so be careful you have the right MAF, plugs, injectors etc... to support the increase. not certain of how much increase but you are low on your boost for the pulley combo.....On my "L" I was running a 6lb and 3in upper and was getting 17 lbs of boost. With a 2.93 upper it ran 20lbs on magnum powers SC. Or just go with a larger upper and keep the boost at acceptable ranges. You will also gain some torque on take off if you restrict your exhaust a little bit more. I'm not a rocket scientist but I believe this is how it works :)

·
I <3 my Honda
2,845 Posts
if you add a little more restriction in your exhaust your boost will go up (more power)

not necessarily. boost is a measure of pressure... boost can go down when restrictions are removed...But power may not change much. Just because boost levels go up... It doesn't always mean power is too.

·
Fat Bastad
2,756 Posts
not necessarily. boost is a measure of pressure... boost can go down when restrictions are removed...But power may not change much. Just because boost levels go up... It doesn't always mean power is too.
x2 Agreed.

It's a common misconception that power is lost because of a change that made the boost go down but that isn't true in all instances. People initially get that impression based on the idea that when pulleys are swapped and boost is added then that makes more power (to a point)...which in that instance it does. Take that same pulley set up and add a less restrictive exhaust and that boost will drop but the truck will have the same or even more power possibly due to the less restrictive exhaust. Powere may or may not increase. A better flowing set of heads might drop boost as well while still adding additional power. Lots of variable come into play regarding this matter.

Roach

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear what you guys are saying and agree. I just wondered with the mods I have does it make a difference. Either way I got some high flow cats on the way to help quiet this thing down lol.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I believe hi-flow cats will be great on your truck. Like I said it should increase your torque a little.....

·
Fat Bastad
2,756 Posts
I believe hi-flow cats will be great on your truck. Like I said it should increase your torque a little.....
I'm going to have to disagree with that part of your claim. I highly doubt that his torque will increase one bit. It might even lower his torque and horsepower but on his build I doubt that it would lower either enough that would be noticable on anything other than a dyno sheet and depending on other conditions might not even be noticable on that.

None the less it's not going to make enough difference either way unless you're putting down huge numbers to begin with. If you want to install the highflows then install them. It won't hurt anything. I take it that your rear 02 sensors are turned off in your tune???

Roach

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to have to disagree with that part of your claim. I highly doubt that his torque will increase one bit. It might even lower his torque and horsepower but on his build I doubt that it would lower either enough that would be noticable on anything other than a dyno sheet and depending on other conditions might not even be noticable on that.

None the less it's not going to make enough difference either way unless you're putting down huge numbers to begin with. If you want to install the highflows then install them. It won't hurt anything. I take it that your rear 02 sensors are turned off in your tune???

Roach
as far as I can tell they are. I bought the truck recently. from what I have figured out the truck has been this way since 07.it came with sct handheld and throws no codes.I have driven it 800 miles since buying it without a problem so I will guess that the tune is safe for now.once I get the high flows on I will take it and have it dynotuned just to be sure.

·
Fat Bastad
2,756 Posts
as far as I can tell they are. I bought the truck recently. from what I have figured out the truck has been this way since 07.it came with sct handheld and throws no codes.I have driven it 800 miles since buying it without a problem so I will guess that the tune is safe for now.once I get the high flows on I will take it and have it dynotuned just to be sure.
Unless you're wanting to quiet it down a bit then why not just skip the high flows and spend the money on another mod? Valve body accumulator (shift kit) if you don't already have one, lowering shackles, or any number of other things. All the cats are really going to offer you is a quieter exhaust which is understandable if you have the annoying drone that some complain about that have removed their cats.

Roach

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unless you're wanting to quiet it down a bit then why not just skip the high flows and spend the money on another mod? Valve body accumulator (shift kit) if you don't already have one, lowering shackles, or any number of other things. All the cats are really going to offer you is a quieter exhaust which is understandable if you have the annoying drone that some complain about that have removed their cats.

Roach
Yeah it drones bad. That's why I'm doing the cats. I'll have to see what kind of numbers I get on the current mods before doing anymore. I bought it for a DD on the weekends. I have a 01 H/C trans am for being loud and obnoxious lol.

·
ruffnecks illegitimate brother
3,481 Posts
I would get 2 hi flow cats I just removed my rear cats yesterday and man it is loud I can only imagine how it would sound with straight pipe to the magnaflows.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.