Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What codes would a catless midpipe throw? Or do they have all the necessary hookups. I like the sound on some of the vids. Not my daily driver also

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
9,675 Posts
Does a catless mid pipe still leave the front two cats in place? I don't know this myself. If so, it won't be a problem. I never knew it until last year, but the back two cats on mine are gone. Still have the front two though. I may want to go to high flows, eventually.

Yeah, a local friend of mine has no cats on his L. He can't stand it. He's selling the exhaust on FB and going with two high flows.

Even if all the hookups are there, the deletion of all four of the cats will throw a code. Unless you have a tune with them deleted, as my friend does.

·
Professional Lackey
395 Posts
Your post cat O2 sensors would throw codes, that's about it. I'm running catless mids on my 02 and all I had to have done is have my tuner turn my post cat O2s off in my tune. Other than that it runs great. Though being in Texas I have to be careful where I go to get my inspection done, last July when I went to have it done the inspector asked if I had new cats because my exhaust smelled "gassy" to him.

·
9,675 Posts
Your post cat O2 sensors would throw codes, that's about it. I'm running catless mids on my 02 and all I had to have done is have my tuner turn my post cat O2s off in my tune. Other than that it runs great. Though being in Texas I have to be careful where I go to get my inspection done, last July when I went to have it done the inspector asked if I had new cats because my exhaust smelled "gassy" to him.
Gassy! LMAO! That's one clueless smog inspector.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Ive been running no cats and have been thinking about getting high flows because its so freaking loud even just cruising around. Highway is another story. Like said above I think you just need your rear O2 sensors turned off in the tune. In Texas depending on which county you live in determines if you have to pass emissions or just safety inspection. There have also been plenty of experiments showing no difference in power with or without cats. A really rich tune will eat away at the cats and cause flow issues, its how the previous owner blew the engine.

·
Professional Lackey
395 Posts
Gassy! LMAO! That's one clueless smog inspector.
That's the term the guy used. I did however tell him the cats were about a year old, which isn't a total lie since I had hollow fake cats put in the year before after I had my yearly inspection done.

I will say you can definitely smell the fact it doesn't have actual cats but it doesn't smell as bad as a carbureted engine.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
What codes would a catless midpipe throw? Or do they have all the necessary hookups. I like the sound on some of the vids. Not my daily driver also
I went catless and then put cats back in.

Short version catless was a noticible torque loss at lower rpms, and not worth the very few hp gain up top (for a street driven truck)

·
9,675 Posts
That's the term the guy used. I did however tell him the cats were about a year old, which isn't a total lie since I had hollow fake cats put in the year before after I had my yearly inspection done.

I will say you can definitely smell the fact it doesn't have actual cats but it doesn't smell as bad as a carbureted engine.
One of my motorcycles, when I changed the exhaust, it lost the cat and the exhaust throttle valve (SET valve). Oh yeah I can smell the difference. Has a real "gassy" smell now. LOL!!

·
9,675 Posts
Is that on the B-King?
The M109R. Went from stock with two large torpedo mufflers to a Cobra 2-into-1. B-King has the Yoshimura cat back. Still has the cat and the SET valve. No one makes a full exhaust for them any more. All I can do there is purchase a $350 piece of pipe from Germany that is bent to take the place of the section with the cat and SET valve. Then cut the cat off with a cutoff wheel. Then the new piece can be put in no problemo. Except some kind of device to fool the computer into thinking the o2 sensor is still there. Not planning on doing this, it's loud enough as it is. Removing the SET valve makes it really loud.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
B-King has the Yoshimura cat back. Still has the cat and the SET valve. No one makes a full exhaust for them any more. All I can do there is purchase a $350 piece of pipe from Germany that is bent to take the place of the section with the cat and SET valve. Then cut the cat off with a cutoff wheel. Then the new piece can be put in no problemo. Except some kind of device to fool the computer into thinking the o2 sensor is still there. Not planning on doing this, it's loud enough as it is. Removing the SET valve makes it really loud.
Yeah, I've got the two Kojak pipes for the cat delete and SET valve removal...looked for a Woolich header but they don't make them anymore.

Kind of like trying to find some Lightning parts...

·
9,675 Posts
Yeah, I've got the two Kojak pipes for the cat delete and SET valve removal...looked for a Woolich header but they don't make them anymore.

Kind of like trying to find some Lightning parts...
You have a B-King?

·
9,675 Posts
Sure do...
I didn't know that. Are you a member of BKing.org? I have been since I bought mine. Pretty slow site, as you may expect. They're awesome motorcycles, aren't they?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts